ID:1709116

Keywords: developing, work
Where would you say the majority of work for developing BYOND has gone in to overall?
The language.
So wording?
He means the DM language.
Ok so internal bug fixes?
In response to Sir Quizalot
He means the creation of the DM language, and probably the stuff that makes it work.

"Internal bug fixes" can only come after the thing exists. The DM language didn't just pop into existence.
You asked us where the majority of work has been added where telling you and you keep asking more... DM Language.. everything that it has to do with it if that even means bug fixes...

Just internal bug fixes by itself wouldn't be the majority it would be the whole DM Language and not just "bug fixing".
Can't imagine BYOND has been completely equal in its focus in the elements of a programming language- to just say its work is overall mainly in all the components of its language.

Otherwise, you're just saying the work for DM is not that great, considering where it is in the hierarchy of programming languages.

If you were to say that the work in BYOND was mainly in specific elements of its language overall, that would be more convincing, but to each their own.
Let's see what BYOND's ended up with:
- A pager (messaging, game/resource listing, etc.)
- Dream Seeker (input/output to/from the server)
- Webclient (similar to Dream Seeker, but run in a browser, and much more customizable)
- Dream Daemon (everything server-related, actually runs the game)
- Dream Maker (code, icon, map, script, skin editors)
- The DM Language (syntax)
- The BYOND game engine (the default stuff that makes 2D tile-based games customizable by the DM Language)
- The hub system (hubs, subscriptions, scores, medals, credits)
- A website (hub listings, forums, bug/feature trackers)
- Somewhat bug-free, stable releases (work put into fixing bugs)

I can't possibly rank these in order of energy spent.
In response to Kaiochao
That's kinda sad. If you can't measure success there isn't any. Just a jumble of stuff. Surely something stood out to you- and was most impressive for the amount of work, strengths should be recognized so we can flaunt and take advantaged of them. Someone needs to measure BYOND's success or it isn't going anywhere... for all that effort. BYOND Isn't perfect all around for what it has, if it was then it would be top.
It's not sad. You can measure the success. It's not just a jumble of stuff. Something didn't stand out to me and wasn't the most impressive for the amount of work. Strengths don't need to be recognized. Someone doesn't need to measure BYOND's success. It will go somewhere. For the effort. BYOND is perfect. It is top.
Well, if you consider the goal of BYOND to be X, and BYOND's strengths are its parts that do X well, then:

If X is, for example, to let people make 2D tile-based multiplayer games easily, then BYOND's strengths could be:
- The BYOND game engine that provides built-in 2D tile-based physics and built-in networking, which lets people make 2D tile-based multiplayer games easily. But this couldn't exist without:
- Dream Seeker/Webclient (to play the games), which would be useless without:
- Dream Daemon (to run/host the games), which would be useless without:
- Dream Maker (to make the games), which would be useless without:
- The DM Language (to program the games). This would be pretty useless without learning material, too.
- The hub system (for key authentication, but this probably isn't as essential as the rest).

Then the rest (of my original list) are absolute non-essentials:
- A pager
- A website (assuming there are other places to learn the DM Language and how to work with the engine)
- etc.

And all of the above are prone to debugging.

But this is not a list in order of how much effort each thing has taken. It just shows that it's not really a jumble of stuff.
BYOND needs to meet other's standards if it wants others to come to it. BYOND doesn't settle for games that doesn't meet their standards for listings why should we settle for small goals when it comes to the success of DM in comparison to other companies.
Sir Quizalot wrote:
BYOND needs to meet other's standards if it wants others to come to it. BYOND doesn't settle for games that doesn't meet their standards for listings why should we settle for small goals when it comes to the success of DM in comparison to other companies.

I'd like to start off by saying that I'm amazed that someone is still 2 paces behind everyone else as to how BYOND's development fares, surely you've seen the locked thread "Say goodbye to the forums soon guys".

Tom isn't aspiring for BYOND to be a huge community or language, and the income he's making off of the site monthly simply isn't enough incentive for him to keep doing anything drastic to it.

Either you're a troll (since you seem to be hugely pressing the community to state BYOND's good qualities) or you may just not have kept up with BYOND lately in which I just gave you your answer.
Xorbah wrote:
I'd like to start off by saying that I'm amazed that someone is still 2 paces behind everyone else as to how BYOND's development fares

Unfortunately the community has always been like this. We're still having people just now figure out about the FUNimation DMCA or the fact that you don't have to be a member to create hubs. Heck, people still use three inputs for how much red, green, and blue they want in their hair despite the as color statement existing for about eight years now.

Sir Quizalot wrote:

BYOND (the company) doesn't need to do anything; DM is perfectly fine as a language. BYOND (the community) are the ones that need* to utilize the language to create games that measure up to the standards of other games outside of BYOND (the platform).

* I say need, but no one is under any obligation to make (good) games with DM. Independent game development is all about personal motivation.
In response to Xorbah
Xorbah wrote:
Either you're a troll

Let's just sit back and see how long it takes everyone else to catch onto this fact.

In response to Xorbah
BYOND is responsible for how it is used, no one else. If it has a downfall its death will be the development team's fault, and theirs alone. You can't blame a community for BYOND's failure and be right. Because there is multiple ways to take advantage and use a community to do what you want. Success or failure is a developers fault. Thus my question.
I don't want to stop Tom's pursuit of happiness. Give me the codes shut down the site. I'll take BYOND somewhere.
Sir Quizalot wrote:
I don't want to stop Tom's pursuit of happiness. Give me the codes shut down the site. I'll take BYOND somewhere.

Should've known he was another one of these characters. He might also be apart of the Nexus.
I'm totally lost right now.
Page: 1 2