ID:1745039

Hey guys, thought I would create this post because I want your guy's thoughts on this. I'm pretty sure most of you guys started with Fan-Games and moved over the Original pieces of work. I myself have been thinking of an original concept of mine for awhile, and thought I'd shed it upon the BYOND community. Problem is, I spent most of my BYOND years making fan-games from scratch (specifically, Yugioh and Pokemon). Do you think it's a hard transition to switch from a pre-made genre to something completely new? Anything I should look out for whether it be the community or just coding in general? My idea was a RPG that behaved like MegaMan where if you kill something, you get their powers. All comments are welcomed.
You should go for it, because its your own thing that you are creating feels alot better when you make your own game especially if you can produce the art for it. I've tryed it aswell with my game Troithea but the lack of art unmotivated me.
Go for it! It takes more effort and time but it makes the final product so much more rewarding. I started off with Pokemon fan games so I know the feel.
Kumorii we should all team up and make an Open World zombie game, loved ur Feed game. :X
it's kind of fun, because you eventually realize, "wow, i can add anything i want to this and it'll still make sense"

it's important to learn to love your fictional world, and spend a lot of time with your mind in it. if you believe in and love your own universe, others will be able to too.
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
it's kind of fun, because you eventually realize, "wow, i can add anything i want to this and it'll still make sense"

This ^
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:

it's important to learn to love your fictional world, and spend a lot of time with your mind in it. if you believe in and love your own universe, others will be able to too.

This 100%.

There's nothing inherently wrong with bringing your favourite work of fiction to life in a game. All existing games that come out after the IP was created do this already (You know, that's what licensing is for and whatnot).

Regardless of what you make at the end of the day, what you're doing is you're bringing some fictional world to life in the way that inspires you. The ONLY thing that you do by following an existing IP is that you give yourself a framework and set rules to go by. It's easier on the developer to work with rules that have been given than to make up rules and make sure they all interact seamlessly.

Don't fall into the trap that fangames are bad. The BYOND community is full of tossers. Fangames are not bad. There's nothing inherently "wrong" about fangames.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
There's nothing inherently wrong with bringing your favourite work of fiction to life in a game. All existing games that come out after the IP was created do this already (You know, that's what licensing is for and whatnot).

Regardless of what you make at the end of the day, what you're doing is you're bringing some fictional world to life in the way that inspires you. The ONLY thing that you do by following an existing IP is that you give yourself a framework and set rules to go by. It's easier on the developer to work with rules that have been given than to make up rules and make sure they all interact seamlessly.

Don't fall into the trap that fangames are bad. The BYOND community is full of tossers. Fangames are not bad. There's nothing inherently "wrong" about fangames.

Very well said.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Fangames are not bad. There's nothing inherently "wrong" about fangames.

Except copyright infringement. That is an actual crime with potentially serious punishments involved.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:
Fangames are not bad. There's nothing inherently "wrong" about fangames.

Except copyright infringement. That is an actual crime with potentially serious punishments involved.

Copyright infringement is only being committed in the case of trying to profit off of the game. All other use is protected under the fair use act. Well most other cases anyway.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Copyright infringement is only being committed in the case of trying to profit off of the game. All other use is protected under the fair use act. Well most other cases anyway.

Except that is not true. Copyright infringement is using someone elses copyrighted materials without permission. You don't need to profit off of it, just use it without permission, which I doubt anyone here has.

Also, fair use only covers parodies, educational use and for reviewing purposes only. But in such a case you can only use a small slice of it and not the whole thing.
Lets stay on topic, so any thoughts on what you're gonna do? WorldWideDuelist ^^
The Magic Man wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:

Except that is not true. Copyright infringement is using someone elses copyrighted materials without permission. You don't need to profit off of it, just use it without permission, which I doubt anyone here has.

Also, fair use only covers parodies, educational use and for reviewing purposes only. But in such a case you can only use a small slice of it and not the whole thing.

It's pretty obvious that every fangame here is a parody. And they're not using the entire thing, and you can provide an educational argument through learning of programming and pixel art.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
It's pretty obvious that every fangame here is a parody. And they're not using the entire thing, and you can provide an educational argument through learning of programming and pixel art.

In the eyes of the law, a parody has a very specific definition. I doubt any game here meets said definition.

Considering most of the games are roleplay anyway, they're fully protected. There's nothing stopping you from creating your own fanfic.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Considering most of the games are roleplay anyway, they're fully protected. There's nothing stopping you from creating your own fanfic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_with_fan_fiction

Fanfiction is illegal too.
Dam, we are doomed Q_Q
The Magic Man wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_with_fan_fiction

Fanfiction is illegal too.

I'm pretty sure everything is covered under commerical use since several fanfiction websites aren't being shut down.

Edit: I'm gonna add that copyrights are only as strong as the money you're willing to spend to enforce it. There's a copyright on a stick, but you don't see people getting sued over having sticks all over their yards.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I'm pretty sure everything is covered under commerical use since several fanfiction websites aren't being shut down.

Edit: I'm gonna add that copyrights are only as strong as the money you're willing to spend to enforce it. There's a copyright on a stick, but you don't see people getting sued over having sticks all over their yards.

Copyright infringement is a civil offence, not a criminal one. This means it's up to the infringed upon party to seek justice. Usually by suing people.

If they wanted to, they could sue. If they don't want to, they don't have to, but they still hold the right to sue at any time.
Page: 1 2