ID:1691665

For 7 hours.

That's how long it's going to take for my family to get to Detroit. I don't own a bulletproof vest so I may not make it back alive. If I don't make an update within 7 hours, assume I got carjacked or shot in the nose.

Still though, it's going to be nice being back in MI wit muh feller Yankees. The south sucks. Bad. It's not a myth that these people are retarded. Also don't believe the hype about they can cook - even people who were born in the south have told me that the food was so much better when they went to MI.

Haven't been in Motown for 7 years, going to have much nostalgia, very memories when I step back onto that familiar albeit desecrated soil. Can't wait to see some of these girls too - the hotel we're staying at has an indoor pool so you know what that means. I'm going to step into the pool area and be like

While I'm gone, I'm putting Developous in charge of the Frog Brigade until I return. Don't fail me, Developous. Protect the Nexus and young tadpoles at all costs.

Empirez out.
So.. Did you get robbed or not?
In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:

STOP IT! STOP! He was a brave frog, the top frog there ever was.
In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:

First things first, Kentucky must be home to some of the greatest douchebags in history. Everyone walked around with this giant frown on their face, no one would speak to you, they'd just give you this retarded stare like you don't have a right to exist. Tennesseans may be stupid but at least they smile once in a while.

But right now I'm in Ohio. We drove through downtown Cincinnati and dewd, that city looked like Chuck Norris built it. Everything about it was awesome, and that was just the day view. I wish I could've seen what the city looks like at night. We kept moving though and stopped in Miamisburg. We should be in MI tomorrow. I can't wait too, because this Red Roof Inn is freaking garbage. All I wanted to do today was watch Log Horizon but the wi-fi here is so horrific it freaking buffers for like 5 minutes, then it plays like 10 seconds and then buffers for another 5 minutes. Even the dial-up I used to have to put up with 10 years ago was faster than this. Best Western is so much better - they have HIGH SPEED wi-fi, they have an indoor mini waterpark, a weight room, game room, and like 2 restaurants.

If any BYONDers would like an autograph meet me there tomorrow.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Boxcar wrote:

First things first, Kentucky must be home to some of the greatest douchebags in history. Everyone walked around with this giant frown on their face, no one would speak to you, they'd just give you this retarded stare like you don't have a right to exist. Tennesseans may be stupid but at least they smile once in a while.

But right now I'm in Ohio. We drove through downtown Cincinnati and dewd, that city looked like Chuck Norris built it. Everything about it was awesome, and that was just the day view. I wish I could've seen what the city looks like at night. We kept moving though and stopped in Miamisburg. We should be in MI tomorrow. I can't wait too, because this Red Roof Inn is freaking garbage. All I wanted to do today was watch Log Horizon but the wi-fi here is so horrific it freaking buffers for like 5 minutes, then it plays like 10 seconds and then buffers for another 5 minutes. Even the dial-up I used to have to put up with 10 years ago was faster than this. Best Western is so much better - they have HIGH SPEED wi-fi, they have an indoor mini waterpark, a weight room, game room, and like 2 restaurants.

If any BYONDers would like an autograph meet me there tomorrow.

Fuck everything else, nothing but that autograph matters in life at this current moment. I've quit my job and scraped together the necessary funds for my travel expenses. I'll be there in a days time.
Well we made it. Sitting in a Best Western in Roseville. It's super chilly so I'm not really in the mood to jump in a pool right now.

Anyway, let me just start off by saying what I saw in Detroit was gut wrenching. I don't even know where to begin. As we were coming off the interstate we saw razed building after razed building. The buildings that were, by some miracle, still standing were covered in gang graffiti. Like almost everything was spray painted. We got off the interstate then went downtown, which still looked half decent. But as soon as we exited downtown into what used to be the projects...

We turned down one of the streets we used to live on, "Holcomb", and the apartment we lived in looked like only two people were still living in it. Across the street from it, there was this horrid looking house cluttered with torn stuffed animals and a bunch of other junk. An old guy with a wild beard stood in front of the house with two pit bulls standing beside him, and he said "You interested?" as we drove past.

We kept driving further down the street, and my parents were pointing at all the different houses and stores they said they used to go to. They were all now either torn down or abandoned. For those who didn't know, my grandparents were entrepreneurs and ran a successful corner store/pseudo-restaurant type business in that part of Detroit. My Dad was looking around frantically to find the building, and couldn't. My grandparent's store, as well as the house they and my parents lived in were completely gone. All that remained was a field of tall grass and weeds.

Just down the street, we saw about 5 people dressed in all black - two of which were carrying drawers full of random junk. It looked as though they were coming from a house, carrying whatever useful supplies they could find from out of the nearby vacant houses. They looked really senile and shady so my Dad sped up and got the hell out of that street pretty quickly. No matter what street we turned down, the result was the same: sick, scary looking people and ravaged buildings. None of the street lights were even working, and there was a sign that said "These street lights are being considered for removal". In other words, that side of Detroit was so barren, the city government is saying there's not even justification anymore for keeping the street lights there.

The few people who looked like they weren't drug addicts were still quite depressed looking. Some wouldn't make eye contact, others had a "please put me out of my misery" expression on their face. On one street near a gas station, two guys stood next to a cardboard box and were holding signs that said "selling cans of potato soup". Imagine coming to a point in your life where your only source of income is standing outside in freezing rain hoping someone drives down one of these 3rd world country-esque streets and buys a can of soup from you. Honestly it all just reminded me of Day Z. Just every man for himself, in a large, dangerous and lifeless town. To think that such a tremendous and vibrant city such as Detroit could be reduced to the pitiful wasteland that it is now...

60-70 years ago, you would've been more than proud to tell someone you were from Detroit. My grandfather on my Mom's side worked for General Motors in Detroit and had a $250,000 pension - and remember, this was back in 1960-1970, so 250k back then was an insanely large amount of money, especially for a man with brown skin. 50 years later, saying "I live in Detroit" is synonymous with saying "I'm in Hell."

Not only that, but as we were driving into Detroit we heard on the radio that Detroit's elementary schools ranked the absolute lowest in the nation in reading skills. So not only are adults suffering but all the children are going to grow up and become highly illiterate individuals which will simply repeat this cycle. I wish I could say I see a sliver a hope for my home town but I can't. All I see is doom.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Well we made it. Sitting in a Best Western in Roseville. It's super chilly so I'm not really in the mood to jump in a pool right now.

Anyway, let me just start off by saying what I saw in Detroit was gut wrenching. I don't even know where to begin. As we were coming off the interstate we saw razed building after razed building. The buildings that were, by some miracle, still standing were covered in gang graffiti. Like almost everything was spray painted. We got off the interstate then went downtown, which still looked half decent. But as soon as we exited downtown into what used to be the projects...

We turned down one of the streets we used to live on, "Holcomb", and the apartment we lived in looked like only two people were still living in it. Across the street from it, there was this horrid looking house cluttered with torn stuffed animals and a bunch of other junk. An old guy with a wild beard stood in front of the house with two pit bulls standing beside him, and he said "You interested?" as we drove past.

We kept driving further down the street, and my parents were pointing at all the different houses and stores they said they used to go to. They were all now either torn down or abandoned. For those who didn't know, my grandparents were entrepreneurs and ran a successful corner store/pseudo-restaurant type business in that part of Detroit. My Dad was looking around frantically to find the building, and couldn't. My grandparent's store, as well as the house they and my parents lived in were completely gone. All that remained was a field of tall grass and weeds.

Just down the street, we saw about 5 people dressed in all black - two of which were carrying drawers full of random junk. It looked as though they were coming from a house, carrying whatever useful supplies they could find from out of the nearby vacant houses. They looked really senile and shady so my Dad sped up and got the hell out of that street pretty quickly. No matter what street we turned down, the result was the same: sick, scary looking people and ravaged buildings. None of the street lights were even working, and there was a sign that said "These street lights are being considered for removal". In other words, that side of Detroit was so barren, the city government is saying there's not even justification anymore for keeping the street lights there.

The few people who looked like they weren't drug addicts were still quite depressed looking. Some wouldn't make eye contact, others had a "please put me out of my misery" expression on their face. On one street near a gas station, two guys stood next to a cardboard box and were holding signs that said "selling cans of potato soup". Imagine coming to a point in your life where your only source of income is standing outside in freezing rain hoping someone drives down one of these 3rd world country-esque streets and buys a can of soup from you. Honestly it all just reminded me of Day Z. Just every man for himself, in a large, dangerous and lifeless town. To think that such a tremendous and vibrant city such as Detroit could be reduced to the pitiful wasteland that it is now...

60-70 years ago, you would've been more than proud to tell someone you were from Detroit. My grandfather on my Mom's side worked for General Motors in Detroit and had a $250,000 pension - and remember, this was back in 1960-1970, so 250k back then was an insanely large amount of money, especially for a man with brown skin. 50 years later, saying "I live in Detroit" is synonymous with saying "I'm in Hell."

Not only that, but as we were driving into Detroit we heard on the radio that Detroit's elementary schools ranked the absolute lowest in the nation in reading skills. So not only are adults suffering but all the children are going to grow up and become highly illiterate individuals which will simply repeat this cycle. I wish I could say I see a sliver a hope for my home town but I can't. All I see is doom.

Go to Charlevoix and beyond and you'll see that Michigan changes significantly. Only downside is that it'll be inexplicably filled with snobby rich pricks.

Fully aware. I mean we drove through Warren and Roseville, and in both cities, I didn't see a single rundown building or vacant house. I can't even recall seeing any graffiti or vandalism. It's almost as if there's a curse on Detroit and all the other cities have some magical barrier set up preventing them from suffering the same fate.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Fully aware. I mean we drove through Warren and Roseville, and in both cities, I didn't see a single rundown building or vacant house. I can't even recall seeing any graffiti or vandalism. It's almost as if there's a curse on Detroit and all the other cities have some magical barrier set up preventing them from suffering the same fate.

Detroit has tons of gang activity and is heavily associated with the Italian mob. I wouldn't doubt that it looks poverty stricken, they probably run the goddamn city behind a curtain.
Yeah, as you know I live in the metro detroit area and I rarely ever visit that hellhole. Its 25 minutes away but I only go once a year for youmacon.

Even there in the nice part of town, there's still beggars and drug addicts shambling around the streets. We took a wrong turn on our way last year and feared for our lives.
I've only seen that place during a University trip 2 years ago. I found it to be interesting. I'd like to live there. You guys don't seem to have a lust for adventure. Grow a pair.
hopefully someone dies
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
I've only seen that place during a University trip 2 years ago. I found it to be interesting. I'd like to live there. You guys don't seem to have a lust for adventure. Grow a pair.

Detroit was an interesting city, with many interesting people. Unfortunately, being interesting doesn't exactly save a city. Money saves a city. No money was going into Detroit - all the money was LEAVING, and that coupled with the fact that we had a moron mayor that several people voted in simply because he was black, was the perfect recipe for disaster.

The cost of living immediately skyrocketed. We started having to pay for things we had never paid for in our lives once Kwame became mayor. He was using the cities tax dollars to hire strippers, and then had the strippers assassinated - on top of a long list of other BS he was doing. Then Jennifer Granholm promised to fix Detroit schools by making sure every school had computer courses. That never happened. Then when things got entirely out of control, people simply foreclosed on their houses because they were unable to afford to live there anymore. Crime rates rose. Businesses vanished. Schools, parks and recreation centers got shut down. Even the animals at Belle Isle Zoo were starving ( we literally saw tigers at that zoo and their rib cages were showing, they looked like they hadn't eaten in months ).

Now all that's left is hoodlums running around shooting each other and looting them for whatever they have ( which is why I compared it to Day Z ). 90% of the people walking around look shady, and businesses have signs outside saying "We are not responsible if you get harmed on our property" because they know there's a decent chance someone may just come out of nowhere and rob you in broad daylight in their parking lot. My Mom stopped at a store run by asians earlier today and I kid you not, they were eyeballing us like freaking vultures the entire time. They followed us around the store and repeatedly asked us "do you need help finding anything?" Translation: "We don't trust you, so hurry up, buy something and GTFO the store."

It just sucks all the way around. It's like I no longer have a history. Everything is just eradicated. The house I grew up in, the schools I attended, the parks I played in, the people I used to call my friends - all gone, and it only took 7 years ( probably even less ) for all of it to disappear. And if you tell someone you're from Detroit they immediately assume you're untrustworthy and insane. Which I can't blame them after the news reports about how teenagers were running around killing homeless elderly people, or how people were getting mauled by hordes of feral pit bulls.

If I ever get like, Bill Gates rich, I'm rebuilding Detroit.
Things Fall Apart
GatewayRa wrote:
it has down syndrome written all ovr it..

I did not enjoy reading about how white people decimated an entire continent, but I just gotta say that your un-called for attempt at insulting Chinua Achebe was not just a complete failure, but also insensitive, stupid, and ignorant. I hope you get your ass kicked by a bunch of retards.
GatewayRa wrote:
his books some stupid african american fantasy about a rich farmer thats "sooo strong and manly".. obvious a lot of gender schematic schematic bs. i read the book, he barely even knew english yet it was mandatory in english to read it... theres no sense in that. it was poorly written and set bad literacy example

ur the only one with the uncalled for comment, but hey... ur the one tht said it was coward-like to kill harmful insects bcuz they serve some bs ecosystem purpose
from tht, id never take any advice from you, ever and i discourage anyone to

Please stay away from bashing other people/book/anything's English if you're incapable of writing it yourself... Thanks.
GatewayRa wrote:
his books some stupid african american fantasy about a rich farmer thats "sooo strong and manly".. obvious a lot of gender schematic schematic bs. i read the book, he barely even knew english yet it was mandatory in english to read it... theres no sense in that. it was poorly written and set bad literacy example

ur the only one with the uncalled for comment, but hey... ur the one tht said it was coward-like to kill harmful insects bcuz they serve some bs ecosystem purpose

Did you say ecosystem BS? LMAO. The functioning of the ecosystem is essential for the world to continue about its normal routine. You start fucking up the ecosystem, you'll be paid back tenfold with the harmful effects.
I can't feel okay with myself if I say that those who do not enjoy GatewayRa's posts are human. It seems so inhuman that someone can't enjoy it.
In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:
GatewayRa wrote:

Please stay away from bashing other people/book/anything's English if you're incapable of writing it yourself... Thanks.

/facepalm
RETARD TOOK THE BAIT
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
I can't feel okay with myself if I say that those who do not enjoy GatewayRa's posts are human. It seems so inhuman that someone can't enjoy it.

I enjoyed it righteously.

Anyway, this thread is not about african literature, nor is it about global climate destabilization. It's about how Detroit was recently flushed down the toilet. I would argue, however, that greed and selfishness are the root of the collapse of Detroit, Africa, the climate....you name it. Unfortunately, capitalism rewards greedy people.

Page: 1 2