ID:1709541

Poll: AoE or Total War battle System?

Age of Empires system 100% (5)
Total War system 0% (0)

Login to vote.

To strategy gamers, do you guys prefer the age of empires battle system, or the Total war group battle system?

I'm not talking about the whole game here, just about how battle is done. Do you prefer commanding individual units or whole groups of units?
(I hope I'm not the only one here who still plays AoE 2) Feel free to share any thoughts about it ;)
Total War's units are like blobs. They can move around in formation, but when they hit another blob, they often lose shape and gradually lose mass from the fighting. The units are fluid, and their "health" is distributed amongst the space it takes up.

In AoE, each unit exists in a tiny radius and health is concentrated in one spot.

If you could zoom out so far as to see the units as points, it would look a lot like AoE.

In a BYOND game, it would be too much difficult or CPU-intensive to have units made up of a bunch of tiny... particle people. So Total War's system is impossible to clone.

However, you can still choose how you want to display the health of your units. You could say "this unit has X people left in this group, out of an initial Y" instead of "this unit has X health, out of an initial Y." Sure, it would be less fancy (because BYOND doesn't do fancy), and it would really just be purely visual.
Age of Empirez.