ID:1707699

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here's basically the animation of the strikes I've got.

basically a Kickboxing sidescroller MMO Ballad of the fighter. I've not worked on this lately but will work on this base more later on like next year once Tag Turvigal is done.
Tag turvigal is basically done just needed a programmer, like UI,Music,huds,icons,overlays,base etc. but I refuse to continue on BOTF until another project until TT is completely done or I shutdown the project.

however I show you the base of BOTF
The kicking part looks really funky tbh, if it even is kicking cause it looks so weird..The animations don't look really fluid though.
the time is messed up yut, I forgot to set the time, all of them are 1/10. here is the animation with the set time, I forgot about it, yut :l

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I know a little about boxing. When punches are thrown, the fighter puts his entire body into it by rotating his hip and leg so that each strike is more powerful. In your punching animation, there is very little animation around the lower half of the body, which is why it looks unnatural because when boxers fight they move that part of their body as well.

That's also a poor fighting stance as well. Boxers bend their knees slightly so they can move around easier. Your fighter is standing with his legs perfectly straight, which also looks unnatural. His chin should be tucked and it might help to raise both hands instead of having one hand up and one hanging off near his waist.

Basically, by the way you've animated him, your fighter looks like an inexperienced nerd who would get his butt kicked. I'd scrap the entire thing and start over.

Why not just use Balrog as a reference?

boxing and kick boxing have a different stance. way different. and balrog is kinda over exaggerated, like too cartoonish if you get what Im saying, I understand you but... not balrog
In response to Travylleb
Travylleb wrote:
boxing and kick boxing have a different stance. way different.

I don't know what forms of kickboxing you've been studying and watching, but no they don't.

Muay Thai is a form of kickboxing, and the only main difference in the stance are the positioning of the arms, which is only done because they like to clench, and the use of leg bouncing with their lead leg.

San Shou is a form of kickboxing, and the only main difference is the legs are spaced out a bit wider because they emphasize grabbing and throws more than other kickboxing styles ( go watch some Cung Le fights on Youtube ).

And American kickboxing just looks like a more narrow, slightly less squared San Shou stance.

But all of the other rules I listed:

- Bending of the knees
- Chin tucked
- Arms raised
- Rotating of the body during strikes
- Foot pivoting

Are found in both boxing and kickboxing. They are not "way different". Show me the kickboxing style that doesn't do all of the 5 I just listed and then you can say that boxing and kickboxing are way different.

And using Balrog as a reference is fine, because it looks far more realistic than what you have here. Your guy doesn't even look like he's fighting, it looks like he's having a stroke. Your base is also more cartoonish than Balrog - the head is gigantic and larger than the torso, which are characteristics of people in cartoons and animations. If you want to look less cartoonish here, you can start with drawing his head so that it's proportioned with the rest of his body, or vice versa ( just draw a bigger body ).
sure the drawing is cartoonish, but I don't want to over exaggerate the game...

http://muaythaipros.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ muaythai_boxing.jpg

http://zestykickz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ Kickboxing-singapore-Leg-positioning.jpg

I will work on it later... in 2015, however boxing only have arms raised when it's time to guard

and I have a pivot foot O.o

gotta finish tag turvigal first.
I agree with everyone else the animations aren't very fluid. Looks great though.
The thing is, you aren't picking his legs up high enough nor moving them enough in the punch animations. Fluidity is lacking heavily as a result.
leg barley goes up lol, r u kicking someone in the shin?
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:

Yes the game is based on the sport "Shin-Kicking".

See more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-kicking
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:

Low kicks are common in MMA, and they are not intended to attack the shin ( the shin is usually the worst place to kick since MMA fighters train the shin to be durable ), I think they aim toward the side of the calf and thigh. In fact its kinda impossible to win a fight if you don't know how to defend against them. Kimbo learned that the hard way.

But yeah his animation still makes it look weird. There's not enough frames and the kick just looks more like he's fidgeting rather than kicking.
I'm trying to aim the animation to 4 frames... that was the limit
No matter the limit still needs to look smooth even if you're only using 4 frames. Try your best to make it as smooth as possible, I'm sure it can be more fluid then that still even with 4 frames.
In response to Ganite
eer I would take advice from a pixel artist, no offense. if a pixel artist says the same thing as you then I'm for it... but I need someone who knows pixel art or atleast give a descriptive detail on how I can improve it, instead of "I agree more fluid." without no valid point or I may take it, in my point of view... fellatio. not to be immature, but to be real, in my opinion.

Others your thoughts?
By more fluid I'd imagine they mean add more frames or come up with more in-betweens. And by that in-betweens I mean the frames between the key poses or positions. I'm sure a load of people have probably already said to try and rethink the key poses of the animation. The, what I'm assuming is a round house kick, might need more anticipation because it seems to pop up out of know where. Or maybe it could also be some kind of low, ankle targeting, kick? Which you will probably maybe more of a hip rotation as the start of the animation the flows up the to the upper body.

...After actually looking at the frames of animation....
Maybe between frames 9 and 10 add a kind of blur or something to exaggerate the action of punching. Also put more of a follow through for the end of the punching animation to smooth the transition back to the base state. Maybe the arm bending and the body appearing to make steps back to position. The same thing for 13 to 14 as with 9 and 10. Again a bit more follow through, like a frame or two. There needs to be some heavy anticipation for the uppercut. The knees should be bent more and the footing spread more apart. And again more follow through when coming down from the uppercut. I'm thinking you move the upper or whole body a little too much for the, kicks. The feeling of kick is something weak, and quick. Hmm, you may want to exaggerate the change between poses some how...@_@

Edit: Also, I might think about adding more frames to the base state. Even just one more might make a difference...Add some secondary motion... @_@

Yeah, this is quite a few frames, but in places it needs a bit more. If you feel like shitting a brick from the shear WTF awesome of this dude, here you go. :D http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/49023.htm

When you're done cleaning up your bricks you will be inspired. ._.'
I'll check it out, thanks psy.
In response to PsyRabbit
Love Fool's work. He is just ridiculously good. :)
In response to Flick
He puts a lot of effort into his animations, the animations look like they were made by a old master Disney animator.
Maybe he IS an old master Disney animator, and the reason his name is "Fool" is because he has FOOLED you all into believing otherwise!