ID:1668653

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 36.0.1985.143
Applies to:Webclient

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: I use 40fps, with a 1088x832 screen resolution, view size with a 17x13 view size upscaled by a factor of 2.

I notice a lot of screen tearing especially when moving diagonally in the web client. I also notice a lot of intermittent rendering lag about half the time when moving.

Expected Results:

Rendering to be smooth

Actual Results:

Rendering is choppy.
I have noticed some issues with the higher-framerate games. I'll be looking into that to see what I can find.

For the screen tearing, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the icons are breaking apart on render and not looking like they're seamlessly tiled? That's something we'd definitely want to improve on; I'm not sure where in the guts of StageXL it'd be handled.
Basically, what it looks like, is the top half of the client is rendering normally, but the bottom half renders just a little bit to the right/left in the movement direction. It's like the game isn't frame-locked. It's a pretty standard looking vertical tearing problem.
I'm gonna need a screenshot or something. Preferably a test case too.

It could well be that the issue is browser-side and StageXL isn't locking this down. Actually that's probably most likely. In any case we'll want to do something about it.
Here's a recording of it. Licecap can't capture this at 40fps, so it's not nearly as obvious in the gif as it is for me when I'm playing, but it's pretty apparent to me when I am using the client.

http://www.gfycat.com/AncientUnfitFrogmouth

You'll notice it starts out really jumpy, then the screen tearing starts up as it speeds up. These effects are visible for me constantly while I use the new client. I just get a lot of vertical screen tearing and a lot of very jumpy gameplay. When the gameplay isn't jumpy, the screen tearing gets worse.
I've been looking at the FPS meter, and it's looking like a large part of the problem is that my chrome tab is rendering at 30fps, while the game is meant to render at 40fps.

I'm not sure if it's because the update events are actually capping the frame out at 30fps, though.
Ah, interesting. I wonder if the browser or the stage has some kind of built-in limit here. If so, maybe there's a way to skip frames.

That site with the recording doesn't seem to be working for me.
Yeah, looks like we are indeed capping to 30fps instead of relying on the tick-lag. That is easy to change, so I'll update and we can see if that's the problem.

Also, I just noticed that WebGL is disabled on browsers by default, so you should ensure that is on (in chrome it's in the flags).
Yeah, I went through and played with my settings and enabled WebGL trying to resolve this issue. Seems to have not affected me very much.
I added some code to sync with the tick-lag, so hopefully that solves the problem. It'll be out with the next update and you can let us know.
Thanks Tom! Will do.
Just tested this in the new version of the webclient. Screen tearing is still there, the occasional chunkiness of movement is also still there. Though, the page is now rendering at 60fps.

Usually vertical tearing like this is cause by not having vsync set to on in OpenGL.
World Fps set to 40. Monitor Resolution 1920x1080.

This also happends on the normal client. When you Maximize the screen and resize to 32 or 48 the game starts to lag badly and FPs drops from 40 to 5-10.