ID:1782190

I've been trying to purchase some S.A. art (for use in an actual project, in an actual game that will actually be played).

I am trying to go through the proper channels but can't seem to get a straight answer so I thought I'd ask here.

If any of the older spirit age team members could tell me :
Exactly how much art is in the package that is being sold I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm only interested in buying the art btw- not the source code.
You wont be able to buy it because they are using that art for another project outside of byond, as far as I know.
In response to Zasif
I was told the art isn't being used, they are replacing it with better art. Either way I just decided not to purchase it for various reasons.
Good call ^^
I also think if you really want to invest money into pixel art you can get a decent amount done with 500$ for sure. Dont do this by buying old art because they can just sell it over and over to other people aswell.

I recommand some good places where you can hire people likehttp://wayofthepixel.net/
In response to Zasif
I agree in general, except art takes time to make and artists tend to be very fickle people with shoddy work ethics *just my personal experiences*.

The point of purchasing pre-done art is that 1) it's done. I don't need to bother with trying to motivate an artist to do anything and 2) I don't have to wait for resources, I can freely make whatever I want without having to wait on an artist to "feel" like working.

I'm already aware of the methods you mentioned and I have tried them-several times. They always loop back into - "artists tend to be very fickle people with shoddy work ethics *just my personal experiences*. "

Infinite loop.
Why are you talking of motivating an artist when money is involved? That is the motivation. I'm not sure what you are doing but I've never had an issue paying a competent artist to get a job done.
In response to Avidanimefan
I've actually run in this problem aswell with novice/intermediar pixel artists, but if you find yourself a professional artist that is actually professional and he does this for a living, he could produce 500$ art in less then a week im sure of it.
In response to FKI
You pop up and say this everytime.....
Apparently you don't deal with the artists I deal with. I won't mention names out of respect but I was paying a well known artist from this community to do some work for me just a matter of weeks ago. In total about 300 for work that was about 15-20 hours of work total and nothing complex.(Not to mention he had about 2 weeks of time to do the job.)

He quit a week later, saying the generic "it's not you it's me" mantra.

In general artists are fickle by nature,I'd appreciate it if you stop defending them using your own personal experience as the sole basis for your claims. Maybe you're just lucky. *shrug*
Its not you bruh its me bruh, just u know I thought it would be less work cuz you know its pixel art bruh but turns out its me bruh Im to lazy bruh, deal with it bruh! Ignore for 5 months, then say Hello!

Its okay if you dont get it btw! :D
In response to Zasif
No that's basically...it.

Or "life happened*.
Usually they just always want "work" to feel like "fun". Even when they are paid. I personally don't get it, but I can't let someone else's indecisive nature slow down what I need to get accomplished so..that's why I'm willing to pay for pre-done art.
Avidanimefan wrote:
You pop up and say this everytime.....
Apparently you don't deal with the artists I deal with. I won't mention names out of respect but I was paying a well known artist from this community to do some work for me just a matter of weeks ago. In total about 300 for work that was about 15 hours of work total and nothing complex.(Not to mention he had about 2 weeks of time to do the job.)

He quit a week later, saying the generic "it's not you it's me" mantra.

In general artists are fickle by nature,I'd appreciate it if you stop defending them using your own personal experience as the sole basis for your claims. Maybe you're just lucky. *shrug*

... from this community ...

This isn't the place to look for professional artists (see: Zasif's post).

Stop generalizing and making it seem like all artists are the same as the ones you have encountered, because they aren't. I speak of my own experience to show comparison in approach. It's obvious it's not all artists who are fickle, especially if I and countless other indie developers can get what they want via outsourcing.

Learn how to do business that gets results, it's not as simple as just throwing money at a person. The "woe is me" attitude gets you nowhere.
Im willing to sell spirit age's art. Also see my post in classified ads. Im open to free lance work
Avidanimefan wrote:
from this community

There's your problem.
In response to FKI
Once again you're pretty presumptuous. You speak as if you know how I do business-you'd really have no clue. In fact on way of the pixel there's a whole post/article dedicated to this same exact behavior that has been observed by many people-so yes it's no "woe is me" pity party on my end.(Thanks ^_^)

I'm a realist I speak on personal experience and observation-that's not going to change anytime soon. There's really no proof to substantiate your claim that I'm "doing it wrong", that's just your opinion. My statements are backed up by actual experiences as well, fact and other people have validated them as well(many,many other people)-making it closer to "reality".

Fact of the matter is that most artists are free spirits, they work when they feel like it, and no amount of money you offer them will change that. Artists who tend to be flighty will only work on a project if it A) Interests them or B) it's theirs.

Even then most artists who are flighty will NEVER complete a single project-because in their minds they believe that pixel-arting should always be interesting or fun-or they simply won't do it,no ifs ands or buts about it. It never enters into the equation for these people that it will take some work,perseverance and willpower to achieve a goal.

This means you then need to find another way to motivate them to work,other than finances (by replying you realize you completely contradicted yourself right? At first you say "money should be the only motivation" then next reply is "well stop throwing money at them" ) Which is it?

I don't look down on constructive crit or help-don't get me wrong, but I've been freelancing for years in several places besides BYOND as well as offering freelance work myself from time to time. Nothing presented on this post is new to me - so drop the "expert" act please. I've known and visited wayofthepixel and deviant art forums several times in the past. Every time-same issue. Artists who work for a while, make all these promises, get the job then suddenly-life happens, they go back on their word, the gates of hell opened and my computer melted,etc etc. -_- My gosh. That has happened EVERY time with the exception of the first artist I ever hired-and I ended up paying him 1300 dollars for his work, he left the project on his own wanting to persue better things(guy wrote an e book about pixel arting and everything). 20 some artists later(and most of whom I can hire again-you know when they aren't busy battling dragons) and only 1 person out of that group was serious about making money? Show me the legions of outsourcers who get credible work done and I will gladly lick their boots and learn the ways of the force.

I'll finish by saying any of you "negative nancies" can keep that stuff on your side of the internet.
Edit: Short of kissing major a$$ I've tried everything.
Does that "actually" work?
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
I've actually run in this problem aswell with novice/intermediar pixel artists, but if you find yourself a professional artist that is actually professional and he does this for a living, he could produce 500$ art in less then a week im sure of it.

That's because if you hire a "professional" pixel artist, for $500 he'll draw you roughly two 16x16 images and then insist that is the going rate for artists.
Magic Man please answer to my PM's so I know if im allowed to use what I asked or not. ^^