ID:1774541

I'm not really sure where to post this...

Anyway, I'm attempting to make a fantasy-themed, wolf-centered game that will be called simply Timberwolf. I don't think that the graphics will be all that great, since I'm drawing them myself and I'm out of practice in drawing with a mouse, but I'm thinking that the game will focus more on the gameplay, storyline and general ideas than the art.

If possible, it will be multiplayer-only. You could either play in sandbox mode or "quest" mode (because the game won't automatically force you to go on an adventure, but you can if you want). You start out as an average timber wolf, a Commoner. If you do certain things, you could be promote to the rank of Guard or Medic.

The Guards protect Queen Gemstone, the ruler of the island of Timber (which is where the game takes place), and the only arctic wolf remaining in the land; whilst the Medics assist wounded, dying, etc. wolves (similar to a medicine cat in the Warriors series, if you will, but different). Usually, the Guards' eyes are green (I'm not sure what the reasoning for this will be... contact lenses? Some sort of special paint?) and the Medics wear an oak leaf necklace. These are both to represent their status and work as a shout-out to other wolves that says, "Hey, look! I'm a (Guard/Medic)!" so that finding help is easier.

You also start out as a lone wolf (for unknown reasons, which will allow room for creativity - maybe your whole pack died, or you're just a dispersal? Who knows?). There may be a feature that allows you to start a pack with other players. It will most likely be a temporary pack, though. Your pack can also disband if you want, alongside being able to hunt and find a territory.

Besides that, there's also a storyline behind it. It explains a lot of the gameplay, so you'll probably want to read it. It's basically a brief (part of the) history of Timber. I'm not sure if this is good writing in terms of wording or not, but it's more about the idea behind it, anyway. I'm probably going overboard with the amount of detail in this, but I guess that's what happens when you write a lot.

"A long time ago, King Royal still ruled by Queen Gemstone's side, and all seemed safe. King Royal and Queen Gemstone were the only two arctic wolves who lived in Timber. But there was one day when that would all ultimately change. It didn't start that day, however; it started years ago. A newborn Rhodesian Ridgeback, unwanted by his owners anymore, was abandoned in an alleyway, located in the Abandoned City at the edge of Timber. But a pack of wild Norwegian Elkhounds found him, and they raised him in that very alley. He found a mate, a merle Shetland Sheepdog born in the wild and named for her coat pattern who dreamed of one day becoming a show dog. They were kind at first. The Ridgeback, who the Elkhounds had named Retriever, and his mate, Merle, were exploring the city, just taking a walk, when they heard cries coming from a tall apartment building. When they went in, they discovered several stray dogs trapped in an elevator. They were all either related or from the same animal shelter or both, so they were all mixes between an English Coonhound and a Finnish Hound. These dogs thanked Retriever and Merle for saving them; for sure they would have starved to death if not for them - and they befriended the two. The hound mixes became loyal to Retriever and Merle, who helped them survive. Even so, all of them were still hungry and parched and needed better land for territory. Then, one day, when they were all out looking for food, Retriever found the very alleyway he had grown up in. He wasn't surprised to find that the Elkhounds were deceased, but he was surprised by the fact that stray Samoyeds had taken over the alley. After speaking with the dogs, he discovered they were just as hungry and parched as the rest of them. The Samoyeds came with them, and a nameless band of stray dogs, lead by a wild dog and a stray raised by wild dogs, was formed. They searched far and wide for land, food, and water, but their searches were unsuccessful - until they found the mainlands of Timber, the capital named Pawprint - but it was already taken over by the wolves. It was ruled over by Queen Gemstone and King Royal, who were protected by many, many Guards, and assisted by Medics. The strays were outnumbered, but Retriever either didn't notice or didn't care. He declared a battle. Queen Gemstone was hesitant, but once he killed several wolves, she decided that it had to happen. So, the dogs and the wolves fought. Retriever had originally meant only to fight so that the strays could survive. But he saw how much power Queen Gemstone and King Royal had over the wolves, and he had always wanted that kind of power. Even though he had originally wanted that power so that he could help other canines... it's debated what exactly happened: some say his fighting instinct took over; others say that he gradually forgot what the strays were even looking for, and so on. But either way, Retriever killed King Royal - and he did so alone. Of course, Queen Gemstone was enraged by this. The moment she called out an order to the Guards, they pinned him to the ground, and she killed him. Merle was now also angry, but she knew that if she retaliated, she, too, would most likely be killed; so she and the other strays swiftly retreated. Though the band of dogs was nameless, the wolves hated them so much after the death of King Royal that they now call them the 'Flea Furs'. However, some of the strays have changed their ways and managed to befriend the wolves. These strays only want peace. Despite this, the rest of the 'Flea Furs' remain - the ones that now hate Queen Gemstone for killing Retriever. Merle has taken Retriever's place as their leader. She doesn't want to fight, but she does understand the strays' hatred of the wolves; namely, Queen Gemstone. And Queen Gemstone does not want to fight either, but she knows she must. She still grieves King Royal's death to this very day, but rarely ever shows it. A dog from that band of strays who manages to befriend her, of all wolves, is a lucky one indeed."

I'm also trying to make a logo for Timberwolf, but I can't seem to get it right.

There will most likely be a chat so that you can talk to other players, although I don't know if there will be a filter or not.

You'll be able to save your character, and see who is currently online.

Since the 'Flea Furs' still remain, you will be able to either fight (and possibly kill) the ones that still hate the wolves, or befriend the ones that have changed their ways. Or both; it's up to you.

I'm not sure if there will be a customization option for your character, since I'd have to draw a lot of icons, and, like I said, I'm out of practice when it comes to drawing with a mouse.

Places you could go would include Pawprint, the Abandoned City, and Queen Gemstone's territory. Those are the only ideas for places I have for now.

Now, I know this is a lot to try to put into the first game that I'm actually trying to complete in BYOND, especially when I'm so new to the software and keep getting so many compilation errors.

But it's mostly just an idea, and I want to try to just make a "preview" version of the game first. Maybe just a sandbox where you can walk around or something.

I want to see if I can make a good, original game about wolves, because every time I try to find a wolf-centered game, all that comes up is WolfQuest and Feral Heart. (Don't get me wrong, I love WolfQuest. But I think there ought to be more games about wolves. They're my favorite animal.) I've searched through Google about a thousand times and a thousand different ways and haven't found any wolf games I actually like except for WolfQuest. So I thought, "why not try to make my own wolf game?"

I actually have before, but on simpler software that was drag-and-drop. This is probably more complex than what I made on there, but again, it's just an idea.

Besides that, I actually have already started coding it. I'm going to need a lot of help with that, though, so I'll probably have a lot of threads in the Developer Help board.

So, what do you think?
i didnt read this but i just came to say the best idea is the idea you can finish.

ive had several good ideas, but never created them, so it doesn't matter how good they are, because they never existed and no one else knows about them.

look at projects in a "is this something i am 100% certain i'll be motivated enough to finish?" perspective rather than "is this a cool idea for a game?".
Cloud Magic wrote:
I concur

Bingo. Start with a small project if you don't have the time and resources to do a big project as well. I've completed many small projects by myself. Merely because they're like little mini-games rather than one big project that's long-term. I have, however, completed a few long-term projects. They just took, as I said, time and resources. Which I had at the time.

So, take this and make sure you have the required people/skills for your project before thinking of such a large scale idea. Based on how thorough this idea is, I'd have to say you are a very creative one. Good luck.