ID:1682114

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
There's not much to do as a member. We get that. However, can there be something fun left for us to do? We had the member forums and member pages with the purrty CSS, which couldn't work out.

Well, how about a BYOND Member pick? You already have a poll system in play.

All BYOND members could then, once a month, vote on which games are their favorite. So new and non-members can see which games are the top 3 most-liked.

It would show those 3 games in a row on the byond.com/games page at the top at the end of the month. So, in a sense, it will always be last month's most picked games that will show on the game page.

However, in the vote page, members will be able to see which games are currently in the lead for the current month. This way they can check out those games before they further their vote.

Requirements for this feature?:

http://byond.com/vote - Allows a user to search and select a published hub. Already voted for hubs should have a [+] next to it so users can upvote that game without having to search. Which I see is done in the credit system and other places. It should also display the number of votes before the [+].

• The vote page must have 3 sections for the 3 games. Section 1 will be Single-player games, 2 is for Multi-player games, 3 is for both. All of which are already a part of the hub system but aren't significantly used.

http://byond.com/games should feature the winning game's icon and name at the end of the vote time (once a month), saying "This Month's Top Picked Games" and featuring the 3 games with their respective game types above them.

• Telling users to vote: If a user is a member and has NOT voted yet, then he or she should receive a notification in the top left corner where the BYOND atom is, like I see done already with the notification to instruct people what a red spinning one means, what a read stopped one means, what blue means. It also already has a hide and don't ask again button. That, in which should be included in the vote notification as well as a "tell me next month" notification.

Purpose of this?: Let's the community feel less boring. :/
I like this, however, I feel categories should be:

* single player
* multi-player

* single player updated in last 30 days
* multi-player updated in last 30 days

Just my thoughts.
I think this would be a waste of time to work on. IMO the developers should focus on the DM suite (Seeker+Maker+Daemon) and the webclient and leave the rest up to us to figure out.

There's virtually nothing we can't accomplish with the tools we have today, and I think BYOND Staff has already invested too much time in endeavours that didn't end up making it.

I know it's not up to me, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. No hostile intention here; please don't take me the wrong way.

(Somewhat on-topic: I've been focusing on http://www.byonddev.com for the past couple of days and it's slowly making progress. I'm hoping to build something stable and then ask help from experienced developers to help populate the site and turn it into a worthy resource. I'm not convinced it's within the scope of my project but perhaps I could also add functionality like this if there's a lot of demand for it-- not that I can affect hub listings or anything like that, but it would save them the time.)
Much as I like elements of the idea, anything remotely like this that we've tried before has been a time sink. Actually at the moment I'm purging a lot of old cruft out of our site code so we can simplify. (Much of it is remnants of the old guild setup that were tucked away but never truly severed during the big forum update.)
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Much as I like elements of the idea, anything remotely like this that we've tried before has been a time sink. Actually at the moment I'm purging a lot of old cruft out of our site code so we can simplify. (Much of it is remnants of the old guild setup that were tucked away but never truly severed during the big forum update.)

I understand. Just a thought to keep things interesting. What's programming if it's all seriousness and no fun? It's just another thing that makes us robots. That's why this just crossed my mind.

Just curious, would explaining the logic of how to go about our feature requests help you develop at all? Just to take the workload off of your shoulders. Sort of like pseudocode or even just talking about the requirements.
Typically a feature request for the software that's well thought-out has a better chance of being implemented. E.g., how it would be handled with vars/procs, how the server would communicate this to the client, etc.--and of course it has to be feasible. We've tended to shy away from any risk of var soup though, because we already have so many vars and feature creep, while fun, makes maintenance that much harder.

Website ideas tend to face much more inertia, largely because I hate adding site features. But also, anything that complicates our database and queries already has a strike against it.
Seems fair enough. Iv'e only ever posted 1 feature request I extremely 'needed'. But, didn't thoroughly explain it like I did this one. Though, this is not a necessity. It's a want. I'll remember this for future posts. And, if you don't mind, I'll look over my other post that wasn't well thought through and see whether or not you'd approve or have time for it.