ID:1668646

Resolved
The BLEND_ADD and BLEND_MULTIPLY (and default BLEND_OVERLAY) blend_modes are now supported in the webclient.
BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome
Applies to:Webclient

This issue has been resolved.
This messes up a bunch of games with complex lighting systems
This isn't a bug; it's documented. I'd like to support blend_mode in the future if it's possible, but I haven't found out how yet. It may or may not require additional features in StageXL.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
"Not a bug" is not the same as "We are rolling back features until we figure out what we're doing"
Ooh, StageXL does support it after all! Now that's interesting. I'll see what I need to toss in there. I'm having trouble finding it in the documentation, just mentions of it here and there on other page.

Sadly it looks like I did not leave room in the map message format, but I can work something out. Since the client is delivered by the server, altering that shouldn't cause any compatibility problems.
Maybe you could just put the webclient source up on Github now rather than later and we can all pitch in with pull requests.
Well the server side of it (the message format) isn't open-source so that wouldn't help anyway. But as far as the Dart code, we do plan to get that up at some point.

Looks like we may need a newer version of StageXL to handle blend modes. The library is in constant flux as it's very bleeding-edge stuff; I don't think blend modes were even a real option before. I'm still not sure I can tell how to apply them, but anyway I do plan to get this feature in.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Well the server side of it (the message format) isn't open-source so that wouldn't help anyway. But as far as the Dart code, we do plan to get that up at some point.

That's the point of an open-source ecosystem... If you open-source the client, and the messages are documented enough, then you wouldn't have to take the time to figure out how to implement the client functionality. All you'd have to do is modify the message format to include the blend modes. I'm not sure why that wasn't included in the map message format anyway, as blend modes are part of the DS/DD message schema right?
DD/DS handle these things much differently. DD is sending Appearances to DS, whereas the thin client is letting the server handle all the work of determining which icons go where.
Please consider changing this to a verified bug. This is a regression, and if it isn't fixed, we'll have to revert a lot of work on our lighting system that used blend modes.
Looks like this is now in StageXL 0.10 (previously in beta) so we can try it out in a future update.
Tom resolved issue with message:
The BLEND_ADD and BLEND_MULTIPLY (and default BLEND_OVERLAY) blend_modes are now supported in the webclient.
There is no built-in support for BLEND_SUBTRACT so hopefully you don't need that. There are some other blend modes (such as the useful "screen" mode) we could enable just for the webclient eventually as well.