ID:1709195

http://www.zombienightterror.com/ Zombie lemmings with amazing, lowres, lowcolor, animation. What's not to like. :)
This is definitely one of those

moments.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
This is definitely one of those

moments.

If you think Zombie games are fun.
i just can't get behind this low quality pixel art movement.
Low quality? lol

That pixel art is as pure as it gets. Every single pixel is used to its full advantage for the desired conveyance -- and it's beautiful. If you threw away one pixel, the whole thing would look wrong. The pixels themselves, both alone and as a whole unit, are on display as art. That is pixel art.
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/254/c/a/ hyrule_warriors_by_abysswolf-d7ytj0e.png

High quality pixel art

everything in that zombie game is low quality and it seems not alot of effort was put into the art itself...

Almost every pixel art game that has been release has been low quality pixel art and it seems the gaming community is over-hyping this lazy art form or "retro" is what they call it.

That was acceptable back in the day but now its 2014 close to 2015 can we raise our standards a bit ?
Raise the standards yourself, if you feel they're so low. These people are under no obligation to alter the style they chose. I find it beautiful and very fitting, and also requiring of much effort -- especially for the animations, which are highly detailed and have many frames.
no

effort

at

all

You guys are crazy. Southendboi is right. Absolutely no effort goes into dumb minimalist pixel art like that. I mean just look at this:

Completely horrible. Zero effort, zero craftsmanship. A disgrace to the human race. Even a toddler could've whipped that up in like 3 seconds. Get out of my face.
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/254/c/a/ hyrule_warriors_by_abysswolf-d7ytj0e.png

High quality pixel art

High quality
I think the phrase you're looking for is "high resolution," not "high quality."

In response to Kaiochao
I think your display here would make for a interesting developement. Low-res pixel zombies attacking high-res pixel monsters. Go.
let's bet on who will win that fight.

my money is on the guy with the giant hammer. and the giant everything else.
In response to Fugsnarf
@Fugsnarf
These people have no obligation to improve the graphics in their game because currently they're quite terrible and low quality with backgrounds that actually use 70colors while only 4-5 of those colors can be seen by the naked eye.

The animations you speak of are quite easily made i could probably do it in one night since there isn't alot of cleaning up that needs to be done more frames isn't more work when the quality of the art barely has any detail to begin with.

@Vrocaan
I stand behind what i said those animations aren't very hard to do... you might think it takes effort because you don't know how to do pixel art but i assure you thats 30-45min work.

@Kaiochao
no, i was looking for low quality meaning poor or inferior quality and alot of their art pieces use alot of unneeded pixels...

It's very depressing if this is the route pixel art games will be going while other high quality pixelated games get little to no lime light.

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=17151.0
That's a great idea for a long term contest. High resolution pixel art vs minimalist pixel art. Give the games the same premise, but you must have some people doing high res art, and others doing minimalist. Can't have the contest if it's one sided entries.
In response to Southend_boi
It's funny that in the thread you posted, at least half of the people posting liked the style. And that's in a pixelation thread...

You don't like it. Got it... I do. We'll both be fine.
High quality pixelated games get little to no light because there worked on by artists and not programmers
I think it looks great.
Highly interactive and animated scenes that games like these can have because of the less work it requires to do each frame is a huge benefit.

There's a reason the above high resolution image doesn't have animated sprites. The work and cost required to animate them with great detail would be astronomical. Indie developers are not able to afford a team of highly professional artists, or in most cases, even a single professional artist.

Even if the artists involved in any of these "low quality art" projects were able to put a load of pixel detail into the art, they are already working on a small budget and have very little time and resources to get the game released. They have to start making money as soon as possible or their whole project and possibly their new gaming studio will collapse.

The number of pixels do not matter, it's about the style, animations, and attention to detail of the scenes and interactions. Then of course, most importantly, the game play itself.

With all that said, I really like this new style games have with the simple but highly animated art and hope it continues. Not only because I enjoy the style, but because clearly it is a winning formula since so many indie games are releasing amazing games with this art style.

Southend_boi, if this style is super easy, you should be out there making this art for developers and making money. Most of these indie teams split the money made evenly and most of the successful games make anywhere between $20,000 to $500,000 or more with two to four people. Sounds like easy money for you, and with how fast you can get the work done, you could be working on many projects at once and you could be a millionaire pretty quickly.

Also, if you only see the artistic value in high resolution art and not the value in an amazing game that flows well and looks nice, with any type of style, it's possible that game development isn't the right thing for you. I am not trying to take a jab at you, just giving some friendly advice.