Event Dec 15 2014, 6:00 pm
to Dec 28 2014, 5:59 pm
ID:1740551

They sent us here, with only some engineers and a small security detail. They said it would be easy. Guard the fort from outsiders. The mining will attract enemies, like small Velocityraptors or Professor T Rex. If only relativistic anomalies were all we had to worry about. They never mentioned what else lurked in the night.

I toss and turn in my space blanket at night, wondering if I'll survive the next day. I've seen things no man should see. I've seen whole squadrons mowed down by a single Velocityraptor, the red one. It's three times stronger (TM) than the others. I've seen giant turtles bite through gates made to withstand nuclear explosions. I've seen my men die by the hundreds to scorpions that fight from far outside their gun ranges. It's horrible, I may as well be living in Australia.

All of this for the sake of what, crystals. Greedy investors, quick to berate us for requiring more funds to sustain their effort. Greedy investors that sit safely in their spacecraft, sending drone transport ships to take their "hard earned money" back to them. I need money to hire more troops, it's a tough job and the risks are high. People don't want to die on some planet for the sake of some lazy bum looking to cut a profit. If only they'd understand...

This looks like the end. Hope this log makes it out and makes a difference to the people in charge of this...

The Game
The game is Abra's Space Castle. All you need to do is last as long as you can and may the best man win. Please do hard mode as that is the mode that lets you play indefinitely.

Participation
Same as last time, 1 picture with everyone talking so I know who's in the run and a picture of the message you get at the end with clearly visible time lasted. Alternatively you can send me a video of your run (.avi or .wmv please) which is an added incentive if you're looking for points.

Send all entries to [email protected] OR post them right here.

Scoring
Participation: 1 point per person. Same as last time. 4 people playing, every person gets 4 points for participation.

Winning: 3 points per person on winning team. To win, you must last the longest out of all people entered (which if last week is any indication, isn't hard at all).

Video Entry: If you submit a video file (must be sent to my email to receive credit) you will be awarded an extra 5 points. This also applies to everyone in run.

Roleplay: You may get an additional 2 points for submitting a roleplay of your run in this thread or attached to the email of your participation credit.

Time Limit
I botched the start date because I was working a 9PM-7AM shift, sorry. Because of that, you have about 10 days to do this. Good luck!

Have fun guys! Hope we get a nice turnout!
Yo, who wants to team up with me??
One of my first memories of the NBotLS crew, me, you, Mega, and Slice playing Space Castle... good times... good times...
In response to Crimsonsabre
Crimsonsabre wrote:
One of my first memories of the NBotLS crew, me, you, Mega, and Slice playing Space Castle... good times... good times...

Space Castle is legit. Our soldier only strategy got us to like 3200 seconds or something.
Crimsonsabre and I are gonna do a vid run sometime tomorrow. If you want in on it, add me on pager and I'll send an update when we're doing it.
As a bonus point, does anyone get the joke I made with the (TM)?
No pictures, no emails, no nuttin. No one wants to participate in contests unless there's money involved and there's no point in me giving out memberships because anyone that participates most likely has one. I suppose I could donate to BYOND the more people participate. Would that get more people into these?
Sorry, I actually couldn't run the game. It wouldn't seem to work using the pager and I even tried to download the ZIP which seems to be corrupted or something.
As Magicsofa said, I tried a couple times earlier and it didn't seem to want to open. The issue with people attending is that not a lot of people enjoy the 'retro' games that are on BYOND. Don't get me wrong there are people that do, I being one, but they just don't want to put the effort in. Also, the forums aren't really as active as most people think. I would suggest going to other sites along with posting here. You have to generate some buzz and even get new people to BYOND who haven't played these games in the past.
In response to Akto
"Hey I just joined this website, do you want to join this other website and download this other client just to play a limited number of decent games"
Well, if you are going to post on another website I would hope it would be more than one sentence. You aren't going to get anyone that way.
In response to Akto
I don't have people skills, it's not part of the job requirements. Get some kind of communicator onto that. Reddit and 4chan already joined BYOND for SS13.
So, why not try posting there and expand their knowledge of the range of BYOND games? You don't need people skills, you are typing to a computer.
In response to Akto
Akto wrote:
So, why not try posting there and expand their knowledge of the range of BYOND games? You don't need people skills, you are typing to a computer.

Why don't you try posting there and expand their knowledge of the range of BYOND games?
I have, but we aren't talking about me here. You are the one hosting this event I am simply giving you advice on how to get more participants. No need to get rough, did I offend you or something? Sorry.
In response to Akto
Akto wrote:
I have, but we aren't talking about me here.

We are talking about you here. You know how to advertise BYOND to other websites, right? Do it. I'm not hosting a contest because a contest implies participants and participation usually needs incentive and there are no incentives to offer as far as BYOND goes (because membership means jack squat here) and a small prize ($10) is not worth downloading a new client only to spend about 30 minutes on it. Client is only worth as much as the games you can play on it.

Tbh I really don't care if people don't participate in these contests. They were an idea to get BYOND lively again with minimal effort. I mean, everyone loves these games, right? Takes like 30 minutes to finish them? But apparently not, so I just won't bother.
Maybe put Dragon Ball Z... in space! I bet lots of people would show up :D
In response to Zasif
This is a really good idea. Why didn't I think of it?