BYOND Hosting / Shell Server

by Xirre
A shell server (hosting service) for all of BYOND to use!
ID:1776853

Hey I purchased plan #2 on server #1 and I had difficulties getting my game on there. Then the server went down.
Fixing.

Edit: Fixed
Hey I am trying to host my game but it says the server is unable to open and it is possible that the port is already taken. I try various kinds of ports and none of them work.

EDIT: BTW: I uploaded .dmb file and .rsc file but I didn't upload the .zip file. For some reason it doesn't allow me to upload the .zip file.
.zips should be allowed. Ohhh... actually no. That was a change made. I'll add it to the list.
What about my inability to host? Is it related to the .zip?
Shouldn't be. Have you checked your errors log? I have a bet that it's to do with your compile version.
Well I got the download of the game from my hub. I don't think I have such errors there.
Did you compile this game under v506 or v507?
Mon Feb  2 20:05:00 2015
World opened on network port 7001.
Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Beta Version 506.1247)
Error: server is out of date (world compiled for at least version 507). You are running version 506. Please download the new version from http://www.byond.com/download/.

BYOND Error: world file from newer version is incompatible with this server

There's your error. Server 1 runs on v506. Server 3 is the only server that runs on v507.
So I should compile my game after I update it? Or can I just download the game from my server(without recompiling), update and then upload it?
In response to TheDarkChakra
TheDarkChakra wrote:
So I should compile my game after I update it? Or can I just download the game from my server(without recompiling), update and then upload it?

You need to download BYOND v506 (any minor version will do) and then recompile your game with your sources and upload it. You can downgrade your BYOND software here: http://byond.com/download
Hey server #1 is down again. Please put it back up asap I need to update my game. It is buggy :(.
Fixed. Also, think about adding an update verb in your game. It makes you less dependent on the actual server console since the server console can be unstable at times due to the constant DreamDaemon -> OS communications.
Update verb? How does it work? Please, elaborate.
mob
owner
Update(F as file)
set category = "Staff"
if (isnull(F))
return
var/filename = "[F]"
fcopy(F,"[filename]")
src<<"[F] was uploaded."

After you have uploaded your dmb (and/or rsc) file, reboot. Yes, a simple reboot. Not a shutdown. A reboot will update your game. Wait for it to say "file was uploaded." as verification that it was uploaded.
Done! I added that. It works!
You can continue to upload through Shell Server. But, in the case of a fault in the utility, that code will serve as a minor backup. I typically check the status of all servers twice a day. Server 1 has, by far, been the the one that crashes the most. I may have to turn off the CPU check system.