ID:1722188

I don't think video games should have the right to give people a "break". If there's anything I hated more than repetitive gameplay, it was taking it easy for a while. Especially in open-world games like Skyrim. I want to play a hardcore game, not walk around the plains looking at 'pretty scenery'. I want every second to be a hardcore and unforgiving action sequence.

Puzzles in video games are even worse. Why am I wasting my time moving blocks around when I could be doing something more useful like training my reflexes? Just my own two cents.

Share your thoughts on challenge in video games!
play more nethack
As far as the longterm goes, I only enjoy fast-paced games that are centered on PVP. A perfect example of this, for me, is the Gears of War series. Before I came across that game, there was no game I played "hardcore" (for more than a week or two before getting bored). Skipping all other modes, I jumped straight into the multiplayer and I've been there ever since. The combat never gets old on Gears and I consider it to be one of the most well-done shooting games I've ever played.
So, CoD fan fo lyfe?
PooglyDoo wrote:
Why am I wasting my time moving blocks around when I could be doing something more useful like training my reflexes?

Because your life may not only depend on reflexes
I enjoy action as much as the next guy but I'm a person that needs intellectual stimulation, regularly.
I enjoy action as much as the next guy but I'm a person that needs intellectual stimulation, regularly.

Moving "blocks" around is tedious and does not count as intellectual stimulation. Looking at a poorly textured scenic view of a mountain is not intellectual stimulation.

Because your life may not only depend on reflexes

Maybe where you live it's okay to be kind of a nerd, but in my city, you'd better expect a fight at all times. You'll get your ass kicked if you don't train in games like Mortal Kombat and other reflex-trainers.
In response to PooglyDoo
Yeah, and I play GTA incase I have to go on a mass murder spree. No one cares where you live or how rough you think your life is.
"Training" in games like Mortal Kombat is going to get you beat up more than it would if you were playing puzzles games, because dilussionaly believing that playing video games has anything to do with fighting is going to get you killed.
"Training" in games like Mortal Kombat is going to get you beat up more than it would if you were playing puzzles games, because dilussionaly believing that playing video games has anything to do with fighting is going to get you killed.

Difference between training how to fight and training your own reflexes.
In response to PooglyDoo
Maybe where you live it's okay to be kind of a nerd, but in my city, you'd better expect a fight at all times. You'll get your ass kicked if you don't train in games like Mortal Kombat and other reflex-trainers.

Obvious troll is obvious.
Well since a large portion of Half Life 2 involved puzzles, and that game was crazy good, I'm going to have to conclude that anyone who doesn't like puzzles in games has a stupid, invalid opinion.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Half Life 2 begins with "Cool, a puzzle using the physics engine." and ends with "Ohh my godddd, another physics engine puzzle..."

I couldn't make it through HL-2. Same stuff over and over, got intensely boring.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Half Life 2 begins with "Cool, a puzzle using the physics engine." and ends with "Ohh my godddd, another physics engine puzzle..."

I couldn't make it through HL-2. Same stuff over and over, got intensely boring.

Your remaining Cool Points balance: 0
Good to know who to check in with when I need to know the absolute truth and nothing but the truth about who's cool and who's not.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Good to know who to check in with when I need to know the absolute truth and nothing but the truth about who's cool and who's not.

That's the only reason I've used BYOND for 9 years. To provide to the community the service you just described.
I requested a official rankings list of these points and who has them some time ago, still waiting.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
I requested a official rankings list of these points and who has them some time ago, still waiting.

Just know that I've accumulated more Cool Points and Certificates of Awesomeness than any other user on the site.

Even the Masterdan himself failed to attain my level of prestige.
Games should be bloody hard, but as a creator you need to respond to supply and demand. Most people like an average difficulty. So as a creator you need to realize that and make difficulty optional... Unless your marketing it as a tough game like demon souls. However I loved that game and think they need to be hard
Edit: though puzzles are awsome and make a good brain challenge from the mindless combat every once in a while
Not all game types can fit your criteria, though, Dante. In a game such as Animal Crossing, difficulty is almost irrelevant -- or at least needs to be redefined.

Now I can't really relate as well to the OP in that I actually enjoy games that "take it easy", such as Animal Crossing. You mentioned Demon Souls, Dante, and though I'm unfamiliar with that, I am familiar with Dark Souls. One thing that I think makes Dark Souls brilliant is that you can basically set your own difficulty by how you grow your character. In Dark Souls 2, for example, raising the right stats and sticking to magic is basically an easy mode of sorts. On the other hand, you can play a more melee-based character and get extra challenge. You can even forego things like the ring of life protection.

A game that can do this well, that is allowing the player to set their own difficulty by how they play the game, has the potential to appeal to a much wider audience than a game that is simply extremely difficult. It's also better than having the player choose arbitrary game modes at the beginning before they have even played the game.
Page: 1 2