ID:1690542

(See the best response by Phat T.)
Hey guys so i am new here. Recently i became interested in making a 2d game...the problem is though i know nothing about programming. I read some of the blue book thing though. Only chapter 1&2 made sense (kinda). But when i reached chapter 3 and skimmed beyond i got lost and my brain exploded... So I guess not everyone can make a game... I should probably give up right? As im not good at anything, i dropped out of school i can't do maths, english and alot of stuff... No hope??? When trying to learn how to program i dnt know where to start... Should i actaully memorize all the symbols first or somthing?? I also don't think im a logical thinker... Sorry for not making sense...

Thx...
Best response
Never give up on something you desire :p

I have similliar storry. I was playing byond games back in 2005 when I decided to make my own. At first I was failing hard cus I come from Slovenia. Byond helped me inproved english alot.

You should start on small projects doing something really simple and improving it. Lord andrew did BYOND Resource Repository --> http://www.byond.com/developer/articles/resources

I wish you good luck on your journey to become programmer!

Phat T
Math is really useful for coding, especially with games. Try coding what you can everyday, you'll be better than you were the day before. Doesn't sound like much, but after a few months, a year, etc you'll be much much much more better than you were before.
ok guys thx for the feed back. yeah im not acedemically good at anything but i hope i will "get it" by preserverance. Thanks alot. I will read that link Phat T. TY! :)
In response to Gilgamesh9
You'd be amazed what you can accomplish. Don't limit yourself. Words like not and can't just put up brick walls where they could have been avoided.
Just take it bite by bite. Programming is something that takes most people months or years to get the hang of. You'll get better with practice, like most things in life!

As for your academics - don't sweat it! While math does play a major role in programming, you don't need extensive knowledge for everything. I'm awful with math (algebra II being one of two classes I failed in high school) but that doesn't mean I can't still spend an hour or two every evening or so on Google trying to figure out A* pathfinding, angles, etc.

Don't look at formal education as your be all, end all for knowledge and what you can do. You can learn anything as long as you're breathing and willing. (:
In response to Kumorii
Take it byte by byte :)
For me coding is not doing math at all. Coding for me is like writing a logic book. Dont be scared if you fail at math, thats not the reason not to code. Use your logic nd imagination. Trust me its not as hard as you think now that you are the beggining. But without hard work you wont secess
Disregarding that troll, you can accomplish anything you like if you really like it enough. My interest with BYOND started with Batch, which is something you really want to avoid. I messed around a bit in it and made a few small scripts, and showed them to people, who liked them. I realized I liked Programming. Then I started playing SS13, one of my all time favorite games, and wanted to try to make my own. One day I sat down with my laptop and begun to read guides. At first, I was lost, I felt like a complete idiot, but my previous limited experience in Batch helped me, and over the course of a couple years, I consider myself fluent in BYOND. My first game was horrible, but I asked for help and learned from my mistakes. The one I am working on now makes me proud considering it actually looks professional. It really honestly becomes a second language, and you start typing out code without really thinking. I went from total noon to actually risking helping other people with their snippets. I am now learning some other professional langs, because once you learn one programming language, the rest are easy.

tl;dr blah blah, don't give up, ask questions and learn from your mistakes.
It's actually pretty good advice. Math is so important to any kind of programming that you may be using it without even knowing. To demonstrate control over what you do, you really should learn about what you're doing and where to go from there.

The god complex is unnecessary and kind of violates #1 and apparently #3 in the posting guidelines.
You only really use basic algebra and geometry ever, as well as the basic four. Trig is usefull too. I think the biggest thing is understanding probability and fractions, since almost all games have randomness in them.