ID:1710601

Been getting some flack for the art direction I'm using in my game Extinction. I'll toss up the base sprite for that game down below.

So, I decided to create another 'base sprite' for another project I've got planned in the future after Extinction. It's not the best, but I just wanted to show it off as well.

The shading could be better, but I'm proud of it.

when you draw people, you want to get them to actually look like people and one of the ways you can do that is looking at yourself because you are a people.

for starters, complete the following activity. get up from your desk and stand at attention. now look down at your arms. take note of how your arms extend past your waist. now look back at your base. the arms don't extend past the waist. now you have discovered something to fix just by looking at yourself.

this is the way of the pixel.

disclaimer: i am not responsible for any offended deformed kids who completed the activity and did not have normal length arms. blame your parents.
In response to EmpirezTeam
I find that the way of the pixel is entirely arbitrary. Sometimes, experimenting with proportions turns out well.

This is may or may not be one of those times. It could just depend on how much the artist cares what people think about it.
He was born with no hands lol. Nubs for hands! And its obviously a clone since theres no belly button.
I'm just going to say what I don't like about it. The whole body excluding the head, maybe, is too blocky. There is no lighting/values/shading(I find it more appropriate to use the terms lighting or values because of it being more artsy) on the chest, abs, quadriceps, knees.The arms are too short. The eyes are kind of buggy. After adding values to the whole body you will want to think about doing some sel-out(selective outlining) which is the removing or the lightening up of the outlines. It may not be what you're going for if you want to the characters to come off more animated or cartoony.

However, the first one you did is, probably because its size a tad more appealing. Putting lighting and sel-out on that guy might make him more appealing.
Bettah. :D