ID:1664843

Keywords: icon, lag, states
(See the best response by Kaiochao.)
Problem description:
If I use a 128 x 128 base with 500 icon states would I get more lag than using a 32 x 32 base with 50 icon states or does it not matter?
Best response
Including larger icon files into your game will increase the game's resource file size. Players have to download the resource file whenever it changes.

If you don't use preload_rsc, the game will lag while players join and download the file from the game server.

After everyone's joined, it won't be an issue.
Further, I'd like to point out the insanity of 500 icon states for an animated mob icon.

Generally speaking, an artist will work at $0.50 to $1 per frame of 32x32 animation. Given a reasonable speed of 6 minutes per frame, an artist can expect to get at most 10 frames done in an hour. That's working pretty fast. That's only paying $10 an hour. Pixel artists can range from $10-$15 an hour for low-skill, and $20-$25 an hour at high skill.

500 frames of low-skill icon-states is $750. 500 frames of high-skill icon-states is closer to $1250 worth of work.

It's completely insane even for a big-budget project to work at these kind of numbers, much less a BYOND game.