ID:1728973

I miss this game, we should all band together to help bring it back to life!
I already wrote a post back in August (which can be found here) that explains why "banding together to help bring it back to life" really isn't feasible. Making a post like this in three places on here isn't going to do anything more. I'm also fairly certain this post doesn't belong on the "BYOND Discussion" sub-forum, and if a moderator could help with that I would appreciate it.
If you get me the host files I can run it all day for ya. If it consistently has players I'll keep it running.

It doesn't hurt to try to bring it back to life.
I appreciate the offer but it isn't a matter of not being able to host the game. I have at least two more hosting offers already. The problem is that the game was terribly made by the original creator and I can't justify spending the time to work on it anymore. I also cannot release hosting files or open source the game since it isn't mine and I've been asked not to.
And I suppose no one thought to email Ginseng?

If the game will never be available again, remove it from the hub, or at least remove it until it is available. There's no point to it being up there just to taunt people that actually like it.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:

If the game will never be available again, remove it from the hub, or at least remove it until it is available. There's no point to it being up there just to taunt people that actually like it.

It's really not hard to find Ginseng. I talk to him like once a year at minimum.

As for removing it from the hub -- No. That's insane. It's a legacy just about. Been around for years. People can still post to the hub. It's a source of possibly bringing it back alive. Removing it from the hub is no better than beating a dead baby. Just give it time. It's not harming anything.
Having dead hubs around is just a waste. If there's no way to play the game, why have it up? Shall I post a ton of hubs (like maybe 50) post awesome pictures of the game, hype it in the comments and watch people suffer?

Any game that cannot be downloaded or has not been hosted within the past 2 months should be removed from the hub (or at least invisible)
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Any game that cannot be downloaded or has not been hosted within the past 2 months should be removed from the hub (or at least invisible)

I think this already happens. The hubs are identified as "unavailable" if there is no download and no recent hosts, and will stop showing up in search results:
http://www.byond.com/games/?text=lands+of+legend
In response to DarkCampainger
Very good, carry on.
In response to DarkCampainger
Lugia319 wrote:

I talk to Ginseng every time I know he's active online. Last I heard, he has little interest in the game anymore in favor of bigger projects. He handed the game off to another guy, who said that I shouldn't release the game's files. Unfortunately for the game, I was the last one that had the time to work on it actively.

DarkCampainger wrote:
I think this already happens. The hubs are identified as "unavailable" if there is no download and no recent hosts, and will stop showing up in search results:
http://www.byond.com/games/?text=lands+of+legend

Thanks for the clarification, DC. Like Xirre mentioned, it really is a legacy game now. The hub provides what little communication I still have with players, aside from this topic. I like to think that the game won't be gone forever. It's already been pronounced irreversibly dead twice just in the time I've been a part of it.
I've gotten my hands on the hosting files. Rejoice! Contact me via pager if you're interested in helping me admin and revive this game.
In response to Kihatomay
I'm curious where you got them from, since those aren't supposed to be passed around. Also, unless it's a heavily modified version (like those I worked on) it's going to run quite slowly and will generally be a poor experience overall for players.

I'm not going to stop you from hosting, but I will ask that you don't give admin status to -anyone-. It will only save you much headache.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Very good, carry on.

You didn't know that? I thought you meant delete it as a whole. Also, there is a way to play it. Hell, there are sources you can find around the hub. The hub itself is still valuable.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:
Very good, carry on.

You didn't know that? I thought you meant delete it as a whole. Also, there is a way to play it. Hell, there are sources you can find around the hub. The hub itself is still valuable.

The hub is only valuable as long as the game can be played. When the game can no longer be played due to the game's host files no longer being available for any reason, the game can no longer be played and a hub entry is pointless. Though I am willing to accept this as a difference of opinion at this point.