ID:1755781

For a few months now I have been wondering why my SSD has been losing disk space when I haven't installed or downloaded anything. Yesterday I finally encountered a problem while programming. I compiled and it said, "Unable to write Dialog.dm". I recompiled. Compiled again. Copied the contents, closed it, opened it again, pasted the contents, compiled, failed. CTRL+S. Failed. I copied the contents again and decided to look at task manager to see if "ANYTHING" could be touching it. Nada. Nothing.

Finally, I looked at my disk space. 0. Yep. First time in my entire life that I've ever had my disk space go flat empty. I've gotten close, but never hit it.

I started quickly deleting everything useless in program files, moving videos from SSD to HDD, and other things that would help. Surprisingly enough, none of these dented the disk space.

It wasn't before long that I began doing process of elimination. I selected multiple folders and tried to find the ONE folder with the MOST disk space used. I finally came across this little devil below...

As such, I closed all BYOND Programs and cleared the cache. It got ridiculously big. REDICULOUSLY HUMUNGOUS!

THE END
Xirre I do appreciate your compliment at the end of this post, but you didn't have too.
Wow, 22 GB on BYOND. My BYOND space (at the college for my 2 projects) isn't even 12 MB.
In response to Ripper man5
Ripper man5 wrote:
Xirre I do appreciate your compliment at the end of this post, but you didn't have too.

All for you, sir. All for you.

Lugia319 wrote:
Wow, 22 GB on BYOND. My BYOND space (at the college for my 2 projects) isn't even 12 MB.

This accumulated since February 25, 2014. I think it's a collection of all of the games I had to visit on BYOND to verify that they aren't rips when users apply for a free server from me. That, and compiles seem to have also done a number on it, considering the fact that it happened as soon as I compiled (which is odd).
thats because the narto nerds always have like 300mb games for some reason
In response to EmpirezTeam
Frogs are big. The bigger the frog the better the game.
Are you over-provisioning on your SSD? Filling it up all the way is not good for it and will almost certainly shorten its life.

As for me, my BYOND folder is about 800 mbs. Hard to believe you got yours that big.
I have 351 files (97 folders) - Takes 144MB.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Are you over-provisioning on your SSD? Filling it up all the way is not good for it and will almost certainly shorten its life.

As for me, my BYOND folder is about 800 mbs. Hard to believe you got yours that big.

I only have Unity3D and other IDE/Engines on my SSD for fast loading. Games and everything else are on my HDD. I never suspected BYOND to get bigger than a Gig so I left it on my SSD so it loads faster. Looks like that was a big mistake. My SSD is 128GB.

I try to be gentle to the SSD since it is the thing that can, in the blink of an eye, screw your entire life over if you don't have important things backed up. I've had a friend have his fail on him and he tried all sorts of fancy stuff to retrieve his 3D Hair Physics project. Which I must say, he put in a crap load of work in to. I'd be mad for him if he lost it.

As for mine taking up so much memory, it's really like ET says. Narto nerds be havin' dem OP games. When I have to check servers twice a day (almost 30 games, if not more), it really adds up after loading resources.

Lesson learned today? Dropbox or Google Drive your big projects that your life depends on.
I'm not nearly close to 22GBs...but this is mine since around April.

WinDirStat is my goto for situations like this
In response to Metamorphman
Metamorphman wrote:
WinDirStat is my goto for situations like this

Or just fix it yourself like I did.
windirstat doesn't fix anything. it gives you a visual representation of where your disk usage is concentrated. would've made it instantly obvious that the byond folder is suing up so much space.
Metamorphman wrote:
windirstat doesn't fix anything. it gives you a visual representation of where your disk usage is concentrated. would've made it instantly obvious that the byond folder is suing up so much space.

I stand by what I just said. Or just fix it yourself. You could easily pinpoint where your disk usage is concentrated with a simple right click. Not only that, you get the leisurely of exploring parts of your computer you normally don't. Which also allows you to see things you've never seen before. Which also allows you to better understand what's going on with your computer at all times. Which also allows you to rid your computer of other nasty problems.

In my opinion, using any third party programs to manage your computer is just a waste of knowledge. I don't even use an anti virus. I may scan files and do other things to verify that files I download aren't dangerous. But, if they turn out to be dangerous, I always have a plan to remove them. That is, if they don't wipe my whole hard drive before I can do so.

In the event that a serious virus does manage it's way on to my computer and/or device, I simply install a free trial of McAfee, scan for an hour or so, go afk and do something else, come back, uninstall the PoS (Yes, PoS because it does nothing but scan when you're doing important things, at important times, and bottlenecks your PC for no apparent reason and lags your network as well), and continue on with my day.

I haven't had a need for an anti-virus in years. Nor have I had a need for any third-party disk management tools since 2002. Why? Because of what I said. I know what's on my PC. Try it, you may like what you find.
With everything I've ever worked on with BYOND since I joined, I've only used 3.2 gb's. And there are a lot of projects lol.
In response to Xirre
No thanks I'm happy without the tinfoil hat. DW I'll report back if WinDirStat is a trojan I'll be vigilant.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Why? Because of what I said. I know what's on my PC.

Clearly.
Ah, Thank you Metamorph, I've actually been trying to remember the name of that program for quite some time, very helpful.
In response to Chwgt
Chwgt wrote:
With everything I've ever worked on with BYOND since I joined, I've only used 3.2 gb's. And there are a lot of projects lol.

The highest I have ever seen mine was 2GBs since 2006. I typically cleared my cache since then. I guess since now that I always have Shell Server open I never bothered to clear it.. still... it piled up a LOT!

I'm so confused as to what the hell is causing this. All I am doing is compiling and over time.. it just piles up.
Page: 1 2