ID:1690581

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)
Code:

Problem description:

I was looking at the DM reference and noticed that tick_lag = 10/fps. So, since most monitors have a refresh rate of 60 Hz, raising fps above 60 wouldn't make any difference for the player but wouldn't it cause trouble since other procs will operate at higher fps while the player is limited to 60??
Trouble? What?
Well the reference says that for example sleep is measured in ticks so if a game runs on 80 fps, tick lag is 0.125 while my screen will refresh with a rate of 60 hz thus 0.16 tick lag, so doesn't that affect anything??
In response to Victorqr
Best response
Game logic can run at a different speed than your computer monitor. Your monitor's refresh rate has no effect on the tick rate of the game. So... no, no trouble.

In fact, most monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate while most BYOND games run much slower than that. Some non-BYOND programs run much faster.
Yeah for 2D game below 60 is more than fine, lol "Game logic can run at a different speed than your computer monitor"

I just thought that maybe since it affects tick lag it might affect game too

anyway thanks for the help

yeah about the faster games the game adjusts to the monitor without breaking your graphics
In response to Victorqr
Victorqr wrote:
Well the reference says that for example sleep is measured in ticks so if a game runs on 80 fps, tick lag is 0.125 while my screen will refresh with a rate of 60 hz thus 0.16 tick lag, so doesn't that affect anything??

sleep() was changed so that it runs off real world time instead of ticks. sleep(10) will sleep the proc for exactly 1 second of real time. Also, sleep() will only sleep with a value of world.tick_lag or greater.