Footrace for the Holy Grail

by Yut Put
Footrace for the Holy Grail
Mayhem in the middle ages! Play as classes like the archer, warrior, mage, or rogue in a racing battle royale described as "Super Smash Bros + Mario Kart"!
ID:1715064

Not coming any time soon, but coming.
will kiritsugu be in this one
Yesz!
A sequel? Awesome.
omg yes
alright interesting
Will their be some sort of energy resource so the game isn't so spammy and isn't simply won by downloading xpadder and binding the trigger feature to the attack command?
From my experience of testing it so far it isn't really spammy, mainly about mind games, atk reads, and graceful combos. Like even if you try to spam an atk it won't help you
In response to Moowishi
Moowishi wrote:
Will their be some sort of energy resource so the game isn't so spammy and isn't simply won by downloading xpadder and binding the trigger feature to the attack command?

trust me, i'm extremely aware of the flaws of Footrace. in footrace, you can win by mashing buttons really fast. most attacks will home in on your opponents, and knockback is ridiculously rapid. it's hard to understand what's going on most of the time.

in champions, the winner is the person who has the better mind games and movement. players must read each other, have an understanding of both characters' movement options, and there is a much stronger focus on defensive(but not campy) play. attacks will no longer home in, and getting a kill is much more difficult and rewarding.
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
Moowishi wrote:

trust me, i'm extremely aware of the flaws of Footrace. in footrace, you can win by mashing buttons really fast. most attacks will home in on your opponents, and knockback is ridiculously rapid. it's hard to understand what's going on most of the time.

in champions, the winner is the person who has the better mind games and movement. players must read each other, have an understanding of both characters' movement options, and there is a much stronger focus on defensive(but not campy) play. attacks will no longer home in, and getting a kill is much more difficult and rewarding.

just remember to make jester the best class.
In response to Blazekid
kill yourself
In response to Yut Put
Me, PerfectGoku, and Underworld Kid often play Smash 64 or Foot Race to settle disputes. If a certain 'champion' is picked it's more than just mind games. Good example the druid, Kid picks him every time we're on a race map and all he does is rush for his special and uses it knocking us off so easily.

Gotta love the retarded fan-boys that say there's nothing wrong with a BYOND game but they never even play it.
http://prntscr.com/54mf6k
Last played on the 4th by me and Shane.

Great game, great game, just has major balancing issues and it could be way more skill required, not saying there isn't a meta but it should be more challenging than spammy.

By the way some of the characters having the ability to reflect projectile is actually pretty damn annoying.
In response to Moowishi
Moowishi wrote:
but it should be more challenging than spammy.

i'm glad we both agree! this is the main design focus for the sequel. hopefully i can make a more challenging and enjoyable game with a deeper mental aspect.
In response to Yut Put
Sounds good. Finally someone on BYOND that take critique to the head and not up the rectum.
In response to Moowishi
Moowishi wrote:
Sounds good. Finally someone on BYOND that take critique to the head and not up the rectum.

You're just now realizing Yut Put is one of our better developers? Dang Baird, you kinda late.
In response to EmpirezTeam
I've always known he had potential, but sometimes a-lot of people including you like to be followers to entertain the stupid sheeple among us. If this had been a off topic post all hell would've broken loose.

I support this game fully but wont lie to myself like most people on this site denying it doesn't need work. I feel like knock backs are too easy, or its just the damage of spammy attacks that makes it seem that way.

There needs to be some sort of stun so people can do combos, like a slight stun that can lead to a chain of stuns if attacks are connected, opening a window of opportunity for larger attacks.
In response to Moowishi
Moowishi wrote:
There needs to be some sort of stun so people can do combos, like a slight stun that can lead to a chain of stuns if attacks are connected, opening a window of opportunity for larger attacks.

Boy, are your observations on point! Every single thing you've pointed out thus far hits right on Champions' core design focuses.

Here's how hitstun works in Champions:

The hitstun in this game triple the hitstun in footrace. There is a considerable amount of time during which your opponent can only influence the trajectory of their knockback, and not perform any actions.

There are four kinds of hitstun, two of which happen with every connected attack:
-Black Hitstun: Your character is keeled over a bit, and the color of your character is a notably dark red. During this hitstun, you can't perform any actions. If an opponent can attack you before you leave this hitstun, then the attack is a true combo. The game's attacks are very meticulously designed to leave tiny gaps between black hitstun. This hitstun happens any time an attack damages you.
-Red hitstun: Halfway through black hitstun, your character will enter a less crippled appearance and will be colored red instead of dark red. In this hitstun, you still can't perform any actions, but if you press the spacebar, you can cancel the hitstun by either shielding or dodging out of it. This can be followed up with a shield grab, etc, and is called "hitstun canceling" or "teching". It's tricky to do, so there is a technical barrier to it, but it is a key part of escaping fast combos.
-Blue hitstun: This is like the hitstun from the maiden's freeze effect or the archer's traps in footrace. Unlike before, however, the player in stun has the option to shield during this type of hitstun. You can't shield grab, or perform any abilities, but you can still hold up the shield and tilt it. When you're in blue hitstun, shielding is your best option, so there are few reasons why you shouldn't. However, it requires quick reaction time and depending on the matchup, a fast character could apply deadly shield pressure and lock you into place as a punish, or grab you.
Shield stun: If you're shielding and you're hit with an attack, you cann't perform any actions for 2/10 of a second(this amount of time is very carefully refined so that few attacks will lock you in shield).

Lastly, at 75% your hitstun will be twice as fast, and at 100% or higher your hitstun will be 2.5x as fast. This way, it scales up as you get closer to death, meaning it's much easier to combo players at low percents.

Players can also add vectors of knockback to their knockback by holding a directional key when they are hit. This allows players to slightly alter where they end up, but only with a tiny little vector(approximately 1/8th of the knockback)

Even though this is just a text-only explanation, I hope you can see the in-depth design going into this that was completely neglected in the design of footrace.
In response to Yut Put
I'm liking the sound of the direction you're taking this sequel. Keep up the good work and good luck I'll be waiting to play it.

By the way the name is way better.