ID:167872

I'm making a small little game (that'll reuse some functions for certin people in a certin other game :P) that let's you "reprogram" stuff. What I mean is this:

_________ __________
|Commands|Reprogram |
|------------/!~-Files-~! |
|Mobs Objs Turfs --------|
|Add Icon Create -------|
|___________________|

Mobs:
Edit the mobs code

Objs:
Edit the Objs code

Turfs:
Edit the turfs code

Add icon:
Adds an icon to file

Create:
Create Mobs/Objs/Turfs.
You can't change DM code, per se, as it's compiled at (surprisingly) compile time.

What you can do is make your own language (using the BYOND game to parse it) and have objects use that, or, possibly, write something that can understand DM in the same way you would make the game parse your own language (by finding keywords in text and such).

I'm sure there are other ways to do similar things, and better ways to explain it, so wait until someone more knowledgeable than I posts on this thread, too.
If I understand what you want, you want to actually be able to program objects to do specific things in DM. If so, you can't actually reprogram something already compiled. (without the use of shell(), but it sometimes gets more annoying than it would be as a pro) Your best bet is to make your objects as flexible as they can be, or create a scripting language for your object to read. The scripting language could read text, and parse it as commands.

~~> Unknown Person