ID:1666088

So I was contacted by a game developer who said his BYOND key is ynorron and that he helped make this game: http://www.byond.com/games/Travylleb/KeybladeWarriors which looks great. He has a team and an investor that his company/games are trying to become hits and make money. He proposed that I pay him $1000 for 5% of the company and they will make a game and I will get 5% of all the profits. Is that a good deal? Because $1000 is a lot of money for me. It is a risk.
Lol I wouldn't do it until the game is up and he proves the game will make money lol or atleast finish the game anyways.
To even see your investment back you're looking at them having to make $20,000. To say that's unlikely is being generous. That's not including the possibility that they just take the money and run.

So no. Don't 'invest' your hard-earned money online.
5% of what profit? If it's by "donation", realistically, how much do you think you will REALLY get? Not to mention the potential C&D from Disney; it cannot go public so there goes the (legal) subscriptions (unlike, for example, NEStalgia).

It sounds like a bad deal; if you were honestly tempted to agree... I recommend you start re-evaluating your thinking process. A list of pro vs con in this situation is helpful as well as asking others as you did.

Overall, I think it's a bad deal. You would be better off investing that money in a GIC or some sort of savings account. (Which, honestly with that amount, will be like <= $1.00 per month...)
@GhostAnime got some great points, and remember that the game is really laggy.. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I personally enjoyed it, but you will never see the money you invested back to your wallet. I'm surprised they only offered 5% for that money because I doubt they've received many decent donations so far.

So yeah, I'm sorry but you should not give your money to him. Not only because it won't benefit you, but also because you'll feel scammed after few days. They're quitting that project (they made a post with that looking for a new person to continue it) so if you put your money on that project you'll earn nothing. And as I said, the game is pretty laggy because they abuse animation(), and they also have Disney Characters even though they changed the names, lol, so they might have big issues if they ever attempt to earn some huge amount of $
Lol, they made a post about them quitting there project you'd have to be pretty dumb to invest, especially while only recieving 5percent. Projects with more than one or two programmers tend to fail..
I was thinking in not investing. By the way, it won't be that Kingdom Hearts game they will make. It will be another game.
To clarify some points to prevent any taint on my name:

1. The game he would be investing in is not the KH game, it's a game we're working on at the moment, the name is "Transcendence".

2. @Eternal, as far as I know the cause of lag shouldn't be animate()(I believe that runs on the client side) as much as pixel movement is once the player count starts stacking up. Also, when we hosted with a good server there was no lag 90% of the time, for the majority of the players unless they had bad internet connections.

3. Yes it is a risk, there's no doubt about that. However
I wouldn't be taking on this responsibility if I didn't think it was worth the risk. For anybody that's willing to invest in anything they have to be willing to lose the money, I made this very clear to him. That being the case I'd rather have them be part of the team and believe in us instead of it all being about the money, in the end if it's all for nothing at least we had a fun journey there. But time will speak for itself. We're going to put in the work and effort into this project and hopefully with a little luck things work out well.
It has Keyblades, Disney characters, Shadows... Take them away and the game is empty, by the way, you made a thread some weeks ago related to creating a project with $1000 in the past, it kinda feels like the guy you talked to was aware of that and tried to convince you of giving him that money. So I highly recommend you not to give a single cent to him/the project, it'll go nowhere. It was a good attempt of creating a Kingdom Hearts game, but let's be serious, they can not replace every single detail in the game and make it look legit at it's current state. It's too noticeable, if anything, they'd need to create everything from scratch.

But yeah, you could say it was a success at trying to imitate Kingdom Hearts even though they didn't go too far.

/Edit/ Okay I just noticed you were talking about the new game they're creating, well, in that case you could try. I still think that $1000 for 5% is a lot though. I don't know how much money has NEStalgia made so far, but you'd basically need that game to earn $20k to recover your money, and if it's through BYOND Subscriptions then it'd be harder as they also take some % of each transaction. If you feel comfortable with it then do it, I honestly believe that the people who worked on that game were great, but it'll take them long to get a good project (as any other game, of course).
They had a pretty large team of pixel artists I believe and a few coders yet they couldn't finish that kingdom heart game within a year. Use your brain and figure out why it wouldn't be a good idea. You might as well donate $1000 to BYOND if your so desperate to get rid of your money
Enlighten me on where you guys get your $20,000 valuation of your company. I usually like to step in here and say TDC is doing something over his head... This is kinda the same but I am worried about the guys finances.

If you guys are offering company equity, and its legit for real investors then I might throw some money in if I can do my diligence.
I agree with every post about why you shouldn't do it. Use that money for something better you'd really enjoy. Not on something with such high risk and many many cons to it.
In response to Zagros5000
KH was created by just two people, Me and Travy. I don't know where you're getting this information from.
Lol either way its a scam. If you want to invest, invest in Yut Put Epic series!
Key thing here his they're trying to become a hit. The KH game looks okay even though it's made by two, but see if they can make something or at least show that they can make the money back before you consider buying a share for 5%.
Key thing here is they haven't finished a game
Okay I don't think I will end up doing this. Forget it. I think I will invest that $1000 or something in stocks, gold or something. I think this is it. We can lock this thread now.
TheDarkChakra wrote:
So I was contacted by a game developer who said his BYOND key is ynorron and that he helped make this game: http://www.byond.com/games/Travylleb/KeybladeWarriors which looks great. He has a team and an investor that his company/games are trying to become hits and make money. He proposed that I pay him $1000 for 5% of the company and they will make a game and I will get 5% of all the profits. Is that a good deal? Because $1000 is a lot of money for me. It is a risk.

you could always pay me 1k for some pixel art and you can make your own game ;) im taking offers!
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:
TheDarkChakra wrote:

you could always pay me 1k for some pixel art and you can make your own game ;) im taking offers!

best bet
I am contacting these guys later tonight when I am home to see what they are about. Chances are to me they might be your regular "BYOND" company. But I will get back to anyone who really wants to know how business developed they are.
Page: 1 2