nice !. when will be the latest release if i may ask?
It is available on the download page as 507.1249.
Connection broken by server (error code 9).
still error. i've updated to 1249.
http://www.byond.com/play/93.95.149.218:49979

==
Logging in...connected
Logged in as Gojan.
Sat Aug 30 15:01:02 2014
World opened on network port 49979.
Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Beta Version 507.1249)
In response to Tom
I'm still getting error code 9 in 507.1249.

Test Link: http://www.byond.com/play/24.113.193.54:6001

Still, http://www.byond.com/play/localhost:6001 is the only link that lets me fully connect.
Tom changed status to 'Open'
Nuts. I guess we'll have to do more testing on that. Sorry. There is a tiny chance that I didn't build the release properly, so I uploaded a clean copy again (still as 1249). Why don't you download & install one more time.. although I really would be shocked if this made a difference.
I can confirm that the latest 1249 build does not fix the problem. The message "Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" appears in the Chrome console.

You should attempt to check this according to the following (if you're not already trying to do this):

1. After DreamDaemon opens a port and contacts the hub, try to connect to itself using the internet_address provided by the hub. If this fails or the remote server is not the same DreamDaemon instance (routers can be running services on any port) notify the BYOND Hub about this race condition + the value of world.address.

2. When a client connects and their IP address == the internet_address AND the above condition is true, have them connect to world.address instead of world.internet_address.

The only conceivable case I can think of where this would fail is if the client is on a different subnet from the host but shares the same external IP address, and the router won't share that subnet with the client. In this case if the condition in #1 is false it should still succeed, mitigating this problem, and if it were to return true it would have failed anyway(?)

I hope I was able to help!
Hrm. The fact that this is still failing suggests your IP as seen by the game isn't the same as world.address, but is actually just the router's address. Which is stupid on the router's part if so, but we still need to deal with it. Maybe I can at least do a subnet check.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Some routers confused the connection handshake process.
Can one of you try http://www.byond.com/download/build/507/507.1250_byond.zip to confirm that fixes the problem?
Tried it, still can't connect.

I've printed the value of world.address and BYOND is reporting the IP address of the wrong network interface, so that's a bug.

world.internet_address points to the right IP address.
world.address always points to the local IP it knows, so it will differ behind a router. What's your world.address showing, and what is your LAN address?
world.address = 192.168.216.1
My actual LAN address is 192.168.1.100
Are you sure we're on the same page, Sir Lazarus? You mentioned "Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" which is actually that you couldn't connect to the game properly at all, and that doesn't relate to the issue in this thread.

I'm also not seeing any evidence in our hub logs that you had a failure of this kind (recently, anyway).
The Chrome console shows the following message (just tried it):

GET http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5000/play net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

It looks like the first thing the webclient attempts to do is connect to the server using its known internet_address, which isn't going to work in my case as my router is not configured to loopback the connection (this is a deliberate configuration on my part, but others may not have a choice).

IMO the solution is to check if the webclient client's IP == world.internet_address and if so to connect via world.address instead (which the hub should also know about).

I'm connecting directly by IP using the URL provided by DreamDaemon, not through a hub entry.
In response to Sir Lazarus
Sir Lazarus wrote:
The Chrome console shows the following message (just tried it):

GET http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5000/play net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

It looks like the first thing the webclient attempts to do is connect to the server using its known internet_address, which isn't going to work in my case as my router is not configured to loopback the connection (this is a deliberate configuration on my part, but others may not have a choice).

As long as port forwarding is setup, the lack of a loopback won't matter.

But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is for when users connect to the game, but get a "Connection broken by server (error code 9)". The users who are experiencing that do have a loopback setup, and the IP address being different than expected is apparently what was causing the confusion. That's what we're hoping they can test and be sure this is resolved properly.

I'm connecting directly by IP using the URL provided by DreamDaemon, not through a hub entry.

If you don't have port forwarding or a loopback setup, that will never work. It's just the same as the way the byond://ip:port link provided in DD won't work either.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is for when users connect to the game, but get a "Connection broken by server (error code 9)". The users who are experiencing that do have a loopback setup, and the IP address being different than expected is apparently what was causing the confusion. That's what we're hoping they can test and be sure this is resolved properly.

Sorry for the confusion! I misunderstood the topic and thought the problem was with routers that didn't forward the connection at all.

If you don't have port forwarding or a loopback setup, that will never work. It's just the same as the way the byond://ip:port link provided in DD won't work either.

It's possible to catch this problem though, and through that to offer the right IP address. Otherwise connections through hub entries won't work either, which may be confusing to hosts.
If you're not forwarding at all, how can anyone join? Yes, the site could detect you're on the same IP as the game and send you to localhost instead, but that won't help for other users.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
If you're not forwarding at all, how can anyone join? Yes, the site could detect you're on the same IP as the game and send you to localhost instead, but that won't help for other users.

I do use port forwarding, and "BYOND hub reports port 5000 can be reached by players."

So others can join fine.

But anyone on my internal network needs to use the internal IP address to connect. The router will not forward connections from anyone inside the network.

I misunderstood and thought the problem being reported was about certain routers not routing connections if the request came from a machine on the inside.
Ah, so we have an onion layering problem then. I don't think that's really a big deal at all as it's really the host's concern. It'd work the same way as a byond://ip:port link.
Page: 1 2 3