ID:1754055

I'm just curious if a game inspired from the classic likes of Doom, Quake, Hexen, etc would be possible in BYOND?

I have a feeling it could, but it would probably be a pain in the arse.
In response to LordAndrew
Well, now I feel like a pleb.
Dawncaster doesn't take floor and ceiling heights into account. It's pretty much based on Wolfenstein 3D and not so much like Doom. Getting floor and ceiling tiles to be textured would be sort of difficult to do in BYOND considering transform matices are only 2D (3D projection doesn't exist).

However, D4RK3 54B3R was working on a 3D rendering system in BYOND using triangles, but it suffered from massive lag when too many triangles were on screen. BYOND isn't really suitable for such 3D rendering, and since developers don't have access to the pixel buffer of the map control directly, it'd be sort of difficult to implement 3D drawing commands.

You could try using sprites in 3D space like I did here, although it also suffers from the lag issue when too many sprites are on screen at once.

Using sprites together to create an entity is pretty nifty as you see here.
I would also like to point out that not only are they rendered completely differently but also Dawn Caster has verrry poor performance.

BYOND is not designed in the least bit to handle 3D graphics. Don't even attempt it, you're wasting your time.
For my silly 3d engine, the triangle limit is incredibly low.
For static polygons, it can do ~160 visible gouraud shaded triangles at 30fps.
For moving polygons, it can't even do 60 visible gouraud shaded triangles at 30fps.

The limit is a bit higher for flat shaded triangles or unshaded triangles, but there's still a number of problems with layering and polygon intersection that emerge from the fact that this isn't really a raster renderer. I can't implement a proper z-buffer.

You can probably make a decent wolfenstein clone in BYOND like Dawncaster or Vengeance 56, but something along the lines of Doom or Hexen or Daggerfall is something that has been challenging myself and a number of other ambitious developers. I'm not sure that it's possible.
I did attempt to implement quake-style shadowmapping for my silly 3d engine, but it hasn't been going well thus far.
my comment was deleted too and i am filing an account membership termination request. that'll hit the nazi mods right where it hurts.