ID:1701482

Keywords: hud, see_pixels
(See the best response by DarkCampainger.)
Problem description:
This is what I'm trying to do:
1) I want to use SEE_PIXELS for what it's purpose is: so that you can see an object as it comes out of the darkness (step_x/y) instead of it just popping into view once it has completed the cross into the new tile (atomic movement).
2) I want to use screen images to give the player a HUD. These images are larger than world.icon_size.

This is the problem:
Shadows cast by the environment (opaque turfs) cause dark patches to appear on the HUD. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem and know a way around it? If you'd like to see the issue in action, download this zip file and add the following line to any code file:
mob/sight = SEE_PIXELS
Best response
It's not opacity that's causing it. You didn't include a map, so I created an empty one without any opaque objects and I still see the black squares covering portions of the HUD. Also, opacity doesn't "cover" things, it just stops them from drawing, so it shouldn't affect HUD objects. In fact, if you put a HUD object below the turf layer and stretch it across the screen, it'll act as a background of sorts for any tiles hidden by opacity (but I tried it and the black squares still cover it).

I tried overriding client/Click() to see if the blackness was an object or something, but it didn't respond at all.

It could be a BYOND bug, but I'm not sure how you triggered it (unless it's newly introduced).