ID:1725868

I just got back in to pixel art today. I was never really good drawing on the computer (totally different on paper). But, I tried my hand at something a bit more simple.

There's no shading since I have no experience shading at all and would rather not ruin it. It looks good, in my opinion, without shading. But, it still seems dull... So, maybe it needs shading. What should I do?

Also, are the squares too small to work with? doesn't seem like much shading can fit inside those bad boys.

Edit:

I decided to do the next step -- The walls.

Once again, no shading. The dullness is starting to be realize a bit more.

I thought the close similarity between the wall's color and the floor's color would make it be unidentifiable. But, it seems to work good enough.

Still, shading would make this this beautiful. Too bad I just simply have no clue how to go about it.

Next up, the rim/edges.
I ruined it! D:

What did you do!?
Break up the tiles a bit.
How's this?

P.S. I didn't refresh. So, this post was made without me even seeing anything after Lavitiz.

-----

I made the walls a bit more lighter. I'm also thinking of adding a crack in it. Not sure how to do. I'll post my attempt if nobody gives any suggestions.

i don't know if it's just me but that tile destroys my eyes
In response to Neimo
Neimo wrote:
i don't know if it's just me but that tile destroys my eyes

Yeah? No kidding. It does hurt.

Edit:

Yep, it hurts like hell. How do I make it not hurt? When moving around in the game with tiles like this... It's horrid. Why?
Style: Southend_boi

Tile

I really like his shading style been using it alot but aahh.

But concerning your stuff when I look at it I feel the tiles are so small its kinda confusing. In a sense of the tiles being to busy. A good way to fix that in my opinion is to suggest tiles in some areas and leave some empty.

My example isnt finished and can use alot of work on some tiles.
It hurts because it stutters and repeats. It just kind of exhausts you when you see it to me.

That's why artists break it up OR like YutPut says, make it actual background like it's supposed to be.
I tried changing the color scheme and patter. Here's my floor. I know it's not perfect, but just how close am I to producing something "not" irritating to the eyes and still visually appealing?

32x32 (Preview is in 64x64)

320x320 (Preview is in 640x640)

32x32

320x320

I'm not really asking whether or not I should add different tiles in right now. I'm more looking to see if others think it's good by itself. Then I'll work on throwing in some cracks and things of the sort. :)

-----

Edit:
I decided to make a second variation which will be followed by a cracked version.

I don't like it. Perhaps I didn't do what Yut Put told me to do. I tried. I guess I threw in too much details again?

Yut Put wrote:
in terms of gameplay, the flooring should always be the last thing you see
There's a very obvious grid going on in the tile. One of the main points of pixelling good tiles is to not have a visible grid. Horizontally it's alright, vertically not so much. I recommend maybe adding some half diamonds (squares?) to the empty spaces on the top and bottom so that when put together they line up.
In response to Amad2
Amad2 wrote:
There's a very obvious grid going on in the tile. One of the main points of pixelling good tiles is to not have a visible grid. Horizontally it's alright, vertically not so much. I recommend maybe adding some half diamonds (squares?) to the empty spaces on the top and bottom so that when put together they line up.

it your palette colors way to bright.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
it your palette colors way to bright.

Ok its still a little bit irritating lol maybe its the tiling it creates. Pick a better pattern?
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Ok its still a little bit irritating lol maybe its the tiling it creates. Pick a better pattern?

Well, sheesh. I've already done two patterns of my own. Without any suggestions as to what pattern I should use, I'm beginning to get like most. "$#*@ pixel art. It's too hard." Yeah, I'm very happy with what I am producing when it's by itself. But, when repeated it... it is indeed annoying. I do also think that I have come a long way from my first variation of these red tiles, same with the purple. It's not like I'm not trying either, that's clearly seen.

Can I get some more tips or something? I've been doing research on how to break things up by looking at other pixel art. I haven't been able to pick up much by myself. So, at this point, I need some help.

Edit:

Things I've learned from this post -

To get rid of the tile feeling on ALL sides by letting the bottom and top merge and left and right. Sort of like a seamless approach.

Fill in empty spaces with difference sizes or details.

Don't use insanely bright colors? I'm guessing this applies to things that repeat a lot?

Lighter = foreground, darker = background. Floors are considered background and shouldn't be noticed as much. Based on this, I'm guessing darker makes it less easy to see, also making it easier on the eyes.
I'm actually pretty fond of the dark red tile. Keep it up!

I'll post some updates on the red tile as well.
That looks much better.
Page: 1 2