ID:1766599

Currently when I release my game I plan to have the typical gear grind in mmos, but when people are done that and max level what else will keep them? of course that would probably be in the pvp aspect, so yes i know i should add duels and pvp matches with respectful awards. But what else do you think can keep a player staying, is pvp competition enough? or does anyone have any greater ideas their willing to share.
Considering hardly any users usually get max level unless you've made it very easy. I feel like that's the least of your worries.

What you have is an 'end game'. Where everything that can be accomplished has been accomplished. Most mmos have an end game so it's not like your game is different from this.

Most MMO's are made by teams of people who just release new content every few weeks to keep things going but the end-game is ultimately inescapable.

In my view it's better to have a good run, enjoy it and then be done with it. I feel like it's a bit greedy to decide that your game is the only thing you want your players to be playing.
In response to Zecronious
yes i get your point. I'd just want to know what can keep engaging a player, but i guess your right. Once you hit a certain point with a game its no longer enjoyable and you have to try something new.

and players will hit max level in my game fairly easily at least untill i start wipping out more content, I plan to release my game in a demo state possible 20 hours im hoping to get to endgame. I guess they might come back once I make some substantial additions to make it feel fresh again
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
In my view it's better to have a good run, enjoy it and then be done with it. I feel like it's a bit greedy to decide that your game is the only thing you want your players to be playing.

This. I'm sick of theme park MMOs where you spend all of a day getting to maximum level, then spend forever at maximum level obtaining marginally better gear forever. I'd rather have a game where it takes me a while to get to maximum level, but I have fun getting there.

Could you imagine if other games used this MMO formula? You'd pick up a RPG, start it, finish the story in about an hour, then spend the next 29 hours fighting the last boss. Sounds dumb, doesn't it?

Anyway, if you want people to keep playing, you have to give them enough things to do. If the game is 6 hours long, don't expect them to play for 60 hours.
As long as the base of the game is solid and fun, all you need to do is make a lot of things for the players to play through.
In response to The Magic Man
Just for your personal opion what would be fun getting to max level, what would make it great?. I'm taking the theme park model but after some thought I've come up wit a few ideas to make it less so and an alternative to a gear grind im thinking of too for end game.