ID:1764949

Hello everyone,

This is an attempt to get my game listed, gain followers and iron out a few bugs!

I would like this game listed so people can start seeing my development logs in the Game Updates second of the forums. The game is in a playable state and I am currently hosting it on a test map for testing purposes.

Now on to the goodies! I have a few things I added to the game I need tested for bugs... Those include, but aren't limited to the following:

- Melee Combat System
- Training/Leveling System
- PvP System
- Brawler Class!

A few things to help get you started:

Tab = Auto Target
Q = Block
W = Low Combo
E = Mid Combo
R = High Combo
T = Throw
1 - 0 = Hot Keys (Drag the skills to the action bar and press the number associated with it)

A New Character gets 1 Low Combo Strike, 2 Mid Combo Strikes and 3 High Combo Strikes! These can be increased through training!

Next to the action bar you will notice a few icons. The + will allow you to allocate your stat and trait points gained through leveling. The speech bubble with the three ... will allow you to chat to the world and the pvp will allow you to toggle your pvp status on or off.

If you like sound effects, make sure you have your audio enabled! It makes the combat experience much more realistic and enjoyable!

Those are the basics, if you need to know anything else... Feel free to ask me in the game! Click on the banner below to join!

photo NakamaOnline2015-01-18073324_zps3835f5a7.png
Feels like you're trying to do a lot, all at once. I don't see how one person can accomplish everything you're trying to do. Doesn't seem possible in any reasonable amount of time.
I appreciate your concern, however, I have a crazy amount of motivation, dedication and focus! I'd like to think I'm the exception and I'm striving to set an example for everyone else.

I want to prove to everyone you can do anything you set your mind to, and I am going to will this game into existence by myself and prove to everyone that doubted me wrong, that I set out and accomplished what I said I was going to do. So I studied the language and I keep honing my pixel art skills and so far this is what I have.

There will be an open alpha release somewhere between March 1st (My birthday), 2015 and March 7th, 2015.

Any thoughts on the game so far?
In terms of the fighting mechanics. I'm not sure what each type of combo does. The blocking is alright but I'd like to see the ability to parry. Meaning that when you block you have extra time to hit your opponent, making it worth while to block.

Also, seeing as you're using keyboard controls maybe you could use the feature:

set hidden = 1

For commands you want to hide.

Also I think it could be good if attacking someone in melee would move you closer to them if you're not within striking distance.
The combo's determine the parry. If you do the same type of combo attack as your opponent at the same time, it parries the attack and both players only take a fraction of the damage it would have caused otherwise.

Edit: Mind elaborating on your parry idea? It sounds interesting but I'm not exactly comprehending what your wanting too see. It sounds like you want the parry effect to be linked to the regular blocking and not an offensive blocking effect like it is now?

Thank you for pointing that out, lol. I didn't even notice some verbs weren't hidden and has been fixed.

A friend of mine whose opinion I highly respect mentioned the same thing concerning moving closer when attacking, however, I have that designed for people with special abilities.

For Example, if you have rubber powers, you gain +1 attack range per level in that skill among other things as well.

PS: All Devil Powers only give passive abilities and mold into your class. A Brawler who has the devil power rubber, won't get the same thing a Swordsman who has the same devil power. Granted some things they will share, like being immune to lighting attacks.
Thank you to everyone who joined the game and help find bugs and give feedback!

I'm going to work hard and iron them out and get this game one step closer for you all and myself to enjoy!
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Feels like you're trying to do a lot, all at once. I don't see how one person can accomplish everything you're trying to do. Doesn't seem possible in any reasonable amount of time.

Are you friggin' kidding me? http://kotaku.com/19-year-old-kid-creates-badass-fighting-an ime-1679185130 DO YOU SEE THIS!? Now, it's possible in a reasonable amount of time. That is, if he's Asian. Only an Asian can accomplish such a feat. Nobody else.
I'm Black, Puerto Rican and German. I guess there is no hope for me lol.
In response to Chickenlegs
Chickenlegs wrote:
I'm Black, Puerto Rican and German. I guess there is no hope for me lol.

There can only be Juan.
Lol, your funny. I wish you would have gotten a chance to test the game while it was up. Hopefully you catch the next one coming up! :)
Ah, so combos are really just different types of hits, like in Street Fighter? That's kinda (very) misleading if so.

The mention of the Devil Powers has me interested in what your game is going to become.

I too work on a game solo (paying for the art) and have been for a while now. It's definitely manageable and it's a lot of fun as well, akin to how an artist enjoys their artwork. The hard part isn't the programming, but getting all of the art made, and in a timely manner. (Of course there are other variables unaccounted for, like project scrope, programming experience, ...)

Good luck.
I have this feeling this game is totally a one piece game trying to lower its chances of getting a C&D. Whether it moves beyond that or not is up to something actually being done with this project.
In response to FKI
I thought a combo was a string of attacks with strict timing limitations. I'll try to explain it better and then you can tell me if there is a different terminology I should be using instead of combo.

Example: The W Key is considered a "Low Type Attack". You start off being able to press this button once before it goes into a cooldown. Adding Skill Points into your "Low Type Attack" will increase the amount of strikes you can do by +1 before it goes into a cooldown state for x amount of time.

If you and another player simultaneously press the same type attack, it will create a parry effect dealing only a fraction of the damage it would have caused if you got a clean hit.

Each time you use a "combo attack", a random attack animation is selected to flick between the ones available. (Currently adding more)

This is the current melee system in place, however, I have been thinking of different ways to spice it up. If you have any ideas I am open to suggestions.
I will be hosting the game again momentarily! Putting the final touches on a few things and it will be my last update for the day.
Oh, now I see. I had the impression they were single attacks just labeled low, medium, and high.

The melee system sounds alright in words, I can't say much without testing it and knowing more about the game. Maybe I'll catch it next time.

In response to Chickenlegs
Chickenlegs wrote:
Lol, your funny. I wish you would have gotten a chance to test the game while it was up. Hopefully you catch the next one coming up! :)

I like this guy. I'll test the next one.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
I have this feeling this game is totally a one piece game trying to lower its chances of getting a C&D. Whether it moves beyond that or not is up to something actually being done with this project.

Sorry it took so long, I ran into a few hosting issues. Nonetheless, the game is up and ready for combat testing!

http://www.byond.com/games/Chickenlegs/NakamaOnline

Not going to address the strong suggestion that you are making One Piece game? It would be nice to have a definitive answer.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Not going to address the strong suggestion that you are making One Piece game? It would be nice to have a definitive answer.

I'm making a game inspired by various things. This is not a One Piece game. You have your definitive answer.
Page: 1 2