ID:1689633

I arrived late at the Log Horizon hype train but just thought I'd link this for people who haven't seen it yet. It's basically Sword Art Online with less action and more humor.

The segment I'm referring to starts at 13 minutes and ends at 21 minutes, so if you don't want to spoil any of the plot, just start the video at 13 mins and close the video at around 21 minutes when the scene is over.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/log-horizon/ episode-12-the-forest-of-lagranda-645645

This particular episode depicts 5 lower level players attempting to complete their first dungeon. I laughed pretty hard at this, you can tell whoever wrote the story played his fair share games because the dialog and how uncoordinated they were was just on point. If you ever played WoW or any MMORPG you should relate to this immediately.
Nice, I really like Log horizon, it's plot is similar to sao, but what most people don't know is that, this isn't set in some future where people play in virtual reality games.

It's a more modern day and our main guy normally plays the game Elder Tale on his PC, but one night he wakes up inside the game, along with thousands of other people, but once he realises there's no way of logging out... he doesn't even consider escaping, he just thinks about adapting to his new world, (this would be a dream come true after all) and also he's a support character and a strategist.

I'm Glad you finally got round to watching it (season 2's coming soon)lol, and yeah there's a lot of stuff which makes it really seem like an MMO, with all the mechanics and surroundings.

on point, yeah lol that's usually how i do dungeons too :P
Yeah. The scary thing about SAO is that when you got trapped in the game, you had your "real" self outside the game to worry about.

In Log Horizon, your character in the game IS your real self ( I'm assuming ), so now you are bound by the game world and when you die, you simply respawn which is certainly better than our "when you die, you're gone forever".

The protagonist seems to be a veteran at the game. I think season 2 would be more interesting if they had gone back in time and showed us when he first started playing the game, the formation of The Debauchery Tea Party, and everything they accomplished up until their disband.
I liked Log Horizon because it complemented SAO nicely. Log Horizon going into the nitty gritty of MMO gameplay was awesome since I played WoW and Old Republic for years on end. It was all about theorycrafting and elite players conquering the world through both politics and gameplay.

SAO on the other hand was much simpler, but better portrayed the hopelessness of being stuck in a game that could kill you. Plus there was decent romance and a ton of fun action. It was more emotionally satisfying than Log Horizon (while LH was more intellectually satisfying).

Looking forward to season 2 in October.
I liked season 2 of SAO.

Never watched Log Horizon heard it was good from a friend but the main character looks to lame for me.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
I liked season 2 of SAO.

Never watched Log Horizon heard it was good from a friend but the main character looks to lame for me.

The main character is a bause! He can summon magic thorns and ride griffons and stuff! Show some respect to Shiroe-san!

I did not like Log Horizon. While I may have finished it, I loathed the last few episodes. I hated it even more for its close similarity to SAO and the fact that it wasn't even close in comparison to SAO. If you want to fight about my opinion, page me and I'll give you a time and place. Prepare yourself for a smackdown.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
I did not like Log Horizon. While I may have finished it, I loathed the last few episodes. I hated it even more for its close similarity to SAO and the fact that it wasn't even close in comparison to SAO. If you want to fight about my opinion, page me and I'll give you a time and place. Prepare yourself for a smackdown.

Pfft, why argue in the pager? We can scrap right here, right now bro. Come at me with your inferior opinions nerd. Challenge accepted.

SAO sucks. Once Kirito started playing the other MMO Alfheim or whatever the series went downhill. Shiroe-san would own Kirito in a duel. Kirito would go charging in but Shiroe-san would use his thorns of ultimate destruction and delete him off the face of Akihabara. Let's not forget Kirito stood by and watched his party die before like a helpless little chipmunk. Meanwhile in Elder Tale, Shiroe-san was busy leading the greatest guild in his games history.

Now get out.
I'm telling Tom you're bullying me. Cyberbullying is bad!
Cloud Magic wrote:
Oh, this is Log Horizon? I watched like the first 3 episodes. They were repeating the same corny stupid humor constantly in between the half-decent scenes and I was ready to tear my hair out.

It's one of those situations where you have to put up with the BS for the first few episodes before it starts to get interesting.

Breaking Bad was kinda like that for me. When it first started coming on television it really didn't draw me in, I was like "WTF? Bryan Cranston, chemistry teacher? Whatever." But like a couple weeks later I was going through the channels and Breaking Bad was on again and I decided to watch it even though it was already mid-episode. It was a lot more interesting than the pilot and I was tuning in ever since.

So now whenever I watch an anime I usually don't quit after the first few episodes. Sometimes things don't really pick up until episode 6-10 range. Log Horizon might be especially slow since they attempt to do a lot of explaining things us gamers already know. I assume this is because they want to make sure the non-gamers understand what's happening as well. The anime spends time explaining what experience is, or what cooldown timers are, and what each class does, which can make the first few episodes seem to move slower for people like us who didn't need to be introduced to all those terms.
Lol KHR(Katekyo Hitman Reborn!) is a perfect example took a lot of people until episode 20 to start liking it. Though I liked the first 20 episodes.

Back on note, I will eventually prob give Log Horizon a look whenever I get bored and need something to watch.. maybe..
In response to EmpirezTeam
SAO sucks. Once Kirito started playing the other MMO Alfheim or whatever the series went downhill. Shiroe-san would own Kirito in a duel. Kirito would go charging in but Shiroe-san would use his thorns of ultimate destruction and delete him off the face of Akihabara. Let's not forget Kirito stood by and watched his party die before like a helpless little chipmunk. Meanwhile in Elder Tale, Shiroe-san was busy leading the greatest guild in his games history.

Now get out.

This.^^^^^^^^!
First off, Log Horizon is nothing...like SAO the fact that your comparing it means your weaboo is weak. If you are comparing it to any animu on the sole basis that they get stuck in a game its more like the .hack series' in that sense...though I'd understand why .hack doesn't come to your mind...no one wants it even in their brain...

Horizon has a deeper underlying plot going on. Which like empirez said is probably going to be slowly paced because they have to cater to viewers who may have never played an MMO.

Log Horizon unlike SAO has a strategy point to it that makes it far more superior(for me personally) sure I love a good sword smashing melee fight, but nothing is like shiroe's plans gives off that feeling akin to lelouch although not as deep. I also like that Log Horizon explains as much as it possibly can about its lore. While sao its more like mmk so were stuck...n we can't get out...o btw this game this vast world were in we know nothing about the plot except that everything about this games world is a big race quest. "Thanks for logging into our game kk now you race everyone to top of tower n u win okai?"

SAO on the other hand was much simpler, but better portrayed the hopelessness of being stuck in a game that could kill you. Plus there was decent romance and a ton of fun action. It was more emotionally satisfying than Log Horizon (while LH was more intellectually satisfying).

I suppose...since the circumstances were different for both series' characters that there is automatically that emotional connection or empathetic scenario of "what if I was trapped". There is only a difference in how they chose to approach the scenario. As for romance, it's there. It's building and its taking its time to do it. Log Horizon is really pacing itself while as SAO they had a plot to do in 26 episodes so lets have the protagonists fall in love from the get go so we can move on to incest romance. By about episode 10 or so of Log Horizon you can tell it isn't intended to be a short running series due to the pacing.(I honestly though they would go straight to 50 but I suppose everyone splits things in seasons now a days to be 'safe' in animation).
---PS. If you felt nothing @ episode 19 of LH your heart may be just as cold as Ebeneezer Scrooge

@Xirre how could you dislike the last few episodes o.o? Especially the final one with that character appearance...those final episodes were to let you know that the next season the they about to clash with some real ass *****
In response to WeabooGamesInc
Ah that's a comment i'm happy to see!

I'm glad someone else notices how different Log horizon is compared to SAO, i won't try to interrupt someone else's opinion, but they share no similarities besides.. their reality is not real because they are inside of a game. While one is into a futuristic new game, the other is sucked into a regular pc game like wow/ffxiv/guildwars etc.

@Cloud: That's cool, yeah i really enjoyed the fresh feeling of log horizon and how to it felt like i was watching an mmo being played out, and as it got further, it unravelled more mechanics and end game content.. it felt like my struggles in ffxiv lol :) (plus i do like comedy anime), Well it's pretty rare for everyone to like an anime anyway, i'm lucky that i haven't seen an anime i haven't enjoyed yet :) Do you have an anime planet or anything :)?
Kissanime is for superior streaming life.(Sure you may have to wait a few more hours than Crunchyroll but all eps are HD Youtube Player links)
In response to WeabooGamesInc
WeabooGamesInc wrote:
Kissanime is for superior streaming life.(Sure you may have to wait a few more hours than Crunchyroll but all eps are HD Youtube Player links)

++ And it has more anime at that. I was a CR user but my time was up now I use kissanime. The only con is the time difference you wait for a release :(
I don't mind waiting a few hours for 1080p sick n tired of animeultima out hur...
So much happened on season 2s first episode! This season is gonna be the shyt.
Yeah, the animations changed!, but anyhow That ep was fun :) Let's see what shiroe has up his sleeve now.
I don't know how people enjoyed that episode. The pacing of the story was such a total clusterfuck that it made every scene change jarring and weird. It was by far the worst episode of Log Horizon that's aired, and that includes all the lame "lets throw a stupid moe party!" stuff from season 1.

I also didn't like the animation change. It looked like a step backwards to me.

All in all if there aren't some improvements to the direction of these episodes I may end up dropping it.
Their clearly doing it on purpose it will all come together full circle later is what it is looking like...the main thing that should be retained was the meeting and the guy from the song cleaning armor.
Page: 1 2 3