ID:1763451

Problem description:

I'd like to change a mob/obj's transform without effecting it's underlays.

Right now when I change color, alpha or transform it would effect all overlays and underlays, while handy it also effects name tags, I'm currently using dmi font plus and I don't want to find an alternative to name tags.

If anyone came up with a workaround for this or has any ideas, I'd love the help.
As I toyed with it I eventually came up with one solution, I apply transform to the name tag opposite to the transform I apply to the icon, the 2 cancel each other resulting in a normal name tag.

However, this requires re-generating the name tag every time I want to do a change, I kinda want a better way to do this.

I can't directly apply transform to underlays/overlays, that will result in a runtime that says transform can't be applied to images created with loc=null.

The other downside to this is that unless the change is instant (if I use animate), you'll see the name tag start with the change and move to normal.

If you need a demo to toy with, I can provide that, basically I just want a good workaround for this.
Bump.

Did anyone manage to find a workaround for an issue similar to this?
One thought would be to set a blank object at the user's current position and then switch the name tag to that object so it stays in that position. This object could be thought of as an anchor. Make sure the player can keep track of it while doing the transform. After the transform is done, add it back to the player and delete the blank object.
If the transform is fixed and known--not being animated--one thing you can do is create a dummy overlay with the opposite transform, and add the original overlays to that. You'd do something similar for any underlays if present.

For the time being, there is not a setting available for overlays to keep transform, color/alpha, or blend_mode from impacting them. I'm open to such an idea, except that I have no idea what such a feature would look like. I would hate to have multiple vars tacked on for this, so the system to do something like that would have to be intuitive. There's at least one thread on this in Feature Requests if you have any ideas to add.
I actually made that feature request, suggesting one extra variable, one containing bit flags. Lately I've fallen in love with flags, one variable for many many options.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1763636

The name I chose for the variable is definitely a placeholder. I didn't want to bump the feature request because I figured that you're just busy with more important tasks, if the problem is with the design I'll try to refine it further.

For transform, an opposite transform on the overlay/underlay works, I just couldn't quite come up with "opposite" alpha or color, I suppose for that Xirre's idea helps.

I just wanted to have the best temporary workaround as I'm sure sooner or later a better solution will appear, I have that blind faith, anyway, thanks for the replies, they're helpful.
In response to Rotem12
It would be nice to have "opposite" color. It wouldn't just be rgb components above 255 (like icon.SetIntensity); gray would make it halfway between its initial color and pure white. Or something like that.