ID:1673566

Keywords: ftp, movies, project
Hello,

I have a ftp server that has around 200 movies and I would like to buy a mini pc and set it up to my big television to watch these movies. I would need some kind of cool browser/interface sorta-kinda like sharepoint. Maybe sorting abilities and such too. I was creating a web site that would automatically open when the OS started up, but I had issues with html5 not supporting many codacs and file extensions. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Plex seems like a cool program, what do you think?

Thanks,
Ripper man5
Do you have a PS3/4 or Xbox?

These support Windows Media Server streaming and PS3 Media Server streaming if you can install that and it is local.
I do not have any Console systems.
I have a similar setup to what you seem to want, and XBMC works wonders.

edit: I don't know if it will work with FTP, mine pulls from a server that's in my roomate's room.
Plex works well with the FTP. So many great programs out there. :) I think I will try Plex for a while I think. I have 2 TBs of movies that my parents want there hands on, but them viewing them in File Explorer would be to complicated. My Wireless router is a RT-AC68U so speeds are not an issue.

Thanks.
I use FreeNas as a storage server,

you basically build 1 pc with tons of hdd's load the freenas OS on it and set it to your ip and users etc etc and people can store on it, no ftp program needed.

ANYWAYS...

FreeNas also comes with media stream with it which allows your pc's or other devices such as Consoles,TV's to connect to it to access any files off of it and use them.

and if you want you can even use PLEX cause it comes with a plexmediaserver plugin, and if you torrent, it comes with a torrent plugin it also has a simple web interface(for me atleast).

http://www.freenas.org/about/features.html
Can't go past Plex, especially with Plex Pass.
In response to Ripper man5
Ripper man5 wrote:

Get one.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Ripper man5 wrote:

Get one.

PC master race
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Xirre wrote:
Ripper man5 wrote:

Get one.

PC master race

I agree. But, get a console to solve your issue.