ID:1783417

Here's the second post for mine and Kaiochao's 2015 project.

I spent the week working on and fine-tuning some icons and making sure the layers were drawing properly. Kaiochao did a lot of work with internal things and we tag-teamed some glitches this time around, too.

It doesn't look like we did much, but this is a proto-type and we're still tossing around ideas for the gameplay mechanics.

We decided to add in some special effects too, if for nothing more than to see what we can get away with using BYOND.

The lighting is from forum_account's dynamic lighting library, the rain and lightning are our own.

We added more to the combat system this week too. We can now target enemies, which makes us face them, and then we can block which negates all damage except from behind. Damage is also increased whenever a character is attacked from behind. We didn't do any balancing yet, so it can get pretty hairy at times. haha.

As you can see in the video there's a pretty heavy need for teamwork at this point, which is something we're going to try and hold on to moving forward.

I'd also again like to apologise for the video quality. We'll try and find something better for our next video.

I am absolutely in love with this. The aesthetics are amazing. Animation is smooth as silk, the lighting fits the mood perfectly, and I LOVE the way the camera keeps both characters in frame like a local singleplayer game. Definitely reminds me of something you'd see on XBLA or PSN.

Keep up the good work guys!
Very interesting I just hope you can run I hate slow movement.
Looking good. Will it still be set within the Hazordhu universe? Needless to say, I'm still around if/when you need music.
Most likely in haz yeah. Id love to have you do the music again, but we're saving it until we've got some story and levels done, so it fits the tone of the moment.
In my opinion it looked better without the lighting system. What's the point in doing lots of nice retro art then covering it up with black mist? I don't see the gains, unless maybe it was night time in that video.
In response to Zecronious
F0lak wrote:
We decided to add in some special effects too, if for nothing more than to see what we can get away with using BYOND.

Aside from that: setting the tone for portions of the story: night time sneaking, dark dungeons, blah blah.

For right now we just did it to try it out.