In response to DarkNinjaNaut
DarkNinjaNaut wrote:
Today's world nobody follows constitution anymore. People Pirate things anything they want and get away from it.

Lol.
Sayaotonashis wrote:
I thought you guys made rules of ripped games or non-original ones to not have paying methods unless approved... -_-' Please, Byond staff, step your rules up a bit more.

I understand the legal ramifications of allowing fangames to accept money in return for in-game features, but we ultimately cannot stop this regardless of how strict our review policies are. We cannot feasibly monitor every single game created with the software at all times for illicit activity.

Sayaotonashis wrote:
The game that people are trying to host are getting IP banned and worse, getting their IP's shown on documents.

To my knowledge (though I am not a lawyer), revealing one's IP address isn't in any way illegal. Heck, just by logging into any of the games on BYOND the developers of said game can find out your IP address.

DarkNinjaNaut wrote:
That doesnt really matter ip address shows ever information. Shouldnt be open to the public, and it is already invading someone privacy. ... Somehow i get Pedophiles on my skype, people harassing me, or theirs those who threatens me to DoS me or DDoS.

If people are harrasing you or performing (distributed) denial of service attacks on you, then at this point you need to contact law enforcement. We are ill-equipped to handle these situations ourselves, and they've moved past being a BYOND issue and into being an actual legal issue.

PooglyDoo wrote:
A moderator has officially acknowledged the issue and said he wont do anything about it.

Even if I were to do something about it, in reality I'm very limited in what I can do. I feel as though people overestimate just how much power we moderators have over BYOND. At most, I can delist the hub (which doesn't remove the list of IPs that were posted, nor does it dissuade the developers of that game from selling in-game perks). I do not have the power to outright remove a hub from BYOND, and I lack the power to delete posts from a game's hub.

PooglyDoo wrote:
As do I, but the main issue with hosting fangames at all on BYOND is that it doesn't constitute abuse from the developers, but rather from the BYOND staff for monetizing off of these games, and Mr. Gateway Ra right here is too dumb to see this.

In what way are the Staff monetizing the game? A cursory glance at the game in question's hub shows they're not using the built-in subscription mechanism BYOND provides, so BYOND isn't actually gaining any percentage of whatever money is spent on that game.
GatewayRa wrote:
so BYOND isn't actually gaining any percentage of whatever money is spent on that game.

Think he's talking about in-game BYOND membership benefits and the money they make from displaying video advertisements.

Benefits is fine, video ads are third party the provider of that software/API would be the one who needs to deal with this issue, in the end they'll just get their account suspended and possibly no money that is pending on the account..

They'll just find another provider and do it all again..

It's not really that big of a deal IMO, it's being blown out of proportion..
A.T.H.K wrote:
It's not really that big of a deal IMO, it's being blown out of proportion..
In response to DarkNinjaNaut
DarkNinjaNaut wrote:
Today's world nobody follows constitution anymore. People Pirate things anything they want and get away from it.
Do all sort of things.

I think you should know that at the time the constitution was written, the atlantic slave trade was in full swing. Just sayin
If this game was made in Unity, do you think the Unity devs would care?

(Hint: They wouldn't.)

Ultimately it's up to developers what they want to do with their games. It doesn't affect BYOND at all - the most that could happen to BYOND is a request from the IP holders to take down the hub, which I'm sure the mods would be happy to comply with.

As for the IP thing, maybe don't play shady games if you don't want your IP all over the internet.

You guys really need to get your heads out of your asses and grow up.
If this game was made in Unity, do you think the Unity devs would care?

If this information was being linked on their website, they would.

As for the IP thing, maybe don't play shady games if you don't want your IP all over the internet.

So, if you don't want to get raped, don't wear short skirts?
In response to PooglyDoo
PooglyDoo wrote:

Makes sense to me.
PS: The original DBZ game of this was called Dragonball Finale.

I finally found the game:

January 7th 2014: Removed EXGenesis's admin due to popular demand, added some protection against EXGenesis DDoS system that he runs 24/7 to lag servers he doesn't like

(4/15/2011): Because Funimation/BYOND keep deleting our hubs, ExGenesis has made a nice custom hub for the game. You can find the link above this. Please spread the word it's the only way the game will survive.

(4/11/2011): Admins have a verb to view all emotes on the server

(3/18/2011):
Alien transformation, admin given for RP, but also as a pack.

In response to PooglyDoo
PooglyDoo wrote:
If this information was being linked on their website, they would.

Hence why the hub is suppressed once a C&D is issued. Currently, Funimation is showing no sign of being bothered by the alleged copyright infringement, so neither is BYOND. BYOND has zero barrier to entry - they don't make their own games, they're basically just an aggregator.

More like don't wear a short skirt and then go down a dark alleyway alone at night when you know that several other people have been raped in the same alley.
Skimpy clothing has not been shown to "egg-on" rapists. People need to stop believing that drivel.

Even if it did, however, it would be stupid to ask women to change their behavior because certain men were committing sexual crimes.

It is similarly stupid to ask players to avoid games that will infringe on their privacy, as if there's any way for them to know ahead of time. It isn't their fault for playing the wrong game, it is the fault of the people running the game and doing sketchy stuff.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
Skimpy clothing has not been shown to "egg-on" rapists. People need to stop believing that drivel.

Type "Honey Cocaine - Curveball" into YT search and watch the first video.
Why?
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
Why?

It's a video of a chick prancing around in skimpy clothing which is egging on men to act like thirsty retards. And these are not rapists, so if law abiding people had this sort of reaction, you can just imagine what an opportunistic rapist would've done if this chick was walking down the street at 2AM wearing the same outfit.
Magicsofa wrote

People need to stop generalizing. Not all sexual predators can be thrown into a single garbage bag of categorization.
As a sexual predator, I will say for me it is the clothing, and their faces of fear and disgust. The clothing doesn't have to be skimpy of course, I find when the clothes are off they look worse.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:

Even if it did, however, it would be stupid to ask women to change their behavior because certain men were committing sexual crimes.

It is similarly stupid to ask players to avoid games that will infringe on their privacy, as if there's any way for them to know ahead of time. It isn't their fault for playing the wrong game, it is the fault of the people running the game and doing sketchy stuff.

In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:

I don't agree with this sentiment at all. I always do at least a bit of preliminary research on whether or not a game will A) give me a virus or B) somehow distribute my personal information. There are a lot of shady programs on the internet and if you're not researching them before you use them then you are naive.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Although one wouldn't expect to find a game which distributes personal information on a site which is pretty much focused around teens and anime lovers whom wish to find a game which is similar to their favorite series.
In response to Kboy33
Kboy33 wrote:
Although one wouldn't expect to find a game which distributes personal information on a site which is pretty much focused around teens and anime lovers whom wish to find a game which is similar to their favorite series.

I don't know about you, but that is exactly where I would expect to find that type of thing.
Page: 1 2 3