ID:1714868

i have installed DreamDaemon in my Debian GNU/Linux 7.7 (wheezy)

some games are able to be hosted some are not like when i try to host some game it says

DreamDaemon: cannot open file Naruto.dmb.

is there any way to fix it some files work properly and some doesnt i have lattest version byond installed 506.1247

is there any solution
Try chmod and chown ing the file first.

It may be a case that the file is corrupt or the correct permissions aren't applied.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Try chmod and chown ing the file first.
i didnt get this part

It may be a case that the file is corrupt or the correct permissions aren't applied.

and the file are good as i have tested them in windows before hosting it with the shell

He means to set the proper permissions for the file of the game causing problems, in this case Naruto.dmb, for which he gave the commands.

chown <username|user:group> Naruto.dmb
In response to Fushimi
Fushimi wrote:
He means to set the proper permissions for the file of the game causing problems, in this case Naruto.dmb, for which he gave the commands.

chown Naruto.dmb

If you knew Linux at all, you would know that chown file .. doesn't work..

You need to supply an owner and a group.
I hope you do not mean you cannot use it on a file directly because you do.
I omitted the user argument for what I am sorry but you can use it on files, yes.

Also you do not necessarily need to supply a group, just a user is enough.

I am not near intermediate at it, but I am learning daily.
The guy was lost with your method of explaining the stuff so wanted to point some clarification, but seems I kind of failed at it.
And you're trying to run a hosting company? ...
Yes, exactly.
Practice makes the master.
In response to Fushimi
Fushimi wrote:
Yes, exactly.
Practice makes the master.

So every client of yours is in essence .. a guinea pig because you won't have a single clue about what to do if Webmin or something goes wrong.

PS, stacking all of those users on a 2.4GHZ server won't work when you get a few Naurto rips on that box.
They aren't. They aren't because I ever announced any of this I have had a lot of testing. About not having a single clue... BYOND hosting is byond hosting and there's nothing really special behind it.

Guinea pig yeah... I doubt something really bad will ever happen, and if so, I can always refund their money if I am not really able to solve the issue.

You say all of those users as if I would have all shared plans within one servers, which is not the case.
In response to Fushimi
Fushimi wrote:
You say all of those users as if I would have all shared plans within one servers, which is not the case.

So how can you afford to run each user on a dedicated server which would go for around 20 / 25 $ a month for $4 a month?

You're stacking them, you have to be or you're running at a massive loss. Which I see you've got two clients? so $40 a month minus $8 equal $32 out of your pocket.

Which isn't sustainable at all, unless of course they're all stacked.
No, I didn't say I had a dedicated server for each client, I said you should not expect me to put all my clients on a single server. I only have two clients, with SHARED plans, which actually share a single server.

Are you really trying to tell me a server will not be able to afford two users?

You are right I am stacking them, because that's the plan they chose. But what I meant to clarify is that I am not putting ALL shared plans on a single server.

EDIT: If you still do not get it, I will not buy two servers to have one unused, I obviously get them as needed.