This post has gotten a little too close to the money aspect of this. Personally, while I agree it's nice to make money for the time and effort you have put into something, I enjoy what I do with BYOND. I'm now 27 years old and have been fiddling with BYOND on and off since I was about 12... Some people posting here may not even BE 15 years old...

The fact that I can make something from seemingly nothing is amazing. And other people can VERY EASILY enjoy what I've created? *Mind Explodes* Have I ever published anything? No. Instead, I have a game that I have been developing since I was 16 years old. A few select friends and I play it on a regular basis. It is anything and everything WE want out of an ORPG, without the loud, often annoying "background community" that most have to deal with in MMO's. I've never published it because I'm afraid of what BYOND (the community) will do to my baby, despite the large amount of money I could potentially make if I did.

I'm perfectly content with the satisfaction I get when I know I have created something that others are enjoying. As for the team I am building with help from this post, we do intend to begin a modest crowd funding campaign, but this is mostly to acquire things like original art and music. Of course, any overflow will flow into the pockets of all those involved for their effort, but this will not be a project to try and make a "successful steam game" or "profitable venture"
And with the birth of my son a year and a half ago comes an almost endless opportunity to use BYOND to make SINGLE PLAYER games tailor made for my "Little Champion"
This post has gotten a little too close to the money aspect of this.

Build a game without the intention of profiting from it and you'll build yourself a marvelous game. After it is build, profit from it. It's not hard to change up minor things to make it for profit. Such as purchasing clothes and some minor non-game-breaking features that the players know will be going straight to supporting the developers (most of them don't care about supporting devs though, which means you still need an incentive).
If you're not interested in turning a profit, why not just add profitable features and donate directly to BYOND?
Since the point is to focus mainly on ensuring the game is of quality. Once you got that done, THEN you can try to start making a little money.
In response to Gtgoku55
Gtgoku55 wrote:
Since the point is to focus mainly on ensuring the game is of quality. Once you got that done, THEN you can try to start making a little money.

So.. What's the progress on the game?
I don't, that's why I'm asking.
In the meantime, the past two weekends I've done two smaller games with teams of 3 and 4: An oculus rift, dual-controller physics game which is a throw-back to octodad, and a WW1-themed bullethell game where you are a pigeon delivering mail.

Perhaps you should be planning less and.. doing more ;)
Progress is astounding actually. Considering I have pulled a team out of practically thin air and gotten them organized enough to build a game is a win all in itself. We are all working very hard on something we aren't willing to talk much about, hence the lack of posts about progress. Do you guys really have nothing better to do than sit around and tell other people what their doing wrong?
In response to Pongy
No it's not, you didn't organize anything. This is an abysmal failure in all respect.

Whole thread is a train wreck, whole idea was a train wreck.
LMFAO. Because everyone knows you can read my pager messages and emails. . .
Have we ever started this project.
xD
In response to DarkNinjaNaut
DarkNinjaNaut wrote:
Have we ever started this project.

You're just the OG Wizard. Continue being the OG Wizard. Know your role. Same thing goes for everyone else. If you don't have a role, mind your own business. Get back to work.
If this actually had someone thats experinced in programming, designing and all that goodie stuff as a Group Leader or w.e, I would have joined but not the way its now.
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
If this actually had someone thats experinced in programming, designing and all that goodie stuff as a Group Leader or w.e, I would have joined but not the way its now.

Then don't? I don't think anyone is going to really care if someone in particular doesn't join. Honestly, you're wasting both your time and everyone else's time by merely posting your useless opinions here. This goes for everyone else who posted complaints about the matter. If your feedback is not constructive then shut the... *sigh*.
In response to Xirre
Stop being such a hypocrite, its getting boring seriously lol
I cast my black magic spell, To make us even more powerful!

Dev team: power level increased to over 9000!
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
Stop being such a hypocrite, its getting boring seriously lol

If you can't give factual evidence that I am being a hypocrite, then I think it's best you keep quiet. You're only making things toxic with your stupidity.

I've not once poked my head in to anything that had nothing to do with me here. I merely kept the post alive and updated the list of team members for people who apply here. It makes it harder to update the thread when there are people who are posting nonsensical things that are completely off-topic here. Not to mention it looks very bad when others come through and they have to read all this BS.

Just... stop. This post is about joining the team and contributing however you can. Yet, all you've done is bitch and banter. Grow up when people are trying to do something serious.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6