ID:1679570

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 37.0.2062.120
Applies to:Webclient

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Performing a Translate transform on an image with maptext produces different results in DS and the webclient. Maptext is not translated in DS, while it is in the webclient.

Demo
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

Which behavior is more desirable? If other transforms are being applied to text, it seems like excluding translation would be inconsistent. We can probably do this whichever way but right now it does the straightforward thing of treating text just like rendered graphics.
Honestly, translating the text along with the image makes more sense, although I did just finish making a tooltip function that takes advantage of the other way ;) I can work around that. I'm not sure if others have used that behavior or not though. I'm fine with either, as long as its consistent.
Being able to choose what you can exclude from transforms would be pretty awesome -- as it stands you're forced to apply them to overlays and underlays, but sometimes that's not desirable, the same can be said for maptext.
In general, it would be nice to have a way to anchor an object's position with another's. That way, we could have had a completely new atom type specifically for maptext (no need for maptext_* variables on all atoms), and maybe even deprecate the overlays and underlays lists. Anchored objects would be easily modifiable (and animatable and flickable), unlike overlays, which you have to remove and re-add. Problems with that would just be loss of efficient, appearance-based overlays and float layer functionality, which would have to be reimplemented.
Alright, I worked around it :) Should work fine in DS or the webclient now.

While the above requested features would be nice, and I'm all for them at some point, for now, I think I vote for applying translate to maptext, which LummoxJR mentioned wanting to do a few times earlier.

Thanks again for all the work you guys have done recently (and not so recently), and for the huge pile of bug fixes in the last week or so. Looks like LummoxJR may be taking a well deserved break for a few days? Enjoy it :)
Nope, not on an extended break; just the weekend. This week my duties will be a little more divided though.
Heh, I forget about weekends. I don't really get them. Hope you enjoyed it anyway.