ID:1755074

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
What it says on the tin: Could we get some documentation on the WebClient, as currently none exists.

Note: mini pieces of documentation that is spread about the forums or only linked in random forum posts is not documentation, and is not counted when i say currently none exists.

As it stands right now, attempting to do anything webclient is an endless mess of shifting thru forum posts hoping one of them leads to some insight relating to what you are currently researching.

Things to think about when building this documentation:

Url arguments. I've seen things mention as url arguments to the webclient address (popout=1,popout=2,etc), how about documenting these? I still don't know what they do (but i can guess)

documenting all javascript classes and functions accessible from the various scopes of the web client (in non guide form, this should strictly be a reference, so no, that one file about webclient skins linked in the forums doesn't count)

PS: As a side note: Could mods delete or warn any posts that reply without reading this post solely with content or arguments already addressed in this post? This forum really has an issue with that.
I'm not sure if this is the "forum link" you are referring to, but the main document at this moment is http://files.byondhome.com/LummoxJR/webclient_doc.html (this is mainly referenced from our announcement for the webclient: ID:1668480, which has a bit more information.

This document should cover everything you need to make and call custom controls, which is what the webclient does. There are no specific javascript and function limitations-- you can use whatever javascript you want.

You are correct, we should bundle this with the software, so will do so in a future release. We can try to put it in more of a reference format too, although there are very few built-in commands and they are all covered in that document.

The url-arguments are internal for usage for skin embeds. If there is some need to make this public, we can document it, but what we'll probably do is provide various "embed" codes that users can use from the DD output.
Yeah, the URL parameters really aren't important; they're strictly internal to code we use, and in fact subject to change.

The classes aren't really documented, although I think it'd be good to document the various classes that get setup for colors. It'd be better not to need those classes at all and provide some minimalist support for CSS vars (since browsers are bad at this, but we have the ability to parse the stylesheets), but that's a later enhancement. Other classes, like the various ones used specifically by controls, don't really merit documentation because they're used only by the control.

Pretty much all the JS functions are documented in that link, though. Looking at it now, I believe the default winsetfn list should be expanded as there are more properties covered now by default than there used to be, but that's the only obvious weak point I see. If there are other things you specifically still have questions about after reading the doc, though, I'd be very interested in hearing them. Any feedback that can improve the doc, or even something like a FAQ, is welcome.
I've added sticky post id:1755294 to address the need for a FAQ and hopefully provide a one-stop place for all big questions. If you have any further questions, technical or basic, please feel free to ask there.