ID:1742723

Hello, a person named Luke5050 has made a copy of my source source, an 100% exact copy and hosts a private server. Is there anyway I can make it so I can shut down that source, so when he launches the game. It won't let anyone join?
No, you're fucked. That's the most polite way I can put it. If there isn't some method of shutting it down manually that's placed into the source he has, there's no way you can shut him down. Don't hand your source out like candy next time.
Short answer: no.
If he's hosting on your hub entry, you can change the hub password to prevent his version from being listed there.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do if he has the source. Even if you had a method programmed into the game to remotely kill it, as Xorbah mentioned, because he has the source he could just remove it.

Typically the best course of action in situations like these is to just learn from your mistake, and continue working on your game to make the leaked version inferior.
In code this is not feasible. That's kind of the point of open-source code, after all.

Your only real options are legal ones. You will have to post more information for us to help you with that, though, and you might not want to go down that road any farther than sending a simple cease-and-desist. If they ignore it, you'll have to hire a lawyer and that will cost more than you are willing to spend on this code.

What is the code? So I can add it for feature purposes.
In response to Shinx1
Shinx1 wrote:

So, what you're saying is that you're not competent enough in programming to do it yourself, suggesting your game is probably a rip. Probably.
Why do you even care so much that someone else is hosting a server? If you enjoy coding, you shouldn't care. If you enjoy seeing other people happy, you shouldn't care. The only reason to care is that you want to make the whole game all about you, which isn't a good recipe for success.

Just let it go. Live and let live.
My game isn't a RIP. :P Unless you find other Warrior Cats games on BYOND. And if it looks exactly like mine. I'm learning as I'm going :P
Honestly, looks like you stripped down a Naruto rip and added in cats.
In response to NNAAAAHH
I was just about to say that aswell, there is nothing original about your game other then the Cats which prob are ripped from something else also, and why would you make a game with cats, its super creepy. And its your own fault for giving ur ripped source to someone, once you done that means you agree that whoever has it can do whatever he wants with it.
The icons were just from Icon Share, besides the cat icons. They're just "edited" Espeon icons. And not to mention the majorty of BYOND games uses these default icons :P. RIP means coping someone's coding, and what not. Nothing to do with icons.
Besides, is Naruto one of those real life games or? I asked for advice, not for ppl to say "Ooooh, look. I think that guy ripped!" Sorry, but it just pisses me off when ppl do that. They can't really say it, if the coding and everything is different. Just because the icons are the same of other games? So what. The majorty of games on BYOND have same icons.
Shinx1 wrote:

First, if your game's free (and it looks like it is), see MrPerson's comment. Stop wasting your time.

Otherwise, the BYOND platform makes this laughably easy, since the server handles basically all processing, even most graphics rendering and UI interaction, so the code you write in DM never runs on their computer. So it'd be pointless to try to implement any sort of DRM ("Digital Rights Management"): just don't hand out the code to people you don't trust.

In response to Shinx1
Shinx1 wrote:
So what. The majorty of games on BYOND have same icons.

Fuckin' A. Not sure whether to be disappointed that this is true, or laugh at the stupidity.

I think the appropriate reaction is to CRY - CRY that someone thinks this is an okay statement to make.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Honestly, looks like you stripped down a Naruto rip and added in cats.

I laughed harder than I should have reading that.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
Shinx1 wrote:
So what. The majorty of games on BYOND have same icons.

Fuckin' A. Not sure whether to be disappointed that this is true, or laugh at the stupidity.

I think the appropriate reaction is to CRY - CRY that someone thinks this is an okay statement to make.

I'm crying
I can't even find an original pixel artist to HIRE much less do any significant work for free.

If I could, I would have redone all the icons in my game to be original a long time ago.

I think the reason the same icons are re-used so often on BYOND is because there's no real pixel artists to be found, even for paid jobs.
In response to Lizard_Sphere_X
None here, but there are plenty if you look outside these forums.
I must be looking in the wrong place
Page: 1 2