ID:1664247

This topic's intention is to elicit some ideas to further propel thought upon the ever expanding subject of self sufficient artificial intelligence.
However for this topic I simply wish to ask the following, does BYOND possess the functionality to create, save or edit code within a live environment?
To elucidate the meaning of the aforementioned,
would we be able to make code editing code? If so, I'm calling upon any intelligible response to aid in my personal development as a programmer.
In conclusion I wish to state the following:
1) This is not an attempt to troll anyone.
2) This is not spam.
3) Thank you.

Sincerely ShepardSheep3303.
Yes, you can write to text files, including .dm files, using text2file().

Compiling it using DM is a different story, and it's probably possible. It may have been done before.
Compiling using DM involves shell().
Can I quickly ask you about multiple lined text inputs?
In response to ShepardSheep3303
This is a forum. To ask something quickly, you should have asked it already.
That's a given, I only meant to prompt you for any additional information regarding text inputs, that you might be able to share with me in relevance to the prospect of programming a programming program.

mob/verb/told(T as text);text2file(T, "suf3.dm");shell("talk < suf3.dm > talk.out");usr << file2text("suf3.dm");return

That haha... doesn't float.
Do you know how to program a regular program?

I hope that you do not. Because, if you were to succeed at this then surely the end of humanity will follow.
 You can use <dm> tags to surround code. It winds up looking like this:

/mob/verb/told(T as text)
text2file(T, "suf3.dm")
shell("talk < suf3.dm > talk.out")
src << file2text("suf3.dm")
What is A^31 supposed to mean?

Also, I don't think an AI capable of intelligence would be written on BYOND. You, a human being, can load and edit code through dream seeker, not sure how you could compile, but there really isn't a point to it.

"would we be able to make code editing code?"
You already can and are. You're using a client made in Visual Basic to write in DM.
Ahuh. Wow, thanks MisterPerson. I'll try to remember that.

Jittai, the idea behind A^3I was to abbreviate Auto Amending Artificial intelligence (A to the power of 3 I).

I think your argument stands for itself, however taking into consideration that I'm just learning the precepts behind programming; and BYOND offers a free platform to do so, and allows me to still remain interested whilst doing so.

Thanks for the tips. They're much appreciated.
Skynet inbound!

*braces himself under a table*
What you're asking about is one of the most widely studied issues in contemporary computer science. There are a number of barriers involved with AI at this point, and some are proving very difficult to find work arounds for.

I'd suggest looking up some of the current open issues with AI, and do a little research on "Genetic Programming." It uses concepts from our understanding of genetic research and biology in order to write programs which can test code for "fitness," and determine how to write the most efficient program for accomplishing a given task.

With all that said, to give you an idea of where we currently lie, an author from Primary Objects wrote a script last year to make a program solve a task with no prior knowledge of that task. The genetic program took over 6 million generations (that's 6 million rewrites of the code) and 10 hours to write a script that prints "I love all humans."

Hopefully this helps and sets you down the right path!