ID:178327

lets say i want to make a text game. If i want the player to start at a location (1,1,1) but this area doesn't have have a icon. Instead i want it to be a box kind of thing saying welcome,user name. how do i do this.
Here is an example...

turf
Start_Loc //Set Start_Loc What Ever You Want The 1,1,1 Tile To Be
Entered()
alert("Hey Sup? Welcome To My Game") // Switch This To What Ever You Want It To Say
usr.Move(locate(1,50,1)) // Change The 1,1,1 to the location you want them to go to

Shun Di, Out
Sevak wrote:
lets say i want to make a text game.

If you get anywhere with the text game, gimme a page on pager and I'll check it out. I'm a big text mud fan. ;)

- Malver
I don't know how much experience you have with DM yet, but if you're fairly new, my advice is to work with graphics until you understand them well enough to go without.

Also, a few people (including me) have created custom parsers that are ideal if you want to create something like a telnet MUD. But if that's not what you want, don't worry about it. But having a parser lets you do a lot of things that are especially useful for text games such as having repeating status messages and intro screens.

Eventually the parsers will get released, so you'll just have to wait for them.
Depending on the kind of text game you like, either FoomerMUD parser (I see Foomer has already told you about that) or either of TextMUD (2.0 is a little weak, 2.5 will be a helluva lot better,) BYOND Tabletop Gaming, or TBG (again, a bit weak like TextMUD 2.0.) I hear Zilal has some good MUD parsing matirial too, so you might want to get her e-mail and see what she can give in the form of advice and/or code libraries.

-Lord of Water
In response to Lord of Water
Also, if you're interested in a telnet style text-MUD, make sure you go through the ZBT3 tutorial.
BYOND Tabletop Gaming isn't intended for text MUDs. The program does not make any decisions or control game play. It leaves all that up to the game master. BTG (not to be confused with TBG) is a utility, not a game. It becomes a game when the game master makes it one.

I don't consider a program to be a MUD until it has some degree of autonomy. If BTG gets to the point where you can script out an adventure to be played while the gamemaster is away, then I would consider it a MUD.

(I know there are people who consider even basic chat programs to be MUDs, but that dilutes the definition in my opinion. That is more like dirty water than MUD. :P)
In response to Shadowdarke
But, if the DM is willing to sit in on a game, it can still be called a MUD. The only difference between MUDs hosted with BTG and FoomerMUD is that one is a continuous world needing no DM to run everything and one needs the DM to pay constant attention to it.

-Lord of Water
That and FoomerMUD offers a few things to do besides roll dice and kill monsters, like most table-top games I've seen :oP!