ID:178255

I want to create a battle similar to that found in Ultima:Quest of the Avatar. There are currently no demos or libraries showing this. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it...
come on...someone must know something...
Star313 wrote:
I want to create a battle similar to that found in Ultima:Quest of the Avatar. There are currently no demos or libraries showing this. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it...

How's the battle system like?

/Andreas
In response to Star313
Star313 wrote:
come on...someone must know something...

Yes. We know this was too soon to bump your post.

If you want people to respond, maybe you should go into more detail about how the battle system in that game works, for the sake of the 99% of people here who never played it and don't know what you're talking about.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Sorry to butt in, but if I remember correctly it was turn based. A random encounter on the overworld map would warp you to a screen-sized battlefield resembling the turf the player was located on. Monsters were organized at the top of the map screen, while the players were at the bottom. This wasn't always the case, for sometimes you would be in a pincer position, or both monster and player starting positions would be randomized.

The player would have the choice to attack a monster in oview(1), cast a spell (mostly long range attacks fired in a straight direction), use an item in the player's inventory, parry to pass a turn and lessen the blow of an expected attack, or move one space in a given direction. After he/she has chosen what to do, the AI would calculate to move towards the player to attack short range, fire a long range weapon, or cast a spell.

I'm uncertain as to how the computer determined who went first, but I believe the player went first each round. This loop would continue until either monster(s) or the player died, or if the player moved off the map which acts as a retreat.

Considering this would be implemented to a presumably incomplete game, it sounds like a good deal of work. Great game though.
In response to Matic293
Well that pretty much covers it, but I want some changes. I want ranged weapons and spells to be only fireable in a cirtain range. I also want a speed stat to control the order of who moves when.