ID:1675718

(See the best response by GhostAnime.)
I'd just like to preface my post with saying that I know there are demos for how to make card games in the Developer's Resources section.

I downloaded ANiChowy's and Kunark's (though I got an error when trying to download EchoGohan's) demos and was able to learn a lot from them. What I'm looking for, however, is a tutorial (something similar to Zilal's "Checker's Deconstruction") that walks the reader through the making of a basic card game step by step.

Reading the source code for a demo is of course useful, but by going through the making of it along with the programmer, while they explain why they are doing what they're doing, is more beneficial to the learning process (at least for a low level programmer like me).

Zilal mentioned that she was going to make an Uno tutorial, but she never seemed to. I was wondering if someone else may have made something similar, and I just couldn't find it listed anywhere.

Thanks for any info.
Best response
I don't think there's a tutorial around for making a card system but you can make one yourself.

The key thing is to break it down and make them in to small "demos" per sé.

For example, make the basis of your card system. That is the Draw/End turn command. Make sure you can switch players, add in other phases/abilities, etc.

As soon as you get your very basic battle system down, make a sample deck with only your cards of interest made. Then advance your battle system (ex: attacking/defending, energy, etc.)

I showed an example of the basic Battle system here: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1672922#comment11897603
Thanks GhostAnime.

I understand the "breaking it down into small parts" idea. And not that it matters, but I'm not trying to make a TCG, just a simple card game that is played with a standard deck of cards.

And as far as making a tutorial myself, believe me, I would love to have the ability to do so, but now, for me, it would simply be impossible.

I'll certainly try, given what I've learned from available demos. I'm just afraid that I'll end up needing too much help and asking too many questions that people get sick of reading my posts.

The biggest hurdle I think I'll face is simply getting the cards to appear on the "table" or in the players' hands.

Anyway, I'll give it a shot.
I made an uno clone for fun one night and I could send it to ya. No graphics though - all text. Also made it so you can play with ai which I made pretty tough XD

The ai will actually try to change to the color that they have the most of and will hold off on using wild cards.

And I could add the graphics if you actually use it.