ID:1752852

Hi there, I was wondering if I can get a critique on this sprite I made using Graphics Gale. It's my first time doing pixel art (as I am usually a programmer) but I thought I'd learn pixel art since times are tough and money is coming in slow.
I suggest you look at a few character bases at the scale you're base is.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/playstation/

I feel the head is too small, and the torso is too long, and the eyes are too big for the head. I'd say make the head longer, and the torso shorter. Seriously, there isn't much space for hair overlays, or did you think you'd do a pixel shift or something? The color choices aren't bad except for the 0,0,0 black. Don't do that because it's not natural, unless you're I guess doing something man made.Same with the white. @_@

I reshaped and played with the colors a bit, I love sliders. [._.]'

photo ByondHelping3_zps4c072308.png

Ok, so some things I did were extend the legs, sink them in to show the knee cap, kind've exagerrate the feet. I made the head longer and overall made the Human base...more human lol. Hope to get some thoughts on this. Especially on the hands, I always think they're going behind him, something I wish to get rid of.
I liked the spacing on the legs in the previous image. The he is misshapen in this and the arms don't feel relaxed or dynamic. The arms aren't long enough as the hands don't pass the crotch.

Ok, here's version 3 with what you reccomended. How does it look now?
The proportions still need some work, the shading in the legs needs fixing too.

Here's an example of proportion from a similar style:
Yeah the legs don't indicate much; like, where are the knees for example. However, it is a small character base so it might be too much of an issue. You might want to make sure there is room for the arms and legs to move. Oh, and also overlays like swords and spears if that's going on in your project.