ID:1767510

Keywords: unreal
Tell me friends what can BYOND do that it cannot?
Make a 2D multiplayer game really easily.
How so? These tutorials seem easy enough.
Those tutorials are not easy. I tried to follow the instructions in that video and my house went up in flames. I don't have renters insurance so I'm going to have to reorder all new Justin Bieber posters to replace the ones I lost in the fire. Don't ever link a video like that again.
Justin Bieber first success he said never say never. Don't give up EmpirezTeam if you can figure out BYOND you can figure out that tutorial. It's twice as easy. BYOND best feature I think is it's optimization toward text based games. But other then that I can't think of anything. Imagine if Dream Maker's map editor was bundled with node based scripting. That would be something else.

I'm thankful BYOND restrictiveness to top level things really unlocked another level of my creative problem solving as I look at Unreal.

Lol for those anime people here 70% it's like I was wearing weights then took em off once I discovered Unreal.
In response to Sir Quizalot
too bad you can't even make a game in dream maker, otherwise unreal engine would be a cinch!
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
too bad you can't even make a game in dream maker, otherwise unreal engine would be a cinch!

I'd say "shots fired" but that wouldn't even do this remark justice. That wasn't just a shot fired, that was a freaking barrage of nuclear missiles!
In response to Sir Quizalot
Sir Quizalot wrote:
How so? These tutorials seem easy enough.

At exactly what does he cover '2D' ? Unreal is a 3D engine. Completely unrelated.
Not unrelated at all. Unreal is a perfectly viable option for making 2D and 3D games alike.
In response to Fugsnarf
Doesn't provide any source. Please link some 2D games made in Unreal.
In response to Zecronious
Ur mom.
Zecronious wrote:
Doesn't provide any source. Please link some 2D games made in Unreal.

A simple Google search will find you plenty of examples.

I found this in about 4 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bqb8LSDARk
Sir Quizalot babbled:
...what can BYOND do that it cannot?

um..what? o.O

oh wait...the context was in the title of the post. how silly of me. carry on!
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Ur mom.

Shots fired!

But, anyways. I don't see the point in this post. Unity3D easily supports 2D and I've made a few single player 2D games in it and 1 multiplayer 3D game (unfinished). What was done in that video by Quizalot can be done in Unity3D and many other engines.

Hell, it makes me feel like making one of those stupid blueprints for Unity and putting it on the app store for money now. I just may do it. With server-server, client-client, and client-server functions.

My previous networking script sent data to users in a certain range and looped through only users in a certain area (town or designated section). Making it very easy to have a crapload of people on one server. RPC's limits though were a pain to work around.

The difference is that BYOND is easy-to-use, quick to set up, quick to manage, light, and doesn't get cluttered as easy as other engines do. In my opinion, BYOND is a very simple engine which is great for simple games.

In response to Fugsnarf
Last I checked that's not a multiplayer 2D game.
Zecronious wrote:

True. Still, shots fired.
Zecronious wrote:

You didn't ask for a multiplayer game, you asked me to prove if you could make a 2D game on Unreal. I've already proved that it's a viable option. Since you can make multiplayer games as well, logic would dictate that you could obviously make a 2D multiplayer game.
unreal could make LAN support
while BYOND gives shit about YOU DON'T HAVE OPEN PORTS
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Zecronious wrote:

You didn't ask for a multiplayer game, you asked me to prove if you could make a 2D game on Unreal. I've already proved that it's a viable option. Since you can make multiplayer games as well, logic would dictate that you could obviously make a 2D multiplayer game.

Shots fired!

The SFPP ( shots fired per post ) in this thread is too damn high!
Page: 1 2