ID:1695307

(See the best response by Pokemonred200.)
Code:

Problem description: Im testing my program on an alt computer and for some reason non host computers lag real bad. I just can't seem to understand what could be causing it. No while loops run in background, and not really any coding is taking place. It happens if standing still or not. And performing complex actions doesnt really increase or decrease the lag. Its just always there. Anyone know why this would happen? It did work before, but that was a while ago

How much programs are open on the host computer? What's your host computer's CPU usage? What's the RAM usage? What are the specs? These could all factor into the speed of the game itself.

And if the client computer is connected to the host computer via the internet/LAN, what's the internet quality/connection speed? Is it good/high?(All of the things with the host computer may apply)

If the CPU usage/RAM usage is really high, I suggest closing some other programs. Maybe it could help speed things up? By description, this is what I think the problem stems from
how do you check cpu/ram usage? Is there a cmd command or in settings.
Best response
If you're using Windows, using Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up the task manager, which shows you CPU Usage, and RAM Usage shows as well if you're on Windows 7 and Up (Maybe even Vista and up)

It's measured in percentage in the global bars, and each process in the 'processes' tab shows how much CPU and RAM each process (basically every running program) is using.
I think you should stop for a few moments and learn how a computer works before moving on. Saying this because you have no idea how to do computer status 101.. May be useful to know before you start hosting/coding.
no i dont. They don't teach you that in computer science classes. I'm a software guy, hardware isnt my thing. Thats why the fields are seperated, software and hardware. Yes as a software guy its nice to know the basics of a computer but its not needed. I just need to know how to code on software side which i can do. Also I already have started coding, my game has almost got all the ground work done. But I am not very knowledgeable in networks, byond is the only thing that forced me to learn a bit more about them, but im still a novice in networks.
In response to Pokemonred200
Pokemonred200 wrote:
If you're using Windows, using Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up the task manager, which shows you CPU Usage, and RAM Usage shows as well if you're on Windows 7 and Up (Maybe even Vista and up)

It's measured in percentage in the global bars, and each process in the 'processes' tab shows how much CPU and RAM each process (basically every running program) is using.
Oh thanks this is pretty helpful. This way i can even close some programs that I believe shouldn't be running in the background that could be using memory
In response to Anthonytyran
Anthonytyran wrote:
no i dont. They don't teach you that in computer science classes. I'm a software guy, hardware isnt my thing. Thats why the fields are seperated, software and hardware. Yes as a software guy its nice to know the basics of a computer but its not needed. I just need to know how to code on software side which i can do. Also I already have started coding, my game has almost got all the ground work done. But I am not very knowledgeable in networks, byond is the only thing that forced me to learn a bit more about them, but im still a novice in networks.

Are you 12?
Computer science class didn't set off the notion that he's 12? Must have just been me.
In response to Xorbah
Xorbah wrote:
Computer science class didn't set off the notion that he's 12? Must have just been me.

You must be 12 too if you can't see it.
In response to Gokussj99
Gokussj99 wrote:
Xorbah wrote:

I just said I must have been the only one to see it. I'm 21, the mirror opposite of the age being discussed.
In response to Xorbah
Xorbah wrote:
Gokussj99 wrote:
Xorbah wrote:

I just said I must have been the only one to see it. I'm 21, the mirror opposite of the age being discussed.

Well what I meant by it was his obvious lack of knowledge kay.
In response to Anthonytyran
Anthonytyran wrote:

This isn't even hardware we're talking. It's software. Basic understanding of your OS is pretty useful.
In response to Gokussj99
Gokussj99 wrote:
Xorbah wrote:
Gokussj99 wrote:
Xorbah wrote:

Well what I meant by it was his obvious lack of knowledge kay.

Got ya.