In response to Lugia319
You're trying way too hard to justify the legality of fan-games here. The fact of the matter is that BYOND is lucky it has only received a few DMCA notices rather than being sued out of existence for harboring illegal material. Because a bunch of teenagers think they're entitled to use someone else's intellectual property.
In response to LordAndrew
I defend creation and the intellectual freedom of those to pursue the creations they desire. I personally don't believe in restricting creation because someone else thought of it first. Derivative work litters history (See: Calculus) and there are arguments here to defending fangames.
Yeah, but this isn't the federal circuit, so I don't think we're really going to come to any new understanding of copyright law here that affects BYOND I'm afraid.
I never read "Thou shalt not make fan-games" in the United American Bill of Constitutions. Our fondling fourfathers had no problem with it so I don't see where BYOND gets off having a problem with it.
Well, yanno, it passes the time a bit, keeps the forums active etc.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
The ONLY thing that you do by following an existing IP is that you give yourself a framework and set rules to go by.

You also give yourself free advertising.

Back on topic, I never had the experience of transitioning from fan-game to original-game because I was never interested in making a fan-game. And although I agree that there's nothing inherently wrong about making fan-games, I think it's sort of a waste of time. Once you have completed your fan game, you can't really tell anyone you made "a game." It's always gonna be "a fan game" meaning it's not completely yours.
Magicsofa wrote:
And although I agree that there's nothing inherently wrong about making fan-games, I think it's sort of a waste of time. Once you have completed your fan game, you can't really tell anyone you made "a game." It's always gonna be "a fan game" meaning it's not completely yours.

In the case of a developer constraining themselves to the IP [and outright copying every thing], I agree.
The thing I never understood about fan-game developers is why it's so difficult for them to... not make a fan-game. They act like they can't make a game INSPIRED by their favorite anime or game series, like what Silk Games did with NEStalgia. We all know that game was heavily inspired by Dragon Warrior, but it's not Dragon Warrior, it's NEStalgia.

What I'm trying to say is you can make fan-games without actually making fan-games. If you like Pokemon so much, then just make a monster raising game with your own monster concepts and gameplay ideas. That's essentially what Minecraft is. It was heavily inspired by Infiminer, but turned out to be something much more successful. We need more Notchs - people who take inspiration and build a BETTER mousetrap as opposed to an identical one. We wouldn't have half the great games we have today if people just sought to make exact clones of their favorite games. The reason we have fun games is because people take their favorite games and use that inspiration to improve upon that particular concept and give people a fresh experience.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
The thing I never understood about fan-game developers is why it's so difficult for them to... not make a fan-game. They act like they can't make a game INSPIRED by their favorite anime or game series, like what Silk Games did with NEStalgia. We all know that game was heavily inspired by Dragon Warrior, but it's not Dragon Warrior, it's NEStalgia.
NEStalgia is dragon warrior, who are you trying to kid.

You know, The thing I never understood about fan-game developers music artists is why they can't make a song INSPIRED by Pachelbel instead of making the same songs over and over again. I've never understood why fanfic writers write fanfic instead of writing their own books. I mean, there are only like over nine thousand fangames made (that actually got sold) right? Why would you make a fangame like that? Why would you make Street Fighter 7 Dragonball Z Tenkaichi?

People make what they want to make. If they want to make a fangame, if they want to expand on an existing universe in a way that they are inspired to, that's on them. It's easy to talk about "clones" of games when basically every MMORPG you see these days is the same as the others. Let's see you can be the mage, the warrior, the healer, or the tanky dude. You have 6 types of stats, Attack, Defense, Agility, etc., and make sure you report all of those gold sellers. That's why it's so refreshing when something new comes out. I loved Rusty Hearts even if it was really cheesy. Maybe because it was cheesy. I loved Firefall when it came out. Interesting story, and they really made the fps part of the entire game. Getting resources actually felt like getting resources. NEStalgia is the biggest scam I've seen come across BYOND and I'm honestly surprised it got so popular when the original games were so much better and can be played on Vizzed for free in their entirety.

What I'm trying to say is, fangames don't have to be same the game over and over again, that's the developer's fault. You can cry for more Notchs but maybe the problem is that YOU won't step up to the plate.
I don't really care about what people make. I just don't understand what it feels like to have zero creativity and to have to rely on someone else's IP, back story, characters, and concepts in their entirety in order to develop a game, and then to be stupid enough to continue to make said games and attempt to profit from them even when other people around you are being handed C&Ds.

Perhaps you can enlighten me. Is it just pure laziness? Are some people just extremely bad at creating their own worlds and that's why they make fan-games? Why is it that people who can create games without ripping off someone elses idea entirely have always been the minority here? Or even in game development in general?

Even on Steam you see the same things over and over. Every game nowadays is either a zombie survival or a game about cubes. Then you know what'll happen? Someone with some actual damn creativity will come along and make something that blows everyone's mind and then the thousands of herp de derps who couldn't game design their way out of a paper bag are going to come make hundreds upon hundreds of god awful rip offs of that guys idea and make that the new indie game trend.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be that guy who can't game design their way out of a paper bag and makes god awful zombie survival and cube game rip offs. Strive to be that one rare guy who blows everyone's mind. That's who I always attempted to be back when I was developing games. Too bad I was designing games in a community that was more concerned with anime nonsense and anti-moderator drama. My efforts went largely unnoticed.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Perhaps you can enlighten me. Is it just pure laziness? Are some people just extremely bad at creating their own worlds and that's why they make fan-games? Why is it that people who can create games without ripping off someone elses idea entirely have always been the minority here? Or even in game development in general?

Maybe I can enlighten you, I'll try. But I will point out ahead of time that a lot of these "original" setups usually follow a mould of their own. Even if you create you create your own characters in generic fantasy setting, you're still using the generic fantasy setting with all of the tropes you'll use. And that's not a bad thing, people like what's familiar. In addition, odds are if you're creating your own characters, you'll make them flat.

The idea of a "role-playing game" is that you play someone that isn't yourself. When you make a fangame, you're pretty much just borrowing someone else's dungeon from a quest manual. Why can't you be original and write your own quests and make your own dungeons? Because you're new to the shebang and you need a jumping point. Same thing with fangames. Maybe after writing a fangame you'll gain the experience to make your own games. I believe a good deal of people on this site STARTED on fangames and eventually branched out. The target demographic for BYOND is the same demographic for shounen anime, so it's pretty obvious it was gonna happen.

Also, people really like their IP of choice. Who doesn't want to be a super saiyan beat up cell like the pansy he is? Who doesn't want to ride the frog with narto? So you make a game where you can be a super saiyan and beat up cell. You make a game where you can ride the frog with narto. It's a self-fulfillment that people provide themselves. And again, it's easier to just work from an existing mould than to make your own.

I don't get why people think easy is bad. Why easy means lazy. I don't do all of my calculations in Cartesian coordinates if spherical coordinates make the math easier. You want to make a racing game? You make Mario kart BYOND. All of the powerups are made for you, the racers, you can make your own tracks, yeah. And it's not like through making this game you've learned nothing of how to make other games, or an original BYOND kart. If you stopped focusing on the product and more on how you got there, you'd find that fangames bridge the gap between teenager wanting to program bleach games and teenager wanting to program games.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Even if you create you create your own characters in generic fantasy setting, you're still using the generic fantasy setting with all of the tropes you'll use.

Of course, that's why we have genres. But there's a big difference in, for example, Minecraft and Terraria vs Minecraft and ...I don't know, just type "sandbox build" into Steam search and pick any one of the games that look like carbon copies of Minecraft.

Also, people really like their IP of choice. Who doesn't want to be a super saiyan beat up cell like the pansy he is? Who doesn't want to ride the frog with narto? So you make a game where you can be a super saiyan and beat up cell. You make a game where you can ride the frog with narto. It's a self-fulfillment that people provide themselves. And again, it's easier to just work from an existing mould than to make your own.

I'm just saying I don't understand why if a person likes super saiyans and jutsus, they can't just make a game with transformations and giant frogs without biting off the animes completely. I'll give you an example. My first strategy game on BYOND was "Empirez", and it was heavily inspired by one of my all time favorite games: Dynasty Warriors. Before making it, I had two options just like everyone else who makes games had: I either make it literally a Dynasty Warriors clone, or I take everything I like about Dynasty Warriors and use that as a foundation to build my own concepts on. I chose the latter option. What I ended up with was sort of like a 2D Hyrule Warriors. I was able to take inspiration from Dynasty Warriors but still create something that played and felt like its own entity. In fact, the few players that were helping me test never even mentioned that the game felt similar to Dynasty Warriors, which means I succeeded in being inspired by something but still making something that felt almost completely new.

I don't get why people think easy is bad.

I don't think easy is bad. My favorite game development engine is Construct 2 because it has drag and drop options. I love easy. What I don't love is short cuts that don't yield any benefits. I only take short cuts when I know there's absolutely 0 reason for me to do it the hard way. I use drag and drop because most of my game ideas nowadays are very casual and straightforward and writing them in C# or Java or whatever just doesn't make any sense. Now of course if I wanted to make the next WoW, I'd have to suck it up and learn programming because at that point it'd be stupid to assume I can drag and drop my way to a creating a game as large as WoW. When it comes to the actual game, I just see very little reason to take the easy route and infringe rather than making your own IP. Sure, it's easier, but that's literally the only benefit. In this situation, doing it the hard way works out far better and so taking the short cut anyway is silly at that point.

Of course it can be used to help people learn the basics but honestly is it helpful in any other way? I mean, a lot of the people here making fan-games ( I'm referring to people actually making fan-games, and not ripping and stealing sources ) already know the basics so in what other ways are they benefiting at that point to justify the "easy" way?
The only benefit you need to make a fangame is self-fulfillment. All other benefits are a bonus. This is a hobbyist website, no one is making WoW on BYOND. If you feel fulfilled by making a fangame, then do it. Hobbyists do what's fun for them. And if that happens to be fangames then so be it.

It's not a hard transition to just remove IP elements, but it's also not hard to put them in. IP can easily serve as placeholders for what you want things to be like.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
The only benefit you need to make a fangame is self-fulfillment.

Ok, now I get it. For some people, self-fulfillment is making trendy knockoff games that aren't worth playing. For others, self-fulfillment is pushing themselves to be as creative as they can possibly be and making the next original indie hit.

Sometimes when you are ( or were ) passionate about something, it's hard to relate to people who treat it as "just a hobby". When I joined BYOND in 05, making games wasn't a hobby. I wasn't doing this simply because I had nothing better to do. I was doing this because it was something I was borderline obsessed with. I've also always held myself to a really high standard and I would refuse to release things I felt were "not good enough", which is why I only uploaded 2 games to the site and even those games I was sort of hesitant to show to other people because I hadn't "perfected" them yet.

Perhaps it's always easy to be nonchalant about things you don't care about. People on BYOND make crap games because they don't really take games seriously. But I did, and still do even though I don't make games anymore. I do the same thing to programmers. Whenever I see posts from people on BYOND about efficiency and programming habits, I just sit back and scratch my head because I think it's all irrelevant. My philosophy is that it doesn't matter how good your programming is - if you suck at making games, no one is going to play your games. Efficient programming just makes your game perform better in terms of lag or crashing, but it doesn't ensure that the game will be fun.

But at the end of the day, I think all of that because I don't like programming in general and I don't really care about it, but some of you guys do. To some of you, programming is not "boring" or just a hobby you do for giggles. You guys take it seriously and take pride in your programming, and some of you resort to talking down to others for having bad habits and not taking it as seriously as you do the same way I've been getting snappy at people over the years for not taking game design and making original concepts seriously ( because those were the things I felt were most important ).

Maybe we can just conclude that all of these things are important. Self-fulfillment, programming, art, design, they're all crucial. And we can also conclude that all of us get a bit anal when people appear to not give two shits about things we're passionate about.
I can respect that.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:
The only benefit you need to make a fangame is self-fulfillment.

Ok, now I get it. For some people, self-fulfillment is making trendy knockoff games that aren't worth playing.

When I first started, I didn't even want to make a game. I didn't want to program. I just wanted to slowly level up in a world as similar to Dragonball Z as possible, and even now there's still not an official game for that. So I made a "fan-game".

But, while I was ripping and stealing IP, I fell in love with programming. I started to think up ideas just to try out programming concepts.

Thanks to my obsession with DBZ, and determination to experience that particular game-type, I found the only thing I'm actually any good at; programming.

Since then, I've got a Master's degree, worked for IBM, and now work in defence with cutting-edge tech.

So, in my eyes, starting with fan-games is okay. I'm glad I did.
EmpirezTeam wrote:

The struggle for artwork is real, placeholders can only last so long. :(
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

Indie games never had a "professional artwork" requirement. That may be true for some commercial games to appease the CoD-obsessed generation, but indie games in general have accepted and even embraced retro, minimalist etc. styles of art.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

Indie games never had a "professional artwork" requirement.

That was said why? Of coarse they don't.

That may be true for some commercial games to appease the CoD-obsessed generation, but indie games in general have accepted and even embraced retro, minimalist etc. styles of art.

Again, why?

I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is have you seen my art skills? They're horrid and I can only bare to use them for so long before it turns me away from the project. Which is why I've been through like 5 bases with platformer.

tl;dr
et goes off-topic
I'm not sure why I said it.
Page: 1 2