ID:1678928

I don't know about you guys, but I thought that clicking links, especially in Twitch chat of all places, was something everyone knew was a bad idea. Some streams even have links outright banned, and have "no posting links" as their first or second stream rule.

Despite all of this, someone has designed malware and distributed it via Twitch chat in the form of "raffle links". Once it's on your computer, the hacker proceeds to make a profit from selling your Steam items.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/12/6141633/ twitch-chat-malware-is-emptying-gamers-steam-accounts

Remember kids: There is always a sucker. No exceptions. Wherever you go in life, there will be at least one moron retarded enough to fall for whatever your scheme is, regardless of how obviously shady it is. Some of us are just inherently skeptical enough to not click random Twitch links, others must have their Steam accounts emptied before they come to the realization that it's not a smart thing to do.
It does still amaze me that people fall for this. I guess there was a time when I was that naive, though. I can't help but be ridiculously cynical about everything these days.
We still get one or two people a month coming in and wanting to send thousands of dollars to some lottery company in Nigeria through Western Union. That's been going on for 15 years, and people still fall for it. People are gullible.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
We still get one or two people a month coming in and wanting to send thousands of dollars to some lottery company in Nigeria through Western Union. That's been going on for 15 years, and people still fall for it. People are gullible.

My Dad had a friend he grew up with in high school. She called him one time and said that she got an e-mail from some Nigerian prince or something that wanted to give her an inheritance of like $500,000. She called to ask my Dad if he thought it was real.

He spent like 15 minutes telling her it was a scam and to not go through with it. She said she was going to go through with it anyway, and sent her bank account information and everything to this "Nigerian prince". She never called back to update us on her new brilliantly lavish lifestyle thanks to her $500,000 inheritance.

I think its safe to assume that's because she never got it.
:|

This is why we can't have nice things. 'Merica.

Honestly, I have yet to see malware links on Twitch. I see a lot of view count bot ads I get since I stream and a lot of CS GO imgur links advertising cards or whatever it's called. However, I have yet to encounter malware. And I know malware when I see it. I've gone through 3 reformats as a result of malware and finally fully understood how to avoid malware and more without needing an antivirus either. The thing is... it's so easy to avoid nowadays. Windows and your browser make it so damn friggin' easy. I show no mercy to these idiots. Mind you, it's been 7 years since I've encountered any virus without the need of an antivirus. Google is my saviour.
i havent had a virus in a while too. i think the last time i had one was some years ago when i went to some rom site. then i went to click on their download section or something and a bunch of hentai advertisements popped up, so i closed the window. but then another window just opened by itself and said "Viruses detected on your computer. Click here to buy our award winning security software!" and every time i closed it, it would just re-open.

i was like ERMEGERD, HERE WE GER.
Lol. You know what was going down. Lmfao. Removing those bastards is a pain. But, when you know your computer you can remove it in a matter of minutes ot seconds.

ERMEGERD, HERE WE GER.
I'm going to screenshot my most hated error message as soon as it pops up again. It happens at least once everyday.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:

Sooo.. I'm not getting the Nigerian prince's fortune?

In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Flick wrote:

Sooo.. I'm not getting the Nigerian prince's fortune?

LOOOOOOOL!!!!