ID:1713031

Keywords: browser, client, web

What steps would I need to take to develop a "modern" browser specifically for BYOND's web client. Which language, frameworks?

What part of a web browser does the web client rely on to function- bare minimum?

Is the web client designed to work on default phone browsers such as Android, and or iPhone?

How much control over a "modern" browser's appearance can be modified and how?

Your questions make very little sense and you're posting in the wrong forum. That said...

1. I don't know what you're trying to ask here. From what I understand, the web client uses some sort of HTML5 canvas (which I admittedly do not know much about).

2. I really don't think you fully understand what the HTML5 client is. It doesn't rely on a certain "part" of any browser. From my understanding, any HTML5-capable browser (i.e. all of the main ones) will be able to run it.

3. Yes.

4. ...What? Seriously, what are you even asking here? If you're talking about the content of the page inside of the web browser, all of it. Otherwise, do you even know what a browser is?

Edit: I just realized that you are asking about making your own web browser. The short answer is that you'd be wasting your time.
Let me get someone who understands the web client more.
1) Probably best with some variant of the Chrome Embedded Framework, Chrome seems to be handling the webclient better than any of the other browsers in testing.

2) This makes no sense, it requires the entire rendering aspect of the browser, there's no specific part.

3) There's been successful testing in iPads, but the screen-size of most smart phones poses a challenge to effective usage (although if the browsers have good HTML5 support the client should work fine)

4) Not sure what you mean here, if you mean how much does the game have as far as control over the outside page, I'd imagine you'd be able to modify most DOM elements using javascript. If you mean in general, there are themes and all that sort of jazz.
In response to Sir Quizalot
Sir Quizalot wrote:
Let me get someone who understands the web client more.

Everyone is going to tell you the same thing, buddy.
In response to Nadrew
I want to take a website and embed a BYOND game to that website. I want to have a custom browser which takes OUYA controller input and restricts input to the embedded game eg no clicking outside "white space" of the website. I want the browser to not have any search interface at the top or anywhere- basically just hide the fact it is a broswer. I want this browser when opened to connect to a specific link. I want to be able to convert this browser to an apk to load onto an OUYA. Overall I want this browser to be customizable and restrictive. You seem to know some stuff so how would I go about doing all or some of these? Note: I have yo yo game maker pro all modules in my toolkit.

Anyone who knows how to configure a browser can help. I need a custom browser which can hold the website which has embedded a BYOND game via web client. I only expect savvy BYOND developers to know how to customize a browser since ultimately it will be holding web client.

Right now I'm looking at web views. Also this using adobe cloud

I think this was a good question.
He came to the BYOND forums for OUYA instructions. Lol.

http://www.ouyaforum.com/
Honestly each browser has different functionality otherwise there wouldn't be so many. There must be common parts that the web client depends on specifically. Give me some concepts here.
Somebody give this guy some concepts.
You know, with so many browsers, I'm surprised there isn't one that covers whatever this guy wants to do with his. #Shrug #JustSaiyan
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
You know, with so many browsers, I'm surprised there isn't one that covers whatever this guy wants to do with his. #Shrug #JustSaiyan

Maybe all the browser developers just suck and they don't know what they're doing and that's why none of them do what he's requiring.

Maybe if browser developers stopped being morons there'd be a browser that meets his standards. I don't think a browser that comes packaged with Ouya APKs, BYOND web client support and Yoyo Games plugins is too much to ask for.

Now shut up and give him some concepts here.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:

There is. It's called Google Chrome.
In response to Fugsnarf
No, he needs some concepts.
Got this web browser navigating sites like google.com but it can't run web client. What does it need? Tested Robots.

Adobe Air's browser has almost zero HTML5 support, so... you'd need full HTML5 support.
HTML5 is a package of things. Which parts?
Any of the components relating to networking, graphics, sound, and input, I'd imagine. I'm not 100% sure of the extent of controls used, but you'd be better off implementing the bulk of them to make sure future compatibility is kept.

And on that note, you'll have to keep your browser constantly updated, as HTML5 is constantly evolving.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Google Chrome.
Google Chrome FTW
BYOND's web client is built for browsers. I only have to update the browser to run the web client.
Page: 1 2