Thought something was weird, specifically and to avoid confusion- what are the software requirements to build this?
In order to build this project you need Eclipse Luna (IIRC) and I've written it on a Windows machine.

The project should be loaded into a blank Eclipse Luna with support for Eclipse plugin development. I think you need to go to Help -> Install Software in the menu bar to use that, but I forgot the exact steps.

Anyway, running it is as easy as right-clicking the project (which IIRC is an Eclipse plugin project) and going to Run As -> Eclipse plugin to run it.

Then a new instance of Eclipse starts and you need to specify a workspace. This would be the BYOND workspace, at least for the test environment.
Erm, so while i've just been checking in here and there scanning over to try to get an idea of where this endeavour is currently at, would you mind directly explaining to me what the current state of this project is?
So if I understand correctly I need to take the github link install it as a plugin in my default workspace in Luna eclipse. Which versions of Luna Eclipse doesn't support plugins or rather which version of Luna eclipse are you using . What's IIRC stand for?

So far I tried using the github app to download byondclipse and to import it using eclipse import feature. But it immediately got warnings and errors. I'm on windows 8 64 bit and was using Eclipse IDE for Java Devlopers Version:Luna Service Release 2 (4.4.2)

I'll try to add it as a plugin.
I believe a video tutorial for setting up properly is in order if you want help with BYONDCLIPSE
You should've gone with a Netbeans plugin. Less cluttered IDE.
I was under the impression that there were some dependencies. I can try xcode next.
In response to Squizzle
Squizzle wrote:
You should've gone with a Netbeans plugin. Less cluttered IDE.

It's different from what I'm used to. I tried switching to Netbeans in the past but I found it to be sorely lacking in features. I haven't been following the Netbeans project so I don't know if this has changed by now.
In response to Squizzle
Regarding BYONDeclipse: All you need to do is download the Eclipse build for plugin developers and import the project into your workspace. You should then be able to run the project as an Eclipse plugin.

This starts a second Eclipse version with the plugin embedded. You'll have to specify a second workspace for the BYONDeclipse test environment.

IMHO writing this as an Eclipse plugin is a good approach because Eclipse already contains a lot of helpful bits of functionality. Don't want to re-invent the wheel if it can be avoided.
I get to many errors. Since it is IDE independent as Squizzle said how do I import it into visual studio.

How would I get this working with visual studio?

My errors in eclipse:
Note: I checked and I do have Java installed.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SirQuizalot>java -version
java version "1.8.0_40"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

Description Resource Path Location Type
AbstractHandler cannot be resolved to a type AddRemoveDMNatureHandler.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 16 Java Problem
AbstractUIPlugin cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-core/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/core line 9 Java Problem
AbstractUIPlugin cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm line 10 Java Problem
AbstractUIPlugin cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm line 10 Java Problem
AbstractUIPlugin cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project line 10 Java Problem
Assert cannot be resolved NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 28 Java Problem
Assert cannot be resolved NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 28 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 42 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 74 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type DMDoubleClickStrategy.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 79 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type DMDoubleClickStrategy.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 124 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 51 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 65 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 93 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 48 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 58 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 96 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 41 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 51 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 96 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 147 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 181 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 248 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 309 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type ProposalInfoModel.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 337 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type XMLDoubleClickStrategy.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 63 Java Problem
BadLocationException cannot be resolved to a type XMLDoubleClickStrategy.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 101 Java Problem
BEConfiguration cannot be resolved DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 204 Java Problem
BEConstants cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 30 Java Problem
BEConstants cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 30 Java Problem
BEO cannot be resolved DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 195 Java Problem
BEO cannot be resolved DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 231 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-core/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/core line 28 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-core/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/core line 39 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm line 28 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm line 37 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm line 28 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm line 37 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project line 28 Java Problem
BundleContext cannot be resolved to a type Activator.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project line 37 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 13 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 17 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 17 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 22 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 24 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 24 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 28 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 29 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 18 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 18 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 20 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 21 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 21 Java Problem
Color cannot be resolved to a type ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 23 Java Problem
CompletionProposal cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 91 Java Problem
CompletionProposal cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 96 Java Problem
CompletionProposal cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 101 Java Problem
CompletionProposal cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 106 Java Problem
ContentAssistant cannot be resolved to a type DMConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 94 Java Problem
ContentAssistant cannot be resolved to a type DMConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 94 Java Problem
ContextInformation cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 104 Java Problem
ContextInformation cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 251 Java Problem
ContextInformationValidator cannot be resolved to a type DMContentAssistProcessor.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/contentassist line 254 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type AddRemoveDMNatureHandler.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 38 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type AddRemoveDMNatureHandler.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 52 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 84 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 94 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 118 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 146 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 162 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 167 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 182 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 191 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMBuilder.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 295 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMDocumentProvider.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 12 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMNature.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 30 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type DMNature.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 57 Java Problem
CoreException cannot be resolved to a type XMLDocumentProvider.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 14 Java Problem
DefaultDamagerRepairer cannot be resolved to a type DMConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 72 Java Problem
DefaultDamagerRepairer cannot be resolved to a type XMLConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 60 Java Problem
DefaultDamagerRepairer cannot be resolved to a type XMLConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 61 Java Problem
DefaultDamagerRepairer cannot be resolved to a type XMLConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 65 Java Problem
DefaultInformationControl cannot be resolved to a type DMConfiguration.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 117 Java Problem
Display cannot be resolved ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 28 Java Problem
Display cannot be resolved ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 23 Java Problem
DMCodeModel cannot be resolved to a type DMNature.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 20 Java Problem
DMCodeModel cannot be resolved to a type DMNature.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 20 Java Problem
DMCodeModel cannot be resolved to a type DMNature.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 93 Java Problem
DMCodeModel cannot be resolved to a type DMNature.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 93 Java Problem
DocumentEvent cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 71 Java Problem
DocumentEvent cannot be resolved to a type NonRuleBasedDamagerRepairer.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 68 Java Problem
EndOfLineRule cannot be resolved to a type DMPartitionScanner.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 26 Java Problem
EndOfLineRule cannot be resolved to a type DMScanner.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 24 Java Problem
ExecutionEvent cannot be resolved to a type AddRemoveDMNatureHandler.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 18 Java Problem
ExecutionException cannot be resolved to a type AddRemoveDMNatureHandler.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 18 Java Problem
ExecutionException cannot be resolved to a type AddRemoveDMNatureHandler.java /byondclipse-project/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/project/ builder line 38 Java Problem
FastPartitioner cannot be resolved to a type XMLDocumentProvider.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 23 Java Problem
FileDocumentProvider cannot be resolved to a type DMDocumentProvider.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 10 Java Problem
FileDocumentProvider cannot be resolved to a type DMDocumentProvider.java /byondclipse-dm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dm/editors line 14 Java Problem
FileDocumentProvider cannot be resolved to a type XMLDocumentProvider.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 11 Java Problem
HashMap is a raw type. References to generic type HashMap<K,V> should be parameterized ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 13 Java Problem
Iterator is a raw type. References to generic type Iterator<E> should be parameterized ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 16 Java Problem
Map is a raw type. References to generic type Map<K,V> should be parameterized ColorManager.java /byondclipse-dmm/src/com/byonddev/byondclipse/dmm/editors line 13 Java Problem
Looks like you don't have the Eclipse plugin API in your build path...
I got the Luna build. Do I need to download some sort of plugin. Or should it just run as a plugin.

I imported the project, but it doesn't automatically run as a plugin as you suggest it should. It doesn't build without errors so I figure that should mess with the whole running as plugin process but enlighten me.

How do you run a imported project as a plugin.

You should then be able to run the project as an Eclipse plugin.

This starts a second Eclipse version with the plugin embedded. You'll have to specify a second workspace for the BYONDeclipse test environment.
http://station.nullquery.net/temp/eclipse.zip
Warning: 200+ MB

Designed to be extracted in C:\Temp but I'm sure you can figure out how to switch workspaces in Eclipse.

Right-click the "byondclipse" project, go to "Run as" and select "Eclipse application".

A new instance of Eclipse should run. There should be a test project there. If not, you can create one by creating an empty project, then right-clicking the project and going to "Configure -> Enable BYOND builder".

Note that this is far from finished. I'm not able to work on this at the moment, but if someone else wants to pick up the pieces this could gather momentum.

What works is automatic compilation on a build (if the BYOND Builder is activated using the steps described above) and what should work is .dm files with syntax highlighting.

I'm not sure about the rest. There is a framework set up for this but again, it's nowhere near as complete as I'd hoped it would be.
I think you're trying to help so thanks cause I appreciate it. Since you seem to understand the project do you mind giving me a high level overview of what it suppose to do and how it should interact with Dream Maker? Again thanks.

I tried using your eclipse even unzipped it in the temp directory it gave me such and such error:
---------------------------
Eclipse
Java was started but returned exit code=13
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaw.exe
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.7
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-jar C:\Windows\Temp\eclipse\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar
-os win32
-ws win32
-arch x86
-showsplash C:\Windows\Temp\eclipse\\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_4.4.2.v20150204-1700\splash.bmp
-launcher C:\Windows\Temp\eclipse\eclipse.exe
-name Eclipse
--launcher.library C:\Windows\Temp\eclipse\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20150204-1316\eclipse_1608.dll
-startup C:\Windows\Temp\eclipse\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar
--launcher.appendVmargs
-exitdata 1a64_94
-product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product
-vm C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaw.exe
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.7
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-jar C:\Windows\Temp\eclipse\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar
OK

I see the same errors using your project with the eclipse I already had installed, also not sure windows 8 has run as.
Looks like it's running on the wrong version of Java?
200 MB?
1.8.0_40

Isn't enough?
This is what I get when trying to open a DM file with the plugins enabled: http://pastebin.com/yXkfBWKj
You got farther then me. What version of Java are you building with?
Page: 1 2 3